Chances for UW SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skittles11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.I would love an opinion from members here! I am originally a California native and spent 2.5 years at a cc there, but then transferred to UW as a junior and will have my Biochemistry degree end of summer. I will be staying at UW to finished a second degree in Molecular/Cellular/Developmental Biology. I WILL be a Washington State resident by the time I apply in June and would like to go to UW School of Medicine. I know that they like to take 95% from the WWAMI states.
.cGPA ~3.72 (combination of cc and UW).
.sGPA ~3.65 (combination of cc and UW).
.I come from an economically disadvantaged background.
.No MCAT scores yet. I am taking the MCAT at the end of May.
.100+ hours of shadowing by the time I apply (GYN, GYN/ONC, Dermatology, High-risk OB, Internal Medicine). Have been in the OR for quite a few surgeries..

.List of Extra Curricular’s.
.PetSmart Adoption Charities – volunteer for 2 years – foster mom and adoption coordinator.
.Local Animal Rescue – volunteer for 6+ years (about 5,000 hours) – founding member, foster mom for special-needs dogs and cats, vet assistant, adoption coordinator .
.Volunteer tutor at a developmental math lab for 1.5 years.
.Research – 1+ year, 1 publication.
.Undergraduate Research Symposium Author.
.Co-author of Harvard McNair Undergraduate Research Presentation.
.VA Medical Center – 1 year (or about 150 hours) – help care for the hospice and short-term recovery patients.
.Elementary School Science Fair Mentor to 4th and 5th graders – one quarter.
.Sub-investigator on UW SOM retrospective clinical study on cancer .
.Co-author on presentation at a conference about the retrospective clinical study.
.Paper is currently in progress for this clinical study – should be published in medical journal next year.

.LOR’s:.
.My research PI.
.A former Gen Chem professor.
.Physician that I shadowed – we know each other very well and he is a wonderful mentor of mine.
.Principle Investigator (also a UW SOM Resident) of the clinical study.
.Wonderful letter from president of the animal rescue where I volunteered for over 6 years.

.Thank you for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are pretty good but no better than many of the other applicants. Also, UW does a weighted GPA (they count your sophomore and junior year grades more) so you should go to their website and re-calculate your grades that way. Your ECs are quite good, and your shadowing experience is excellent although it would have been nice if you were able to shadow a family medicine doctor.

You will need to get as high of an MCAT score as possible, and if you can do so, then you should have as good a chance as any! Good luck :)