UW-Madison School of Pharmacy Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlithyTove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From a recent email sent by Jeremy Altschafl, Director of PharmD Admissions:

The interview process is traditional – UW does not offer a rolling admissions process*. All applicants will be reviewed after the deadline. Applicants will not be invited to interview until early to mid-December.

Admission interviews will be held on campus on January 10-11, 2013. If you are selected for an interview, you will be assigned to attend a required interview session on either day.

*Currently, UW-Madison has a standard application process (no rolling admissions). UW is piloting a process, beginning with Fall 2013 admission, which will allow for a small group of applicants to be accepted in late January. The small number of students accepted in January will have a well above-average GPA, PCAT score, and interest/experience in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I got that email too. Are you a Wisconsin resident? I am applying out of state but I'd immediately enroll if accepted to UW, no question.

Wisconsin Resident

From PharmCAS School Pages:

Program Statistics and Criteria
Estimated number interviewed for fall 2012 entering class: 275
Estimated number accepted for fall 2012 entering class: 136
Estimated fall 2012 entering class size including early assurance and transfer seats: 140
Estimated number of out-of-state applicants accepted: 28
Estimated percent of males in 2012 entering class: 45%
Estimated percent of females in 2012 entering class: 55%
Estimated average GPA of accepted students: 3.6
Number of IN-STATE seats available for fall 2013 entering class: 140 (28 seats max for out-of-state)
Number of OUT-OF-STATE seats available for fall 2013 entering class: Class makeup 20% max of out-of-state students
Minimum overall GPA considered: 3.00 (or 3.2 over last 60 credits)
Minimum prerequisite GPA considered: 3.0
Minimum composite PCAT score considered: No Minimum (Fall 2012 PCAT Applicant Avg - 78 Composite)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The deadline is still November 1, not (Superstorm Sandy-related) November 15.

Pharmacy Information Session, Friday, November 30th in Rennebohm Hall
Limited to 60 UW Madison Students, Must RSVP

Program schedule:

4:00 – 4:10 pm Welcome, Jeremy Altschafl, Directory of Admissions
4:10 – 4:30 pm How Not to Lose Sleep over Pharmacy School Applications and Interviews
4:30 – 4:50 pm Sleeping in Class – Mini-Lecture
4:50 – 5:00 pm Break
5:00 – 6:00 pm Shaking Off the Drowsiness – Breakout Sessions (20 minutes each)

Pharmacotherapy Lab Demonstration – Develop Your Patient Counseling Skills
Compounding Lab – Compounding Chlordiazepoxide Capsules
Tours of Rennebohm Hall

6:00 – 7:00 pm Roundtable discussion with current students and FREE PIZZA!

https://docs.google.com/a/wisc.edu/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGN6RFJvY3otclZuSjdveWx6UmUydUE6MQ

There are 373 applicants for Fall 2013 (Fall 2012 = 370 applicants).

Do you by chance know what approx. acceptance rate is after you are granted an interview??? I know you said there is about 136-140 seats, but I'm sure some people decline the offer of admission.

Thanks!

I only know what is evident in the published statistics. These statistics do not include how many people turn down offers of admission.

It 'looks like' about 50% of people who are offered an interview gain admission (class size 136 / interviews 275), but since some people decline the offer, more than 50% of those interviewed are actually offered admission.

Best of Luck!

Those interview invites should be coming any day now!

Last edited:
The invites were sent out today.

Last edited:
is there anyone out there that has some advice for me concerning what to do and what not to do during the interviews at UW ?
please help.....

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to bring an umbrella this week:

THURSDAY JAN 10TH:
Mostly cloudy and mild with areas of fog; becoming breezy with rain showers developing in the afternoon
Low: 23
High: 41

FRIDAY JAN 11TH:
Variable cloudiness and mild; small chance for sprinkles or light rain, mainly in the morning.
Low: 32
High: 42

The early admit emails begin!
I thought 9:30 on a Monday night was a strange time for an acceptance email, but I'm happy with the outcome nonetheless! Do you know if/when we can expect a physical acceptance packet?

I'm not sure about when we'll receive that. Congrats!

Anybody know a good way to find other pharmacy students to be roommates?

UW-Madison pharmacy students can live in the UW residence halls (housing.wisc.edu). For example, DeJope Hall is .75 miles from the School of Pharmacy.

Also, if you go to pharmacy.wisc.edu and click on the 'intranet' link in the upper right, then log in after clicking the PharmD/Pharm Tox link, you will come to the Student Intranet Applications. The fourth link down is 'Student Housing Connections'. You can post your information in the Request for Roommate/Housing section.

I also heard that many pharmacy students live in the newer apartment complexes on Old University Avenue that are run by GoldLeaf Development. www.goldleafdevelopment.com

I would suggest looking at apartments near the School of Pharmacy. Once the admission offers are sent out there will be a Facebook page where you can connect with almost everyone that will be in your class (I found my roommates using the FB page).

Up to 40 early admission offers are already out, but it appears as though the FB page won't be activated until March.

Last edited:
Anyone in the March round hear back yet?
I'm still waiting!
The review period is last week carrying on to this week-

I found out the good news in January and my other friends who applied are still waiting to hear.

Looking forward for the Class of 2017 Facebook page to be activated so we can get to know each other.

Best of Luck to you!

Congrats!!!, and thank you!
I didn't see anyone posting from the March round yet.
They probably haven't send out the offers for March yet...
Fingers crossed~~~

next week as in the week of march 18? just wanted to double check so i'm not refreshing my email every 5 minutes.. so nerve racking!! haha

He sent out email just now!!!!!!!

Good Evening!

I know you are all getting nervous because mid-March (when I indicated admission decisions would go out) is approaching soon. We finished our verbal review meetings on Friday and we will need a couple of days to complete our final decisions for each applicant. My hope is everything is done by Friday. If the technology behind the scenes works OK, my hope is that I'll send an email out on Friday. The email will instruct you to log into your supplemental application and an online "letter" will pop up.

So just hang on for a few more days and I'm hoping Friday morning is the day you get the official decision.

You have all been a patient bunch, and I appreciated the opportunity to review your applications, work with you over the past...many month...and Friday will be the day (unless something bad happens on the tech side of things.

Good luck to everyone and have a nice rest of the week,
Jeremy

Just saw the email :) Jeremy read our minds haha

Good Luck Everyone!!

ACCEPTED!! hopefully there's good news for others! see you in the fall :)

Waitlisted :( Anyone know what the deadline is to accept the admission offer? Hoping at least a few reject it..

does anyone happen to know how many people usually get accepted off the waitlist and how long it takes to hear?

i've heard that the first group gets accepted off of the waitlist somewhere in mid-April......jeremy has also said in the past few years it has been anywhere from 2-57 people off of the waitlist (I was waitlisted last year and he gave us this stat) and I think last year it was somewhere between 10-15, not quite sure!

i've heard that the first group gets accepted off of the waitlist somewhere in mid-April......jeremy has also said in the past few years it has been anywhere from 2-57 people off of the waitlist (I was waitlisted last year and he gave us this stat) and I think last year it was somewhere between 10-15, not quite sure!

Would you mind saying what number you were on the waitlist? (I'm assuming you didn't get in if you were accepted for this year's cycle?)

last year I was unranked and knew an applicant who was in the 30's and neither of us got accepted then. best of luck to you this year !

for those of you who were accepted, does anyone know the facebook group? i would really like to join it and make some connections.

I got accepted today from the wait-list!! The school accepted 12 ppl from the wait list. The deposit is due next Friday (4/12) and I guess some more ppl from the wait list will be accepted after that.

I got accepted today from the wait-list!! The school accepted 12 ppl from the wait list. The deposit is due next Friday (4/12) and I guess some more ppl from the wait list will be accepted after that.

Thanks for posting! This gives me hope!

Is anyone interested in living with two second year students (female) next year? PM me.

has anyone heard any updates on the waitlist? thanks

has anyone heard any updates on the waitlist? thanks
Based off the student directory, the list of the new admit names has been at 127 for a couple of weeks now, so not sure when more people will be accepted off the waitlist

how do you see the student directory with the new admits?
Once you are admitted you have access to the directory. It is under the intranet link but you only have access to that once you have a NetID.