VA Pay schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lankers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am considering applying for a GPR at a VA and then working there after. I am confused on their pay schedule.

Online I can find two documents listing the pay schedule. One is the allowable range for dentist pay https://www.va.gov/OHRM/Pay/2023/PhysicianDentist/AnnualPayRanges_20230101.pdf

Another is the locality pay? I am not sure if this is the exact terminology.

Can anyone explain the full salary / which grade you would start out in as a fresh dentist out of a GPR?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I am considering applying for a GPR at a VA and then working there after. I am confused on their pay schedule.

Online I can find two documents listing the pay schedule. One is the allowable range for dentist pay https://www.va.gov/OHRM/Pay/2023/PhysicianDentist/AnnualPayRanges_20230101.pdf

Another is the locality pay? I am not sure if this is the exact terminology.

Can anyone explain the full salary / which grade you would start out in as a fresh dentist out of a GPR?

Thank you
So as a VA resident you’ll prob make around 70k. If you get a job with the VA after residency you’ll get a combo of base pay and market pay which will equal your total compensation. Your base pay usually starts you at gs-15 step 1 which will be around 115kish and then you’ll get market pay which is meant to bump your pay up so that it’s somewhat competitive w the private sector. For example, I interviewed at a few VA’s after residency and was always offered base pay of gs-15 step 1 (~115k) and then market pay varied place to place. One place I interviewed at gave me market pay adjustment that bumped me up to 190k and another to about 225k. The places that have tougher time recruiting dentists will prob offer more market pay or offer incentives like the EDRP which is reimbursement for student loans.

Is there a link to find market pay?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a link to find market pay?

Thanks
No, your market pay is decided by a comittee and varies from VA to VA. It also takes into consideration your experience level so you might get less market pay straight out of residency but it's negotiable. I negotiated a bump at one place by 20k whereas another wasn't willing to go any higher since they started at a higher offer. You'll go up a step in the gs scale every 2 years plus cost of living adjustments plus whatever congress decides to increase our pay by every few years. I think we're getting like a 5%ish raise across the board this year. You'll also have criteria for bonuses where you can get an extra 15k or so a year depending on certain criteria your chief decides that aren't hard to achieve.

Sorry to bring up an older thread— but do VA’s only hire GP’s who have completed VA AEGD/GPR’s, or do they consider applicants with other reputable AEGD/GPR experience?
They typically like to hire individuals that have completed training at a VA or have worked at previous VAs. Not to say you can't get into a VA without that, but VAs are typically pretty incestual.