This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That’s one of the ones I’ve reached out to! Lol thank you! I’ve been creepin on all those sites/apps pretty non-stop recently

That’s one of the ones I’ve reached out to! Lol thank you! I’ve been creepin on all those sites/apps pretty non-stop recently

What's your budget? Check craigslist as well. Sometimes they will have some okay places. My wife and I were gutsy and signed a lease back in March/April before we even found out from the program so we were fortunate enough to secure housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reed Property Management

The cost of attendance is kind of Skimpy for the area if you ask me.

Oh yeah absolutely. Blacksburg is quite a competitive housing market. There isn't much going on around Blacksburg and all the jobs are in Blacksburg. Anything I looked at that was very affordable as in <1000 was a dump. My wife and I looked at one place I think in Cburg and it did not have any lights, the driveway was a WWII bunker and it was built on an Indian burial ground. They wanted 1550/month.

Oh yeah absolutely. Blacksburg is quite a competitive housing market. There isn't much going on around Blacksburg and all the jobs are in Blacksburg. Anything I looked at that was very affordable as in <1000 was a dump. My wife and I looked at one place I think in Cburg and it did not have any lights, the driveway was a WWII bunker and it was built on an Indian burial ground. They wanted 1550/month.

Yeah I agree. Luckily I Have Veterans benefits that will pay for my tuition so I will have extra money to live off of with federal loans. It’s almost impossible to get a decent place by yourself without a roommate on the budget.

Received acceptance email this morning. Does anyone still look for a Male roommate?

Hi, I have a 518 MCAT but a 2.4 GPA. I emailed the program, but only mentioned that my GPA was lower than 3.0. She (the admissions coordinator) said that they would make an exception for me and that I might be good for the program. Does anyone know the admissions rate of high MCAT low GPA? Also, is that good news that she said that? Also, for admittance into VCOM, do we submit another ACOMAS application, or are we automatically accepted? Thank you!

I got in with a 2.4x and a 25+. ;) You are very fortunate they are considering you though considering they got rid of grade replacement this year and the competition has skyrocketed. That MCAT probably turned some heads since it's MD-competitive.

You only do AACOMAS once during the post-bacc and it works for all campuses, then once you get your acceptance you're in.

Last edited:
If you meet the benchmarks within the program, is the AACOMAS still required for acceptance into the D.O. program? Or is that only if you wish to apply to other D.O. programs for the next academic year, including the VCOM campuses if the benchmarks don't work out?

I can't find any information about that on the MABS website -- to me it just sounded like acceptance was contingent on meeting the MCAT and GPA requirements. I attended VCOM-VA's open house in the spring, and the dean of MABS explicitly said that people in the program shouldn't simultaneously apply to VCOM.

Yes it's required even for the guaranteed acceptance. It's just a formality that all students have to fill one out and doesn't have an impact on anything unless you're applying to other schools as well. You don't simultaneously apply to VCOM and this program. You fill out AACOMAS for the *next* year for VCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree. Luckily I Have Veterans benefits that will pay for my tuition so I will have extra money to live off of with federal loans. It’s almost impossible to get a decent place by yourself without a roommate on the budget.
During the post-bacc I lived in a 2 bedroom for $900 on Cedarfield Dr. - tad expensive maybe but well worth it
Turned other bedroom into a study room - maximized so much time to grind and for those late nights making sure I got that all important GPA. I suggest this for you if you can't find a single.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in with a 2.4x and a 25+. ;) You are very fortunate they are considering you though considering they got rid of grade replacement this year and the competition has skyrocketed. That MCAT probably turned some heads since it's MD-competitive.

You only do AACOMAS once during the post-bacc and it works for all campuses, then once you get your acceptance you're in.
I have a question, so when you say we have to fill out AACOMAS for next year do we have to find recommendations and shadowing doctors and all that? I also have a question about the mcat, do they consider the highest score or the most recent? Also do they help you find doctors to Shadow? I’ve never shadowed a DO before only MD so I’m concerned that maybe they will need a DO recommendation. Thanks.

I have a question, so when you say we have to fill out AACOMAS for next year do we have to find recommendations and shadowing doctors and all that? I also have a question about the mcat, do they consider the highest score or the most recent? Also do they help you find doctors to Shadow? I’ve never shadowed a DO before only MD so I’m concerned that maybe they will need a DO recommendation. Thanks.

I'm not positive since previous posts have implied otherwise, but I was told that the same application would be used for DO admissions so it won't be necessary to reapply via AACOMAS or have additional LORs submitted. Maybe this has changed since last year or maybe the person that told me this wasn't entirely informed, but they've been working with the program for years, so the former seems likely.

And I am almost positive it is acceptable to have only a MD letter as a MABS student applying to the DO program, but it obviously can't hurt to double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not positive since previous posts have implied otherwise, but I was told that the same application would be used for DO admissions so it won't be necessary to reapply via AACOMAS or have additional LORs submitted. Maybe this has changed since last year or maybe the person that told me this wasn't entirely informed, but they've been working with the program for years, so the former seems likely.

And I am almost positive it is acceptable to have only a MD letter as a MABS applicant but it obviously it can't hurt to double check.
Thanks

And I am almost positive it is acceptable to have only a MD letter as a MABS student applying to the DO program, but it obviously can't hurt to double check.
I’m accepted in the program and will be attending this fall I’m just dreading going through the application process again with AACOMAS because I thought once you’re accepted in the program and meet the benchmark in the fall then you’re past the whole application process

If they told you you won't need to do it again, I would listen to them. We didn't have postbaccas the way you guys do.

Also Maibiba don't worry about the application process if you do need to do it again. It's literally a formality and the only thing that matters is your performance in the program. You wouldn't need to do any additional work if you were missing a letter, etc. The only letter that matters is the one from the school they write for you at the end of Fall semester saying you were a good student (everyone gets it unless you cheat, etc.).

If they told you you won't need to do it again, I would listen to them. We didn't have postbaccas the way you guys do.

Also Maibiba don't worry about the application process if you do need to do it again. It's literally a formality and the only thing that matters is your performance in the program. You wouldn't need to do any additional work if you were missing a letter, etc. The only letter that matters is the one from the school they write for you at the end of Fall semester saying you were a good student (everyone gets it unless you cheat, etc.).
Thank you

Hey guys, this is a question for those that have already completed the program. Do you think I can do anything to get a head start, or should I just wait till classes start and then start studying? I have a bit of time before classes so I wanted to jump on the opportunity. If I should study, do you guys have any suggestions on which books I would need, or study materials, etc?

Hey guys, this is a question for those that have already completed the program. Do you think I can do anything to get a head start, or should I just wait till classes start and then start studying? I have a bit of time before classes so I wanted to jump on the opportunity. If I should study, do you guys have any suggestions on which books I would need, or study materials, etc?

Don't pre-study anything. Just enjoy the remainder of your free time.

I looked at the enrollment for classes and looks like there are only 2 spots left in the program.

also does anybody know if you have to personally go into the my bc portal and register for courses or are you automatically enrolled becasue i went to the my course registration and it said that there was an issue

also does anybody know if you have to personally go into the my bc portal and register for courses or are you automatically enrolled becasue i went to the my course registration and it said that there was an issue
Automically enrolled. There are 2 spots left on the class registration. Clicking on a random class will say 128/130 students

Automically enrolled. There are 2 spots left on the class registration. Clicking on a random class will say 128/130 students
Damn 130 in this years class... matriculation to the med school rate def going to drop

Damn 130 in this years class... matriculation to the med school rate def going to drop

From the post bacc or from traditional route? Technically, if you meet benchmark you are matriculated to one of the campuses. I could see them eventually branching out and trying to create linkages with other DO schools in surrounding Appalachian like regions like TN and KY.

From the post bacc or from traditional route? Technically, if you meet benchmark you are matriculated to one of the campuses. I could see them eventually branching out and trying to create linkages with other DO schools in surrounding Appalachian like regions like TN and KY.
I just mean I think the level of the post-bacc is upped esp since it is now a masters and certain things that transpired last year...

I disagree with your second point - the only thing I could see changing is the auto-acceptance being a interview promise, like every other post-bacc or the MCAT benchmark being moved up closer to 500.

I just mean I think the level of the post-bacc is upped esp since it is now a masters and certain things that transpired last year...

I disagree with your second point - the only thing I could see changing is the auto-acceptance being a interview promise, like every other post-bacc or the MCAT benchmark being moved up closer to 500.

Ah yeah that would stink. It is kinda strange it's an auto accept. It's like accepting someone to med school based on resume and metrics alone. Although, the entire program is like an interview everyday haha.

Ah yeah that would stink. It is kinda strange it's an auto accept. It's like accepting someone to med school based on resume and metrics alone. Although, the entire program is like an interview everyday haha.
I mean if you can get a 3.5 in this program, then you'll do fine in thier block schedule - that's why the auto acceptance exists. The program has been running for years so the proof is in the pudding. We were told countless times that GCP students go on to be some of the highest GPA and best board scores VCOM has to offer - not becuase of what we learned, but moreso HOW to learn and being geared up for med school, unlike other people coming straight out of college and those out of school for awhile.

I have nothing but great things to say about the program - it was literally my lifeline at being a doc so I'm eternally grateful and will never forget my time in Blacksburg.

Onward and upward to South Carolina now...

What are these things that transpired last year?

how many people usually go into this program fulfilling the mcat requirement, and how many people make it through the program itself, attaining 3.6 and achieving a 494++

how many people usually go into this program fulfilling the mcat requirement, and how many people make it through the program itself, attaining 3.6 and achieving a 494++
The first I don’t thing can be given because of privacy and I didn’t see it anywhere on the website. The second was found on this thread a few times look through it. I think somebody said 70+% made the first bench mark and more mad the second. Not entirely sure though could be wrong it’s in this thread tho and on their website

The first I don’t thing can be given because of privacy and I didn’t see it anywhere on the website. The second was found on this thread a few times look through it. I think somebody said 70+% made the first bench mark and more mad the second. Not entirely sure though could be wrong it’s in this thread tho and on their website
That's wrong.
About 50% made Dec marks. Another 20% made bench marks by May.
Started with about 114 in program. Ended with about 100. I'd say 70/100 got into a VCOM school.

@kelminak can confirm

Last edited:
That's wrong.
About 50% made Dec marks. Another 20% made bench marks by May.
Started with about 114 in program. Ended with about 100. I'd say 70/100 got into a VCOM school.

@kelminak can confirm
Ok why I said I wasn’t sure was just going off the top of my head what I thought. Thanks for clarification

I can see them moving the mcat benchmarks closer to 500 in the next few years. But, I also don't think it's fair if they transitioned it into a guaranteed interview instead of a guaranteed acceptance.....especially with how much the tuition is. But there are other programs who do this and charge more so I guess anything goes.

You mentioned that you guys started with 114 but the cap last year was 120, right? Did 6 people decide to decline their seat and admissions didn't pull from the wait list? Just curious.

I can see them moving the mcat benchmarks closer to 500 in the next few years. But, I also don't think it's fair if they transitioned it into a guaranteed interview instead of a guaranteed acceptance.....especially with how much the tuition is. But there are other programs who do this and charge more so I guess anything goes.

You mentioned that you guys started with 114 but the cap last year was 120, right? Did 6 people decide to decline their seat and admissions didn't pull from the wait list? Just curious.

VCOM doesn't give a crap about your MCAT tbh. They're big on GPA. As long as you can provide a baseline "I can take a standardized test" (they have to draw the line somewhere), they care much more that you could succeed in the classes they provide. This program is the ultimate win-win for everyone. Students who barely had a chance get a real opportunity to get into med school, which VCOM matriculates a hundred students who have effectively been bootcamped for a year to succeed in the way they teach. They could increase the MCAT or GPA benchmarks, but to what end? The program already selects the students who do well to get into their main campuses.

They could also be more selective on admissions to the program itself, but again, to what end? They already are getting a large chunk of their students through and into a medical school. It's really difficult to be more successful with the outcomes than they already are. It's not perfect, but the results are pretty damn good as is.

Also just a note, remember that some of those "guaranteed interviews" are effectively guaranteed acceptances too with a failsafe for students that they don't want matriculating for other reasons.

Reactions: 2 users

The other program I considered this year was Pitt's post bacc and I think tuition alone was like 44,000! It would be cool next year if they let you tag along with VCOM's insurance plan. Finding health insurance this year has been a struggle.

VCOM doesn't give a crap about your MCAT tbh. They're big on GPA. As long as you can provide a baseline "I can take a standardized test" (they have to draw the line somewhere), they care much more that you could succeed in the classes they provide. This program is the ultimate win-win for everyone. Students who barely had a chance get a real opportunity to get into med school, which VCOM matriculates a hundred students who have effectively been bootcamped for a year to succeed in the way they teach. They could increase the MCAT or GPA benchmarks, but to what end? The program already selects the students who do well to get into their main campuses.

They could also be more selective on admissions to the program itself, but again, to what end? They already are getting a large chunk of their students through and into a medical school. It's really difficult to be more successful with the outcomes than they already are. It's not perfect, but the results are pretty damn good as is.

Also just a note, remember that some of those "guaranteed interviews" are effectively guaranteed acceptances too with a failsafe for students that they don't want matriculating for other reasons.

Well said.

The other program I considered this year was Pitt's post bacc and I think tuition alone was like 44,000! It would be cool next year if they let you tag along with VCOM's insurance plan. Finding health insurance this year has been a struggle.

Is VCOM's insurance plan cheaper? I have marketplace insurance and I pay about $50/month (but that's based on the income I was receiving when I was working so hopefully I can get a cheaper rate in January). Do you also have dental insurance?

I looked at the enrollment for classes and looks like there are only 2 spots left in the program.
Where are you guys looking up the classes? Under My Courses on MyBC portal, it says there are no courses to display.

**Never mind, I found the classes listed under my schedule

Is VCOM's insurance plan cheaper? I have marketplace insurance and I pay about $50/month (but that's based on the income I was receiving when I was working so hopefully I can get a cheaper rate in January). Do you also have dental insurance?

I looked into that stuff today and to meet the schools max 2500 deductible my premium was like 530/month for just me. I gave them mine and my wife's income from January to July and they basically said I made too little to qualify for any tax credit, so I decided to go with Agile for 108/month and my wife is staying on her father's work plan. Its crazy that through my employer I had Medical, Dental and Vision for myself and my son for about 130/month. I would carry your current plan out as long as you can before switching. If there was some way you could pay the entire year or at least 6 months ahead to keep your current coverage I would.

Sooooooo, they've sent out the booklist to our bluefield emails. For those in the program from previous years, did you need or even use the books?? They are super expensive smh

I never received the email. Checked my junk mail and nothing...

I never received the email. Checked my junk mail and nothing...
It should have been sent to your bluefield email. If you did not get it, check the facebook page. Someone posted it on there.

Books were 100% never needed. I used one I “obtained for free” for nutrition and reading the chapters maybe gave me 1-2 extra questions right per exam. Probably wasn’t worth the time.

Did this tuition jump to 28K?
Last year, we paid 16K. I have a friend I referred to the program who's going through with it and he gave me that price tag (28K).

Did this tuition jump to 28K?
Last year, we paid 16K. I have a friend I referred to the program who's going through with it and he gave me that price tag (28K).

Dr. Hill mentioned that this year they'd qualify for federal loans, but the tuition would be a lot higher.

I didn't take out loans but still quite the jump. Either way - worth it if you get in.

The tuition did jump to 28k. The biggest differences starting this year are that it is now a Master's program (with the help of a new partnership with Bluefield College), and you can take out federal loans for the program. Is the tuition jump from 16k to 28k still painful? Absolutely, but a program with guaranteed admittance is still pretty hard to beat.