Looking to match vascular (Aus PGY2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to match into vascular, I’ve done some vascular work and really enjoyed it. I understand it’s extremely unlikely I match in the US however that’s still a better chance than here.

Other than a high step 2, vascular research and USCE/LoRs what else can I do to actually have a shot at matching into integrated?

Otherwise would I need anything special to match Gen surg (have done HepBil, OesGas and Colorectal) then do a Vasc fellowship?

PGY2 with NSGY, Vascular and Gen surg sub spec experience and I’ve got roughly 10 pubs.

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at the stats for this year, looks like 11 IMGs matched into vascular surgery if I counted right. I know that 3 of them were from my school, University of Queensland (Ochsner if you're familiar with that) which leaves 8 IMGs from other institutions. Matching to a categorical vascular program as a non-US IMG is going to be very tricky, but if you're already going to be applying for general surgery then it doesn't hurt to apply to them, just keep in mind the odds are very long. Odds are better for general surgery but it's still very tricky, definitely recommend aiming for a step 2 score of above 260.

I think you've identified what you need to do. Having good quality US clinical experience and making connections will be incredibly important especially for vascular. Make sure you don't fail step 1, which can be more difficult than one might expect especially since you're a few years out from preclinical stuff. Otherwise it's good to have a high step 2 score and good research, and building connections from there is the best way to try to find a spot.

That’s not gonna happen

The ones who matched were probably vascular surgeons in their own countries and or did two or three research fellowships