This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven't even met??? I applied in November for crying out loud! When I called them at the end of February I was told my application was under committee review so what is the truth here. This is very upsetting. I don't know if this is the new relationship with Bluefield that has caused such a delay but nonetheless, very upsetting. I feel for the people who have leases to renew or not to renew.
Yeah they told me the same thing! Application under committee review! Keep praying, there is absolutely nothing we can do at this point. Hang in there !

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah they told me the same thing! Application under committee review! Keep praying, there is absolutely nothing we can do at this point. Hang in there !
VCOM transferred my AACOMAS this past Monday, yesterday I spoke with Shiela at MABS, and she stated that no application has been reviewed/sent notification of acceptance or rejection to the program. She did not provide a timeline for review, only stated we would receive an email. I’ve looked through the thread, and it appears this seems to be a consistent response with other requests. Has anyone heard differently?

VCOM transferred my AACOMAS this past Monday, yesterday I spoke with Shiela at MABS, and she stated that no application has been reviewed/sent notification of acceptance or rejection to the program. She did not provide a timeline for review, only stated we would receive an email. I’ve looked through the thread, and it appears this seems to be a consistent response with other requests. Has anyone heard differently?
Did you have to transfer or do anything else by yourself after they transferred your AACOMAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the thread for last year's post-bacc with lots of good information that I highly recommend reading through. I am a current post-bacc and can answer questions as well.

2017 Post Bacc Vcom
How much emphasis do they place on an underprivileged background? I found this on their website, "the program supports the mission of both VCOM and Bluefield College by attracting individuals from rural areas, low socioeconomic status backgrounds, and underrepresented minorities, although acceptance is not limited to individuals from these groups". I do have a low socioeconomic status/background, so I'm curious.

All things considered, gpa, letters, applying early, etc.; I think your status certainly carries some weight but metrics are the most important factors as far as first impressions go, however, if you and another student were the same on paper but they were from Manhattan or San Diego and you being from a low socioeconomic background, I think you would have the one up on them. I also do not think you could apply right now with the deadline nearing and think you are going to walk right in because of your background, but that is just an opinion based on nothing much.

All things considered, gpa, letters, applying early, etc.; I think your status certainly carries some weight but metrics are the most important factors as far as first impressions go, however, if you and another student were the same on paper but they were from Manhattan or San Diego and you being from a low socioeconomic background, I think you would have the one up on them. I also do not think you could apply right now with the deadline nearing and think you are going to walk right in because of your background, but that is just an opinion based on nothing much.
I had my DO application transferred in January. I was just curious after seeing that on their website.

I had my DO application transferred in January. I was just curious after seeing that on their website.

I think having applied DO helps as well because the programs understand the effort you have just gone through and they would like to help you out by placing you in some program. Did you apply to vcom and they contact you about their post bacc or did you call them and ask to have your accomas reviewed by their committee?

Did you have to resend it add anything after having it transferred?
No, I didn't have to add anything. I called the admissions coordinator at VCOM Carolinas and she transferred my whole application including my letters of recommendation. The transfer process takes a couple of weeks though.

I think having applied DO helps as well because the programs understand the effort you have just gone through and they would like to help you out by placing you in some program. Did you apply to vcom and they contact you about their post bacc or did you call them and ask to have your accomas reviewed by their committee?
I called the admissions coordinator at VCOM Carolinas to get an update on my DO application. She told me that my stats aren't competitive for the DO program, but they are competitive for the master's program. I just asked her to transfer my application.

I called the admissions coordinator at VCOM Carolinas to get an update on my DO application. She told me that my stats aren't competitive for the DO program, but they are competitive for the master's program. I just asked her to transfer my application.

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.26 sGPA
3.54 cGPA
498 MCAT
Interesting. With your stats, I would have assumed better luck with direct admission. You should definitely receive some love from the Masters program - at least your stats say so. It’s hard to say anything with confidence given the fact there’s been no movement with the Masters program yet this year. Here’s to hoping!

No, I didn't have to add anything. I called the admissions coordinator at VCOM Carolinas and she transferred my whole application including my letters of recommendation. The transfer process takes a couple of weeks though.
Okay thank you!!

Did you have to transfer or do anything else by yourself after they transferred your AACOMAS?
No, I was not required to do anything. Sheila confirmed receipt of my application transfer, and said she had all she needed. All I had to do was wait for an email...

Does anyone on here have other programs they have to give decisions to soon but are waiting on VCOM's response?

Does anyone on here have other programs they have to give decisions to soon but are waiting on VCOM's response?
nope, still haven't submitted my app for vcom but that'll be the only thing i'll be applying for

You haven't submitted your application to the VCOM post bacc?
no i've been waiting to hear back from the Fee assistance program. Based on what everyone's saying here, it sucks that they haven't read anyone's application so im not sure whether that'll put me at a disadvantage over people that applied early (also a Virginia Tech student)

Nah I bit the bullet and paid the deposit for my other post bacc acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
no i've been waiting to hear back from the Fee assistance program. Based on what everyone's saying here, it sucks that they haven't read anyone's application so im not sure whether that'll put me at a disadvantage over people that applied early (also a Virginia Tech student)

I did not know there was a fee assistance for post bacc applications. I think being a tech student will help but you are quite late in the cycle; however, you should still submit an application because you will never know unless you apply.

I did not know there was a fee assistance for post bacc applications. I think being a tech student will help but you are quite late in the cycle; however, you should still submit an application because you will never know unless you apply.
yea thanks! goodluck to u and everyone else

Geisinger MBS

So if you get into VCOM are you going to revoke your Geisinger offer? I have done the same thing with Case Western because they were the first program I heard from, but If I hear from VCOM I will decline my acceptance to Case.

So if you get into VCOM are you going to revoke your Geisinger offer? I have done the same thing with Case Western because they were the first program I heard from, but If I hear from VCOM I will decline my acceptance to Case.

It's tough because while Geisinger is an amazing MD school and the post bacc has linkage (guaranteed interview), VCOM would let me go to medical school in my home state. My whole family is here and my wife has a career here so that has it's own appeal. Also, it's hard to beat guaranteed acceptance.

It's tough because while Geisinger is an amazing MD school and the post bacc has linkage (guaranteed interview), VCOM would let me go to medical school in my home state. My whole family is here and my wife has a career here so that has it's own appeal. Also, it's hard to beat guaranteed acceptance.

I am right there with you. My wife and I have family very close to Blacksburg and we are about to have a new baby so it only makes since to stay close. Plus VCOM is actually guaranteed acceptance with no gap year and VCOM is a very family friendly school and location. At the end of the day you have to ask yourself what really matters in life. Although Case and Pitt programs as well as Geisinger are appealing and sound very competitive they are usually at least one full year plus the gap year to apply. They have "linkage", guaranteed interview but that is after you have met their requirements, 80-90th percentile MCAT and high GPA. One thing about Geisinger MBS I did like though was the scheduled MCAT review coarse and the stronger med school like curriculum.

Current GCP student, and if it helps to ease some anxiety I did not get my acceptance until June so don't stress!

how long did it take to get verified? just submitted my app

Looking back at my last rec
Current GCP student, and if it helps to ease some anxiety I did not get my acceptance until June so don't stress!

That causes more stress. I was hoping to move by June, but at least there is still hope. Does your current GCP have the same benchmark dates? Did you already have the MCAT before entering or take it during the program?

Just wanted to comment on the timeline. I applied February 2017. Didn’t even bother to ask maybe because I had crazy shifts at work was too busy. Second week of June is when I received an acceptance email. Couldn’t attend though deferred my seat to this year. Will be attending this fall.

Just wanted to comment on the timeline. I applied February 2017. Didn’t even bother to ask maybe because I had crazy shifts at work was too busy. Second week of June is when I received an acceptance email. Couldn’t attend though deferred my seat to this year. Will be attending this fall.

Are you speaking of the post bacc still or VCOM med school. I believe the program begins this summer.

I hope and believe everyone on here is going. Can’t wait to meet you all

I do as well! I feel somehow, someway we'll be okay. One day we will all get an email at the same time and then the feed will blow up with everyone's acceptance notices.

Reactions: 5 users
I do as well! I feel somehow, someway we'll be okay. One day we will all get an email at the same time and then the feed will blow up with everyone's acceptance notices.

I love your optimism. Somehow, I feel the opposite. I'm just waiting for my rejection email. Dunno why...

I love your optimism. Somehow, I feel the opposite. I'm just waiting for my rejection email. Dunno why...
Try and stay positive. This process is such a grind mentally, and can carve up your confidence. Until they say no, you've got a chance. And a chance is all you can ask for.

Looking back at my last rec

Yep already had the MCAT and the benchmarks are still the same
That causes more stress. I was hoping to move by June, but at least there is still hope. Does your current GCP have the same benchmark dates? Did you already have the MCAT before entering or take it during the program?

Submitted my application and got verified within 12 hours... I am not sure if this is an indication that they are finally starting to review application but good luck to everyone!

Cool! I am also a tech student! Are you graduating this year?

Did anyone have letters stored in Interfolio and was told by Sheila Bard to submit them via email?

I emailed my letters to [email protected] as per the lady I talked to on the phone. I was verified in February. I called around March to make sure my application is complete and the same lady told me that it was missing letters. I then told her that she told me I can email them. She found the letters in her email and said she would put them in my application. This was early March.

I called today to ask about the status of my application, and the same lady told me my application wasn't complete and I was missing letters. She said she cannot change the system and that my application will say incomplete, but that she will write a note about my letters.

I doubt that the admissions committee would go through my whole application just to find the "letters have been sent via email" note if my application is marked as incomplete. I am devastated and frustrated. I am mad at myself for not asking my professors to submit via postbaccas and taking the easy way to send them. I am also appalled that she told me it was fine to send them via email, then told me the second time that my application would be okay, and now telling me that I am put in the incomplete file.

It is now completely up to her whether my complete application will reach the admissions committee. I truly doubt it would after what happen the last two instances. Sorry for the long vent.....if you sent your letters via email...please call and make sure she has done it.

Last edited:
I just withdrew my application, and have transferred all of my materials over to the Master's program!!