vasectomy and autoantibodies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

refreshingred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
was wonderig if anyone knew why some men with vasectomies supposedly generate antibodies to their own sperm. came across this concept as an anesthesiologist told me that men with vasectomies are more likely to have a reaction to protamine as the protamine cross-reacts with the anti-sperm Ab.

Members don't see this ad.

was wonderig if anyone knew why some men with vasectomies supposedly generate antibodies to their own sperm. came across this concept as an anesthesiologist told me that men with vasectomies are more likely to have a reaction to protamine as the protamine cross-reacts with the anti-sperm Ab.

Somebody should really market this "anti-sperm antibody." We could wipe out AIDS.

Sorry, not trolling, just drawn in by the thread title.

I haven't done any research in the area, but I'm a little skeptical about vasectomy-induced autoimmune diseases. I think if there was any truth to it, I'd be seeing a lawyer referencing it on the back of my phonebook....

Hopefully I'm wrong, as that will mean that I learned something very interesting today.....

Somebody should really market this "anti-sperm antibody." We could wipe out AIDS.

Sorry, not trolling, just drawn in by the thread title.

I haven't done any research in the area, but I'm a little skeptical about vasectomy-induced autoimmune diseases. I think if there was any truth to it, I'd be seeing a lawyer referencing it on the back of my phonebook....

Hopefully I'm wrong, as that will mean that I learned something very interesting today.....

Not sure how an anti-sperm antibody would wipe out AIDS...

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi,

I am by no means an expert, but I just wanted to wager a guess on this. I thought that men can indeed develop anti-sperm antibodies because the seminiferous tubules are isolated from the body's immune system by the blood-testes barrier. A vasectomy allows the immune system access to the sperm for the first time, thus producing the antibodies. This is why in some cases a vasectomy cannot be reversed. The anti-sperm antibodies render the testes sterile.

If you get injured and have a wound...and you accidentally ejaculated on your own wound...now, your sperm is exposed to your circulating system...will that cause anti sperm antibody to form?