vascular surgery 0+5 vs. fellowship competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
0+5 is likely too competitive for me to feel safe applying for

Is fellowship also similar caliber in terms of competitiveness? Will it require 5+2 yr general surgery residency? Is it possible with 5 yr general surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad.

vascular seems like it is more about match than it is about numbers . The average step was near the national average .

Reactions: 3 users
vascular seems like it is more about match than it is about numbers . The average step was near the national average .

Yeah, the match rate is about 90%. Sure it doesn't tell the whole story, though. The number of spots is so low though haha. Like ~60. I'm talking I5 here, for clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it require 5+2 yr general surgery residency? Is it possible with 5 yr general surgery residency?
Absolutely not. There are DO programs that match to very strong vascular fellowships on a semi-consistent basis. I've been told it's more competitive than trauma or transplant, but it's not even close to Peds/Surg Onc levels.

This. It's very much about fit for the I5 programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Vascular surgery fellowship after general surgery is not competitive. Top academic programs maybe, but overall no.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

do I have a chance to match in Vasc surg residency program in the states???

Thanks

Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

do I have a chance to match in Vasc surg residency program in the states???

Thanks
did you re-start medical school in canada? Or did you do a residency in canada?

did you re-start medical school in canada? Or did you do a residency in canada?

I did my restart med school in Canada and graduated in 2020. Applied only for residency in Canada through the CaRMS but did not get in any vasc surg here in CANADA. it was competitive this year and there was no prog here in Saskatchewan !!