Vanderbilt 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump for 100th reply

Members don't see this ad.

A couple random questions for current students (or applicants in "the know").

During my tour in September, the guides mentioned that the med student lounge was getting a full renovation. I can't remember when that was supposed to happen, but I was just curious how it went or when it is scheduled for? What kind of stuff was/is being added?

Also, some of the few critiques of Vandy that I have heard (and I have not heard many) was about the 1st year lecture hall being a bit out of date (lack of outlets for laptops, etc...). Does anyone know if there are plans to perk up the lecture halls anytime soon?

Looking forward to 2nd look weekend!

A couple random questions for current students (or applicants in "the know").

During my tour in September, the guides mentioned that the med student lounge was getting a full renovation. I can't remember when that was supposed to happen, but I was just curious how it went or when it is scheduled for? What kind of stuff was/is being added?

Also, some of the few critiques of Vandy that I have heard (and I have not heard many) was about the 1st year lecture hall being a bit out of date (lack of outlets for laptops, etc...). Does anyone know if there are plans to perk up the lecture halls anytime soon?

Looking forward to 2nd look weekend!

I believe the lounge will renovated this summer...I have wondered if the start date is contingent on the completion of construction in the adjacent building which holds CELA (I dont even know the building's name to be honest since it is practically a LH annex). In any case, I doubt they would renovate any time other than the summer, and I don't think it will take much time to do the renovation due to scale of the project. The lounge could use a facelift but it is adequate at this point (I don't use it regularly, but many people do).

The lecture hall needs some minor renovation too, however I haven't heard of any plans since its not really a bothersome issue. There are 2 power jacks on the floor about every 4 seats. Not enough for everybody, but not everybody uses a computer during class. Most people have computers that have battery life (my macbook can get up to 4 hours on a good day), so I don't think its a big deal. People that need an outlet tend to sit in seats with easy access to outlets so its never a big deal that causes drama about who's taking the outlet space up.

Anyway, you are going to spend most of 1st year taking SFD (our final in it is this thurs/fri) where you spend a good amount of your scheduled school time in the gross anatomy lab and the histo lab. Its nice to not be in LH 202 ALL the time.

Drop more questions if you got them, maybe another student knows more about the lounge renovation than I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say, I don't really like the lecture hall. I've never had a problem with power jacks because I don't need one for my laptop and not everyone uses them. It does seem a bit old though. It has also been cold because of all the construction, but that should all be done by the time you would be there. It's not something I would worry too much about -- it is adequate. I could have gone to Emory where everything was new, and I still chose Vandy.

I have also heard about the student lounge, but I have no idea when they will do it. I also don't really use it except to play ping pong once in awhile.

Can someone pm me the username/password for the Vanderbilt housing website? I'm slacking off at work and I'd like to look at it.
Also, how do you guys feel about living nearby/further away? Do people find it to be a hassle to live in the cheaper, further away, housing or do you feel like you just come in in the morning and go home at night, so it's not a big deal?
Thanks!

Can someone pm me the username/password for the Vanderbilt housing website? I'm slacking off at work and I'd like to look at it.
Also, how do you guys feel about living nearby/further away? Do people find it to be a hassle to live in the cheaper, further away, housing or do you feel like you just come in in the morning and go home at night, so it's not a big deal?
Thanks!
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding the website.

I don't live within walking distance, but it is a short drive. No problem at all, though it obviously sucks to use the gas. Not a whole lot cheaper either, but somewhat. The only person I've talked to that lives further out (Bellevue) hates it. I personally would not want to fight the traffic in the morning, but some people probably don't care. It may also depend on what you're going to budget yourself. There are also occasionally events at night or an hour or two after class, so it may be annoying to drive home then back.

The one thing I do hate about having to drive is parking. There's no problem finding a spot, but the garage is far enough away that you walk almost the same distance as if you were coming from Hillsboro Village. Hell, if you live at Village at Vanderbilt it's probably further away (though you'll pay through the nose to live there).

Hey--does anyone know what the deal is with the partial tuition scholarships? Does the school count that scholarship as part of the financial aid and then not give you any more grants/loans? Today I got a letter from the Dean notifying me of the scholarship, but if it essentially supplants grants I'll get otherwise, it makes no difference.

What is the average financial aid money (in grants and scholarships) that Vanderbilt gives its students? I looked for this information and could absolutely not find it on the website.

Thanks!!!!

Hey--does anyone know what the deal is with the partial tuition scholarships? Does the school count that scholarship as part of the financial aid and then not give you any more grants/loans? Today I got a letter from the Dean notifying me of the scholarship, but if it essentially supplants grants I'll get otherwise, it makes no difference.

What is the average financial aid money (in grants and scholarships) that Vanderbilt gives its students? I looked for this information and could absolutely not find it on the website.

Thanks!!!!
From what I remember, 27% of med students get some kind of non-loan aid. I have no idea if that's actually correct, it's just a number that is in my head. I am not really sure about grant money, but a scholarship will not keep you from taking out the max in loans.

Honestly I would call the finaid office -- they will be able to give you a more detailed answer.

Damn, why is this thread so dead? What's going on Vandy people? I got an insurance/immunization thing in the mail today. Yee haw!

Yea... I agree bob. Last years thread was well into the 4th page by this point.

Here's a random question. Does anyone know how AT&T's cell service is around Nashville & Vandy?

Damn, why is this thread so dead? What's going on Vandy people? I got an insurance/immunization thing in the mail today. Yee haw!

Yea... I agree bob. Last years thread was well into the 4th page by this point.

Here's a random question. Does anyone know how AT&T's cell service is around Nashville & Vandy?
As far as I know, Verizon tends to have the best service around here (my carrier). A friend of mine has an iPhone, though, and I haven't heard any complaints. You won't get service in the lecture hall no matter what carrier you have, so I wouldn't worry about that. Do not get T-mobile, they suck here. Sprint has a deal with Vanderbilt, so I'd assume they are reasonable around campus -- not sure about off. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA, so I suspect they share towers.

Did anyone else get this? I haven't received these forms yet.

I got them last week. I don't think there's a rush to complete them; it's just stuff that has to be done before classes start.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get the immunizations stuff done sooner rather than later. I had to track down my old records because none of my doctors had them. If you have moved or changed physicians it may take more than a few days, so don't put it off the whole summer.

Just wanted to say hi-- I'm strongly considering Vandy (depends on what I hear from non-rolling schools) and will be at second look. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

I'll be at Second Look too. Who else is going? Does anyone know what kind of stuff they've got planned for us?

I'll definitely be at Second Look as well, and am very strongly considering Vanderbilt. I don't know anything extra about what is planned besides what was in the email. It's surprising they haven't given us at least a basic schedule yet. Hope to see y'all there.

I'll be there for sure. I agree that it is a little odd that we haven't gotten any concrete information about 2nd look yet, but I wouldn't worry about it. Based on last years posts, I don't think that they received much information ahead of time either.

Seems like most of the activities are split between showing us a lot more of the school/hospital and entertaining us.

Someone posted this a while back, but I thought i would remind everyone that Match Day is tomorrow (Thursday the 20th) at 12pm est, and if you're interested you can watch it live streaming from Vandy's homepage.

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/

finally RSVP'ed last week, so count me in. even though i totally foresee this happening, i hope they don't use that "interesting fact/skill" thing we had to fill out as an icebreaker/way to introduce us...hahah.

anyone else planning on looking around at apartments/condos while we're there? i've been trying to look some up, but i think the ones in hillsboro village (supposedly where a good number of students live now) are kind of older ones and don't really have websites so i guess we'll have to see them in person... but apparently there are a lot of new, really nice high rises going up pretty close to campus.

I am also hoping they don't announce the "interesting fact" to everyone...how embarassing. When they do it on Jeopardy, I always feel bad for the poor nerds who think they're cool - meanwhile, the audience is snickering.

I would also like to take a look at some apartments. Do you think we'll have time on Saturday? For any current students, did you physically come to Nashville to look for apartments or did you just find something online?

Hey guys. Last year they sent the schedule on 4/9, with second look being 4/20-22, so it may be pretty close to the actual event. Last year everything started Friday at 6pm, all of Saturday, and optional breakfast Sunday morning. I know a lot of people looked at housing Friday or Sunday. You probably won't have much time on Saturday, though they may do things differently.

There are new high rises around campus, but they are expensive FYI.

I can't remember what they used the factoid stuff for. I don't think there were any huge icebreakers because there were so many people.

For anyone interested, the dean quoted the median USMLE at 237 today (222 nationally). I know people often ask, and it's hard to find.

Do we have a facebook group?

I'm pretty sure no-one on SDN has made one yet. Feel free to do so. I've actually never started one before. And I'm at work, where facebook is blocked by the network filters.

I'm pretty sure no-one on SDN has made one yet. Feel free to do so. I've actually never started one before. And I'm at work, where facebook is blocked by the network filters.

Well I don't want to be the owner, because as much as I love Vandy, there's a chance I won't end up there... I'm still waiting on 2 other schools.

Someone def at Vanderbilt next year want to own the 2012 facebook group?

A couple questions for current students:

I was looking at the estimated student budgets and noticed that everything is budgeted for 9 months in the first two years. Does this mean that you only get enough loans to cover living expenses for 9 months out of the year? I don't mind getting a job during the summer, but I thought that's when we were supposed to work on our emphasis project. What do people do during the summer, and how do you spread out your loans?

I was also curious about health insurance. Do you have year-round coverage and is the figure in the estimated budget enough to cover 12 months? Also, if I come to Nashville in June, could I get health insurance then, or do I have to wait until classes start?

Thank you!

I was looking at the estimated student budgets and noticed that everything is budgeted for 9 months in the first two years. Does this mean that you only get enough loans to cover living expenses for 9 months out of the year? I don't mind getting a job during the summer, but I thought that's when we were supposed to work on our emphasis project. What do people do during the summer, and how do you spread out your loans?

I was also curious about health insurance. Do you have year-round coverage and is the figure in the estimated budget enough to cover 12 months? Also, if I come to Nashville in June, could I get health insurance then, or do I have to wait until classes start?

Thank you!

You might want to email financial aid about this one, since even the students who do their emphasis stuff abroad still have to pay on their apartment leases. I'm pretty sure you could get more of the lower rate PLUS loans if you have extenuating circumstances, but the 850/month rate for board seems rather generous (I pay under 600/month when utilities and etc are added in). IMO if you are paying 850/month you are living in a place that is too nice, especially when you are living on loans.

The student health fee is constant over all 4 years and therefore covers you completely for 12 months for each year. I believe coverage starts in July but I might be wrong (I have to get on it this summer as well, since I am getting too old to be on the good ole folks' insurance).

Well I don't want to be the owner, because as much as I love Vandy, there's a chance I won't end up there... I'm still waiting on 2 other schools.

Someone def at Vanderbilt next year want to own the 2012 facebook group?

I'm in the same situation, but surely there's someone who can step up and make the group!

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you guys in a few weeks!

Thank you!
My understanding is you get money for how many months you are in school, so first year would be 9 months. Third year I think you get year round. Don't forget that you may get paid during your first summer for Emphasis, however, so that could help make up it up (I believe it's $3000+).

Honestly, I am considering reducing the amount of loans I'm getting, because I did not use all of it first semester and I got more for some reason this semester. I may just not spend much though, YMMV. Call financial aid.

to answer these questions: first year, you get budget for 9 months. Then you get Emphasis cash for the other three months = 12 months financed.

Second year, you get budget for 9 months, but then you start 3rd year in June, so you're pretty much made up to 12 months anyway. 4th year is also cut short because you graduate in Early May and you do not get money after you graduate and before you start residency. This can kind of suck, but that's how it is everywhere, so don't let it change how you choose your school. As was mentioned before, most people have plenty of money. I live on a much tighter budget than most (couple of kids) and I still make it fine.

Health insurance does not start until school starts.

on another note, i don't know how i feel about this new formatting... i guess it'll take some getting used to.

The new formatting sucks since each school takes a whole lot space making a list view almost impossible to see.

Interesting thing to keep in mind when looking at the list, Vandy has one of the smallest enrollments out of the list. I think its great that I don't have a bunch of other classmates competing for resources at schools that are inherently going to be finite no matter the size of the class. I could only imagine how many more annoying questions would be asked in lectures if there were 50-100 more students in our class...

This is probably a silly question, but are you guys going business casual for second look?

This is probably a silly question, but are you guys going business casual for second look?
Pretty much. There was a dress code in the email they sent about second look. I think it was business casual, but I need to double check.

Yea. I'm just bringing a couple button down shirts and khakis. Maybe a sports-coat, but definitely not a suit, and probably not even a tie. Not sure what else I'll pack, but I guess some more casual stuff for the nights if people go out.

Has anyone gotten more info on 2nd look yet? What hotel do they put us up in?

Also... Has anyone here NOT gotten the immunization/insurance forms in the mail? I still haven't received anything.

Yea. I'm just bringing a couple button down shirts and khakis. Maybe a sports-coat, but definitely not a suit, and probably not even a tie. Not sure what else I'll pack, but I guess some more casual stuff for the nights if people go out.

Has anyone gotten more info on 2nd look yet? What hotel do they put us up in?

Also... Has anyone here NOT gotten the immunization/insurance forms in the mail? I still haven't received anything.
We're staying at the Loews across the street from campus. I'm arriving a day early and will probably look for housing and stuff. If anyone is interested in browsing apartments that Friday or over the weekend PM me. Also, if yall want to kick it Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, then PM me as well and I will shoot you my phone number so we can meet up. See yall in a little less than 2 weeks.

dunno about yall, but im getting amped about second look (and 200g debt)!!!!! im with flaahless here about goin out on the town after the program on friday/sat night, so hit us up if anyone else is down to clown...

also, i may just be feeling a little hotel party...

in the words of R. kelly "then after the show its the after party, and after the party its the hotel lobby, and round about 4 you gotta clear the lobby"

Anyone have the schedule from last year's second look?

I'm definitely up for going out in Nashville on Friday night (leaving Saturday night to make it home for homecoming at my school).

Ladies, what are you bringing? Dress pants and skirts? Button ups?
Are people bringing something nicer to wear for dinner?

I wouldn't consider it an official dressing guide, but if you take a look at the pictures from last year's 2nd look weekend (on VMS's website), it will probably give a good idea what to bring...

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/admissions/second_look.php

Anyone have the schedule from last year's second look?

I'm definitely up for going out in Nashville on Friday night (leaving Saturday night to make it home for homecoming at my school).

Ladies, what are you bringing? Dress pants and skirts? Button ups?
Are people bringing something nicer to wear for dinner?

here's a random non-second look question for the current first-years:

i've heard something about there being a lecture podcast. is there just audio available or are the lectures also video-taped and archived somewhere?

i guess a related question would be how well are the lectures attended? i know attendance isn't mandatory for the big lecture classes, but if you were to say, sleep in one morning, could you pretty easily catch up with the notes/resources available online?
There are lecture podcasts that are videotaped. The format is pretty sweet actually because you also have the slides from the screen. So you can jump to whatever slides you want and the lecture will start from there. You can also speed up or slow down the audio (useful for passing useless questions from students imo). I really haven't used it much, but I could imagine that you really don't need to go to class if that wasn't your thing. On a technical note, I would recommend a PC or Mac w/ VMWare or Parallels for this to work well. Flip4Mac may work, but I had trouble with it. QM has a Mac as well, so he may be able to give a workaround.

Personally, I go to pretty much every lecture to get a good overview, then review throughly at home later. I would guess attendance is generally around 70%. All of the notes/slides are available online, but the quality will vary by professor. Most of them are adequate, though I thought physio was a bit lacking. We are in Micro/Immuno now, and the notes are absolutely fabulous -- I have definitely skipped a few so far...

And don't worry guys, we will be showing you a good time in Nashville after the "official" activities are over ;)