Valedictorian, good ECs for med school ?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying not being a neurotic premed, but what does a valedictorian who gives a speech in high school do with the ECs for med school ?

Also, how does a valedictorian for graduation speech look on a resume ?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying not being a neurotic premed, but what does a valedictorian who gives a speech in high school do with the ECs for med school ?

I'm pretty sure nothing related to high school matters at all for medical school, at least that's what I gather from reading other threads and things.

I'm pretty sure nothing related to high school matters at all for medical school, at least that's what I gather from reading other threads and things.

How about resume ? When you try do something in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing in high school matters for medical school admission unless you continue it into college.

Giving the valedictorian speech isn't going to be as influential as the fact you are ranked the highest in your class, particularly if it is a large class size.

Also, you're not an attending physician so you should probably take that off, as it could be misleading.

high school doesn't matter at all in the medical school game.

I dont quite understand this question.....but either way, to be frank, no one cares about valedcatorian in high school, or anything in high school for that matter. Not even really worth mentioning.

I think a good rule of thumb is that every stage of the game only cares about the stage before that (for the most part). In other words, what you do in high school will most likely matter a lot during college (especially the first 2 years). However, you will have to do new things/continue old things in college for them to matter beyond that. (eg, when you are applying to intern at a company the summer after your junior year, no one will care about awards or activities done in high school, they'll want to know what you have been up to LATELY!). same goes with med school (they care about what you did/achieved in college; residency will care about what you did in med school etc).

EDIT: the only warning is for anything BAD that you do... that might actually come back years later to haunt you. So, yes, a DUI during high school might come up when your trying to get into med school and even beyond.

What?

Just because one is Valedictorian doesnt mean they do many activities.

Realistically, yes they are extremely involved, but to tell you the truth i did way more than what my val did, and the sal did way more than the val.

Being Val just matters on the average you get in highschool.

I dont think you can put speaking at graduation on the resume, as many students besides the val speak at graduation (e.g class president, or atleast the one from my school did).

What goes on a resume depends on what you are trying to do, get a job or research position etc..., Showing that you are Val in my opinion only helps you get into college and/or scholarships.

I don't think that med schools will care if you were valedictorian in high school unless you somehow are also valedictorian at your college. You having an extremely high class rank will help you tremendously in getting into a good college, so indirectly you being valedictorian will affect med schools by letting them see that you went to a prestigious undergraduate institution.

By the way tennis, do you know where you are going to college yet? In the next month or two somebody should make an accepted class of 2013 undergrad thread or something like that :)

I was the valedictorian of my HS class. The only time the topic has ever come up since graduation is at class reunions. In other words, no, you wouldn't put it on your CV. Logically, if you have a college degree/are a current college student, you must have earned a high school degree (or at least a GED). So there is no need to mention anything about HS on your CV. You wouldn't even need to put that you were HS class valedictorian on your college app. The colleges will already know that you were ranked 1/XXX by looking at your HS transcript. On the other hand, being valedictorian can help you indirectly if you get a scholarship to college. I had two, and those I did put on my CV.

I don't think med schools want to know anything about high school except maybe that you graduated and what your GPA was. But seriously--you have to wipe the slate clean and really excel in college--that is what med schools care about.

I was val in high school and in pretty much every club, whatever, but I would have never dreamed of listing that on my med school applications--that would have been weird.

Nothing from high school matters whatsoever. Unless you're continuing an EC you've been doing in high school, no one (hate to be blunt here) really cares that you were the valedictorian. It's great that you committed to school and got good grades, but so did everyone else who's going to be applying.

I can't help but think you're trying to brag, though.

I was some immigrant kid who had trouble with English in highschool. The class valedictorian used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to go into a good college

Now I am going to a highly regarded med school while the class valedictorian got a part time internship paying 40 bucks a day out of college.

Enjoy life, don't burn out.

nothing from high school matters unless you started some type of project and continued playing an integral role in its growth and development through college.

If not...YOU ARE STARTING WITH A CLEAN SLATE!!!

Have fun young one :laugh:

I was some immigrant kid who had trouble with English in highschool. The class valedictorian used to laugh at me when I said I wanted to go into a good college

Now I am going to a highly regarded med school while the class valedictorian got a part time internship paying 40 bucks a day out of college.

Enjoy life, don't burn out.

I have troubles with English too but I won't give up !