Value of MBA Over Business Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hayden19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting a DO program in the fall after I finish my undergrad degree in International Business. My school offers a dual DO/MBA program and I am considering the pros/cons. My question is, if at some point in my career as a clinician I feel the need to scale back my clinical practice and transition into a leadership/administration role, would an MBA be worth the extra time/money to have in addition to my business agree?

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting a DO program in the fall after I finish my undergrad degree in International Business. My school offers a dual DO/MBA program and I am considering the pros/cons. My question is, if at some point in my career as a clinician I feel the need to scale back my clinical practice and transition into a leadership/administration role, would an MBA be worth the extra time/money to have in addition to my business agree?

If you're interested in climbing the admin ladder at a hospital or large medical group, it's probably not a bad idea. If you are only interested in running your own practice, your undergrad business degree is probably close to providing the same benefit. Of course the cost is also a factor, and different schools run their dual degree MBA programs differently time-wise. I personally wouldn't want to take more than a year to do the additional MBA.