Age requirement for vasectomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpants

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions?

I feel pretty uncomfortable doing a vasectomy on anyone younger than about 25, especially if they don't already have a lot of kids. Does anyone use a firm cutoff or criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

No firm and fast cutoff here
I also get heartburn about doing patients under 25 and make sure to counsel/document extensively about intent for procedure to be permanent

Reactions: 1 users
My practice changes due to the age and the marital status. I only take a written consent from the patient and his spouse if they are over 40 years of age and have children. For single men, I obtain two formally notarized written consents. One for the patient file, one for my archive.

Members don't see this ad :)
My practice changes due to the age and the marital status. I only take a written consent from the patient and his spouse if they are over 40 years of age and have children. For single men, I obtain two formally notarized written consents. One for the patient file, one for my archive.

That seems a little extreme. Did you have a legal problem in the past related to this?

That seems a little extreme. Did you have a legal problem in the past related to this?

I did. Even though I was not charged or sued, it was some kind of headache. The claim was misexplanation of the procedure.

I don't think I've had anyone under 25 ask for one. I haven't declined a vasectomy for anyone, though I thoroughly document younger men (30ish) who don't have children seeking vasectomy.