VCOM Post-Bacc Program 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so nervous because of that! I emailed Ms. Hewitt and this is what she sent:

"Thank you for your email and interest in our program. Regarding the letter writers, yes, you may have your current supervisor write a letter for you and this will meet the professional letter requirement. I do know that the admissions committee does like to see that you have some shadowing experience with a physician and so a letter can also help to support that. If you have a physician you’ve worked with who is able to write a letter, I suggest including your supervisor’s information as the official professional letter writer, but also request that the physician send in a letter on your behalf.
The letters may certainly come in after the application, we actually don’t match up letters to files until we’ve received and processed applications, so that’s not a problem. Just note, all materials must be received before your application will move into the queue for processing in preparation for review by the admissions committee."

So I don't know what to do!

If you have a strong application, with good volunteer (both clinical and non-clinical) and leadership hours, I think you should submit the application with your supervisors LOR. If you are non-traditional, like myself, I think there is some give in the process. Be confident in your application and add a stellar PS when you submit! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied with no MCAT or GRE or SAT.

Classes are from 8-12pm, most days. I think I read that in a forum a year or so back.

Yup, class is from 8-12pm. Some days, we have to stay about an hour after either for exam review before the test or for a seminar.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that they usually let people know their decision on Fridays, is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, class is from 8-12pm. Some days, we have to stay about an hour after either for exam review before the test or for a seminar.
Thanks, what are your thoughts on the program? Would you recommend it?

Any input on how current class load is like, and have any of your classmates already been accepted into DO program from the first semester grades alone?

Thanks, what are your thoughts on the program? Would you recommend it?

Any input on how current class load is like, and have any of your classmates already been accepted into DO program from the first semester grades alone?

I would definitely recommend the program. Most of the professors honestly want you to succeed and will go out of their way to help you. Multiple professors will come in on their own time and give us an exam review or help us with any questions we have regarding the material.

The class load is honestly not THAT bad, the only tough part was during a span of 2.5 weeks when we had Monday, Friday, Monday, Friday, Monday exams consecutively. After that, the 1 exam per week schedule became a joke. When we got back from winter break, we were told that 38 of us were accepted out of 86ish at the start. (I'm not sure if it was all to VCOM or to VCOM and other schools.) I know we lost a few people who got accepted to other schools and didn't come back. We also lost a handful of people last semester due to grades or they just didn't want to do it anymore. The people who were not accepted in December were told different things depending on their situation, almost everyone is being considered for March acceptance (unless you got a C or had below a 3.2 GPA) -- basically they look at the MCAT again if you retook it and then see your midterm grades and make a decision based on that.

Reactions: 5 users
Nothing yet on my end! When were you complete? I was told by March I should hear something. Completed application in December

I have a 26 MCAT, 3.33 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA. What do you think my chances are at getting into the program? I'm kinda worried since I'll be applying late.

Does anyone know how many people they usually accept?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the number is closer to 100

Really? That's good! I was just looking through last year's forum and a guy said his class was around 60, so I just assumed that's what it was! But I'm glad it's more than that!

Was it a bad idea to not send in a Personal Statement atop the essay question responses? I wrote a whole PS but at the last second decided not to send it because I felt there was just too much layover between it and the essay question responses. I hope they don't think it was omitted due to laziness.

Stupid question but the program is intended for people who are trying to go either DO or MD correct?

Anyone else applying to other programs if so, which ones?

Last edited:
Anyone else applying to other programs if so, which ones? I am currently applying to VCU as well and have been accepted into the George Mason (GeorgeSquared) programs.

BU, Tufts, Midwestern, maybe LMU-DCOM once I get more info. Also applied to an MPH program in my state.

Just MD schools in and around the Virginia area? Or elsewhere, as well?
I think majority end up going to VCOM but it can be any school afterwards regardless of location or allopathic or osteopathic schools. If not VCOM it usually is the easiest to matriculate into a school that resides within your state.

Anyone heard anything back yet?

Anyone heard anything back yet?

I talked to admissions. They are updating and revamping the entire VCOM website. It's supposed to launch in March with all the documents you need to secure your seat after admittance. She said once it's launched, she can send out official acceptances. In case anyone wanted to know.

The wait sucks!

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys hear about having your app complete? I sent in everything a while ago - unsure if they've received/processed the app though.

Did you guys hear about having your app complete? I sent in everything a while ago - unsure if they've received/processed the app though.
I would email them. They are very nice and respond very fast! :)

I emailed them! They usually get back within a day or two!

Ah, thanks! It looks like they did receive it -- it's being processed and seems like it'll be mid-late March before hearing anything (maybe earlier for you all who submitted earlier).

Hey guys! I just applied to VCOM's post bacc. I have a lot riding on this program so I really hope I/we all get in!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely recommend the program. Most of the professors honestly want you to succeed and will go out of their way to help you. Multiple professors will come in on their own time and give us an exam review or help us with any questions we have regarding the material.

The class load is honestly not THAT bad, the only tough part was during a span of 2.5 weeks when we had Monday, Friday, Monday, Friday, Monday exams consecutively. After that, the 1 exam per week schedule became a joke. When we got back from winter break, we were told that 38 of us were accepted out of 86ish at the start. (I'm not sure if it was all to VCOM or to VCOM and other schools.) I know we lost a few people who got accepted to other schools and didn't come back. We also lost a handful of people last semester due to grades or they just didn't want to do it anymore. The people who were not accepted in December were told different things depending on their situation, almost everyone is being considered for March acceptance (unless you got a C or had below a 3.2 GPA) -- basically they look at the MCAT again if you retook it and then see your midterm grades and make a decision based on that.

Hey! I know that VCOM isn't eligible for federal loans, so how would you recommend financing it? Also, how much did you find yourself studying/was it reasonably doable or really hard to maintain the 3.6? Just trying to decide between attending here (which is my 1st choice) and LECOM (2nd choice - already was accepted).

Hey! I know that VCOM isn't eligible for federal loans, so how would you recommend financing it? Also, how much did you find yourself studying/was it reasonably doable or really hard to maintain the 3.6? Just trying to decide between attending here (which is my 1st choice) and LECOM (2nd choice - already was accepted).

I financed it through Sallie Mae. A bunch of my classmates went through wells fargo I believe.

So it definitely wasn't easy. And absolutely nothing like undergrad. But if you put in the work, the 3.6 is 100% attainable. I highly recommend finding a good study group so you can all hold each other accountable and whatnot -- for us, a normal day was 8am-12pm class then we would all go home, get lunch, take a nap, w/e, and then meet up at 4pm and we would study until probably 9-10pm. This was pretty much every day. On the weeks that we only had one exam, we would usually take a day off of studying or just cut every day short. I had the same choice (between VCOM and LECOM) and I'm glad I chose VCOM. The professors here really go out of their way to help you -- to the point where if you do poorly on a test, it is 100% your fault and not the difficulty of the test. Honestly as long as you treat the 4 months (July-November) as a full time job, you'll get your December acceptance and just coast through the spring semester. You really don't want to have to have the pressure of going through March review when all the campuses start filling up.

For those of you who are also applying to their DO program this cycle, do we need to do anything special if we're using the same LOR's and transcripts, or do they attach them to the post-bacc app automatically?

For those of you who are also applying to their DO program this cycle, do we need to do anything special if we're using the same LOR's and transcripts, or do they attach them to the post-bacc app automatically?
Once their DO program has rejected you, you have to email the post bac program notifying them of the decision and your want to transfer the application from the DO program to the post bacc. The only additional work you have to do is fill out the application. Other than that, everything transfers over smoothly.

It's finally March! Let's hope we all hear something soon!

Once their DO program has rejected you, you have to email the post bac program notifying them of the decision and your want to transfer the application from the DO program to the post bacc. The only additional work you have to do is fill out the application. Other than that, everything transfers over smoothly.
but what if the DO program puts me on hold and won't tell me rejected until june? that'd be too late for postbac app, no?

but what if the DO program puts me on hold and won't tell me rejected until june? that'd be too late for postbac app, no?
Just looked at their website and they said "All applications and supplementary documents must be received by April 15th to be considered on time." I would give them a call or send an email to see what they recommend you to do. If I was in your shoes, I would do the whole application ASAP and send everything directly to the program's office (transcripts, LORs, MCAT score, etc.)

I financed it through Sallie Mae. A bunch of my classmates went through wells fargo I believe.

So it definitely wasn't easy. And absolutely nothing like undergrad. But if you put in the work, the 3.6 is 100% attainable. I highly recommend finding a good study group so you can all hold each other accountable and whatnot -- for us, a normal day was 8am-12pm class then we would all go home, get lunch, take a nap, w/e, and then meet up at 4pm and we would study until probably 9-10pm. This was pretty much every day. On the weeks that we only had one exam, we would usually take a day off of studying or just cut every day short. I had the same choice (between VCOM and LECOM) and I'm glad I chose VCOM. The professors here really go out of their way to help you -- to the point where if you do poorly on a test, it is 100% your fault and not the difficulty of the test. Honestly as long as you treat the 4 months (July-November) as a full time job, you'll get your December acceptance and just coast through the spring semester. You really don't want to have to have the pressure of going through March review when all the campuses start filling up.

Thanks, I feel like it's more attainable now. Did you still have to apply through AACOMAS or did you just get an acceptance letter?

Thanks, I feel like it's more attainable now. Did you still have to apply through AACOMAS or did you just get an acceptance letter?

It's definitely attainable as long as you can find the right study group that will push you to study every day. People who studied on their own typically struggled the most. It definitely isn't easy but its doable, which is important. You still have to apply through AACOMAS and submit a secondary, but theres no interview. Basically what we're told is that we're on a year long interview in the program.

I know! Hahah I submitted my app in December and there's really no other way to get a status check without either sending an email or calling them :(
:( so annoying we should find things to distract us from constantly thinking about this haha

This wait is killing me! Hopefully we find out something very soon!

Reactions: 1 users