**Vanderbilt Class of 2013**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they are pretty much all the same (since the feds set the interest rate and repayment details). Someone correct me if I am wrong. I've gone with SallieMae for both my undergrad and graduate loans since they seem like the biggest lender around.
This used to not be true, but last year they were all basically the same due to economic conditions. I suspect it will be more of the same this year since it's just gotten worse. The differentiating factors will probably be more along the "who do you like more" lines (e.g., some people hate SallieMae with a passion).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Anyone interested in getting a roommate for next year! Please message me if you are. I'm currently looking for places within walking distance from school. Preferably no pets and non-smoking.

Thanks!

~Star

I missed Second Look, so I'm wondering...what did you all think of everything? :) Do the people in our class seem really nice or competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
I missed Second Look, so I'm wondering...what did you all think of everything? :) Do the people in our class seem really nice or competitive?

sooooo nice. You'd love all of us, I swear!

Haha I hope so. :) I'm still trying to decide where to go...I'm a little bit intimidated by some of the hardcore people I've run into.

I honestly feel like there were tons of people who were overly friendly and approachable (faculty and administration included). I've had no problem finding the perfect people with which I intend to spend significant time with over the next four years! :D

I honestly feel like there were tons of people who were overly friendly and approachable (faculty and administration included). I've had no problem finding the perfect people with which I intend to spend significant time with over the next four years! :D

"What is your research? What do you do? Ooh cool".

hehehehe I loved those.

Yeah, I really wish I could have gone to Second Look just to get a more intangible impression of the students, school, etc. :) I guess I will just have to take your word!

Yeah, honestly my impression is that there are enough different types of people that you'll fit in somehow regardless. Vandy seems to do a pretty good job of admitting people who can sort of work with each other, but each of whom is pretty different from the next. It definitely isn't quite as one-size-fits-all as, say, Wash U were everyone's a super high-scoring academic or CCLCM where everyone's a researcher. There are different kinds of people, and as long as you keep an open mind I think it'll be great. I liked pretty much everyone I met and found a group I REALLY got along with, so I suspect it'll be like that for you too.

Yeah, honestly my impression is that there are enough different types of people that you'll fit in somehow regardless. Vandy seems to do a pretty good job of admitting people who can sort of work with each other, but each of whom is pretty different from the next. It definitely isn't quite as one-size-fits-all as, say, Wash U were everyone's a super high-scoring academic or CCLCM where everyone's a researcher. There are different kinds of people, and as long as you keep an open mind I think it'll be great. I liked pretty much everyone I met and found a group I REALLY got along with, so I suspect it'll be like that for you too.

That's good to know! The only thing holding me back from making a for-sure decision is $$$ (still waiting to hear back from a bunch of places, actually) and the fact that I feel a little bit intimidated by going to school with a bunch of really high achievers. It would kind of suck to end up at the bottom of the class, since apparently one of the most important things for applying to competitive specialties is having a (relatively) high class rank. I have enough humility to know that at Vandy, I will likely be an average (maybe below average?) student, and that intimidates me!

That's good to know! The only thing holding me back from making a for-sure decision is $$$ (still waiting to hear back from a bunch of places, actually) and the fact that I feel a little bit intimidated by going to school with a bunch of really high achievers. It would kind of suck to end up at the bottom of the class, since apparently one of the most important things for applying to competitive specialties is having a (relatively) high class rank. I have enough humility to know that at Vandy, I will likely be an average (maybe below average?) student, and that intimidates me!

Hehe you and I can have a bottom-half-of-the-class party then!

Seriously, I have the same concerns. It's pretty pointless to think about it now though, and Vandy's reputation will help as far as getting residencies is concerned. Step 1, too, is a standardized test, so class rank won't really matter.

This is what I tell myself anyway :oops:

Hehe you and I can have a bottom-half-of-the-class party then!

Seriously, I have the same concerns. It's pretty pointless to think about it now though, and Vandy's reputation will help as far as getting residencies is concerned. Step 1, too, is a standardized test, so class rank won't really matter.

This is what I tell myself anyway :oops:

Maybe you and I are just the token humanities nerds of the class. ;) I seriously feel like WAY more of a type B than most of the other applicants I've met. Hopefully that will not translate into bottom-of-the-classdom...:scared:

Maybe you and I are just the token humanities nerds of the class. ;) I seriously feel like WAY more of a type B than most of the other applicants I've met. Hopefully that will not translate into bottom-of-the-classdom...:scared:

Hehe, maybe so! They'll be teaching us anatomy and we'll be correcting their grammar :D and reading for pleasure.

Members don't see this ad :)
This used to not be true, but last year they were all basically the same due to economic conditions. I suspect it will be more of the same this year since it's just gotten worse. The differentiating factors will probably be more along the "who do you like more" lines (e.g., some people hate SallieMae with a passion).

Actually, they are all the same except for Discover which has zero fees. So I went with them last year. (Even though they arent a "prefered lender.")

Some folks compare repayment bonuses/benefits. But they all can and do change (as my classmates discovered!) so I wouldnt pick based on that. I would go with who has a reputation for being easy to work with. They all are making a lot of money off of us as we rack up ridiculously huge loans!

(As for the SalieMae haters I know - it sounds like they have good reason to be passionate! They can never get them on the phone, they made consolidation really, really tough back when you could still do that, etc.)

looking at the match list from this year (that they handed out at 2nd look) and from last year (that they handed out at the interview), i don't think we have anything to worry about. the lists look pretty amazing from beginning to end. :thumbup:

Ok, I get that CA is far from Nashville, but seriously, it's thursday and I haven't gotten my financial aid letter yet?! It was sent last friday!

It better be in my mailbox when I get home...:mad:

withdrew 2day from vandy, hope it opens up a spot for a deserving wl'er...vandy still rocks! :)

Ok, I get that CA is far from Nashville, but seriously, it's thursday and I haven't gotten my financial aid letter yet?! It was sent last friday!

HAHA. It was definitely NOT in my mailbox. One week is the charm LET? I think we are seeing the effect of USPS letting so many people go...

I would just like to point out that as of friday, the letter is STILL not in my mailbox.

Oh, USPS.

After over a week of non-response...I feel I must resurrect this thread! Any additional students committed to Vanderbilt, now that it's getting close to May 15?

man i hope these fin aid packages are competitive.... waiting for mine soon!

huge determinant in my choice

looking at the match list from this year (that they handed out at 2nd look) and from last year (that they handed out at the interview), i don't think we have anything to worry about. the lists look pretty amazing from beginning to end. :thumbup:

I see you've decided lee! Congrats...see you at the end of July!

Hey Everyone,

I was a Vandy undergrad and I am going to VUSM next year. I am looking for someone laid back and fun that wants to find a 2BR within walking distance of Vandy.

A little bit about myself. I am pretty easy going. I like to work hard and play hard. I usually study till 1am ish. I try to be neat and organized (but I am not a neat freak) I am looking for a roommate to lease an apartment or house with for 1 year or so.

Anyway I will be in Nashville all summer so you are welcome to come by and hangout / apartment search if you want.

Please send me an email / Facebook if your interested in being roomates / looking for a place.

[email protected]
FB: Neil Manus

See everyone in August!!
-Neil

I can't say that it was an easy decision, but it looks like I'll be joining all y'all (shout out to Dean Zic!) in a few months! :D Anybody else just recently decided that wants to come out of lurking? You know you want to...

Anyway, I was told that there was an area or apartment complex that a lot of medical students live in. Can somebody remind me what the name of this area is? Or for that matter, can current students suggest a few good areas to look for housing? That would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I can't say that it was an easy decision, but it looks like I'll be joining all y'all (shout out to Dean Zic!) in a few months! :D Anybody else just recently decided that wants to come out of lurking? You know you want to...

Anyway, I was told that there was an area or apartment complex that a lot of medical students live in. Can somebody remind me what the name of this area is? Or for that matter, can current students suggest a few good areas to look for housing? That would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hillsboro Village is probably the most popular, owing to its great location. There are lots of complexes that have students, Gardens probably being one of the larger ones. Village at Vandy is probably the closest, but also expensive. I would look along Blakemore or Wedgewood, including the Music Row Area and 21st Ave. They should be within walking distance. Further out, you have West End, further out on Wedgewood, the far west end of Blakemore, closer to 440 (or even Green Hills, though the traffic will suck). Those will be very short drives. The further out, the cheaper it will probably get, but the commute also gets longer. That may be a concern if you like going back and forth more than once a day.

For an extended version of this, complete with maps and reviews, check out The Paddle.

I noticed in the "choosing a lender" thread that Discover offers 0 fees. Who is everyone choosing for their lender?

random request.. if anyone wants to live in The Grove (specifically Whitworth), please PM me -- I'll give you a part of the referral bonus if you let me be your referral :)

also, I work at Vandy and have lived here for a while, so I can also answer questions regarding Nashville. Just send me a PM.