UVM vs GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHokage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

So, I've been having a pretty hard time deciding what school I'm going to attend for the next 4 years. I have luckily been accepted at GWU and U of Vermont, as well as I'm waitlisted at Boston U. Since I have heard that there's not much waitlist movement at Boston U, I don't want to get my hopes up.

Anyways, I would appreciate any input regarding choosing between GWU and UVM.

- I know both share similar rankings in research while UVM is pretty up there in the primary care rankings.

- Regarding costs, as a private institution GWU is pretty expensive. And being from CA, attending UVM as OOS would cost about the same. However, I was awarded with an scholarship that pays almost half the tuition.

- In terms of living costs, rent, food, etc...UVM is cheaper.

- Both schools match pretty similar as well.

- I liked Burlington but LOVEEDD DC. I definetily love the energy in DC.

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, Congrats on your acceptances.
I interviewed at both of those places so I'll give you my two cents. I think it depends on what you want to do after med school. If you're looking to do healthcare policy or international medicine, GWU would DEFINITELY be the place to go. If you're into rural med, Vermont is your best bet. As far as education, personally I liked Vermont's COMET system and the fact that you get the first 2 years done in 1.5 years. I was much less impressed with the physical curriculum at GWU, especially since there has been some turn around in personnel over the last couple of years.
That's all the advice I can think of now. Go where your heart is; if you didn't feel the vibe of Vermont, that might not be best. Good luck choosing! Both are great schools.

i have to say u shud pick GWU cause that would potentially allow me to move off UVM's waitlist. haha but go where you want to. it seems you like GWU a bit more than uvm.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference in COA is like 30-35k if you have a half tuition scholarship. The two schools are very comparable in quality. You do the math.

If you like the city DC can not be beat. You're going to spend the next four years wherever you choose so you should pick the location that you'll be the happiest. ($ does not equal happy)

You're going to be in medical school the next four years... how often do you think you'll ever be able to take advantage of everything in DC? Enough to justify the huge difference in tuition?

why does everyone like to say just cuz ur in med school you will have no life? thats very untrue. if you plan your time wisely you will have time to hit the clubs and bars every now and then.. unless you're married, so you have to dedicate your personal time to family as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.