UW medical school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZARA E

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 3.66 overall GPA and a 3.69 science GPA with a BS in biology and im planing on a 32 on the MCAT. i would like to get into university of Washington medical school but they don't have the early admission program and i am from GA so i will be considered out of region.
i have got about 150 hr of volunteering at a clinic in a third world country and over 50 hrs in dr shadowing
what are my chances of getting in ?

Members don't see this ad.

i have a 3.66 overall GPA and a 3.69 science GPA with a BS in biology and im planing on a 32 on the MCAT. i would like to get into university of Washington medical school but they don't have the early admission program and i am from GA so i will be considered out of region.
i have got about 150 hr of volunteering at a clinic in a third world country and over 50 hrs in dr shadowing

Wait til your MCAT scores come out.

UWashington matriculated only 6% Out of Staters last year. Most of those spots go to MD/PhD students. If you want a better chance, become a state resident first.

For general application purposes, I'd suggest you get some US clinical experience (and US physician shadowing if not done). Research, nonmedical community service, leadership, and teaching are other activities that strengthen an application.

Members don't see this ad :)

UW generally only extends secondaries/interviews to OOS applicants who have a demonstrated interest in serving rural/underserved populations. If you have any experiences working with either of those populations, it would increase your chances. If not, you should attempt to get some significant experiences in rural/underserved care, or consider establishing residency in a WWAMI state as Catalystik recommended. In terms of underserved, I think they are referring to populations in the US, so I don't think your clinic experience would meet that requirement although people in third world countries are obviously underserved.

thank you all for the reply
the Dr shadowing is in the USA. and i also have a year of cancer research and a couple of years of working at a pharmacy.
as for rural/underserved areas: would volunteering at a hospital in a county that is considered rural by the state count ??

https://www.aamc.org/download/161128/data/table1-facts2010school-web-pdf.pdf

based on the aamc stat. the % acceptance for out of state in 2010 for UW was 43.5 % which i thought is pretty good ??

That is IS vs. OOS for the matriculating class. You need a table that shows the acceptance rate for OOS applicants... which you'll find to be close to the 6% that Catalystik quotes.

Sorry - let me clarify. Compare the OOS applicants (3200+) to OOS matriculants (94) (= ~2.9% OOS matriculation rate).

If you're really serious about U of Washington, I think your best chance is to get in as an in-state student (meaning that you have to become a resident first).

Second best chance is as an out of state student through MD/PhD, which is going to be quite competitive.

Getting in as out of state student entering the normal MD program is going to be exceedingly difficult.

Your MCAT score will make a big difference in what options are open to you. I know that you're "planning" to get a 32, but not all plans work out...

Reactions: 1 user