UVA vs. WashU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UVA or WashU?

• UVA

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • WashU

Votes: 25 58.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

UF2099

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just got off the waitlist at WashU and now I have to decide between there and UVA. I haven't gotten my financial aid package yet from WashU, but COA at UVA is $69,432-$27,000 scholarship = $42,432/year. COA at WashU is $65,625 - whatever scholarships I get.

I really love Charlottesville and coming from a UF for undergrad, I know I will enjoy the school spirit of a college town. As far as curriculum, UVA has a 1.5/2.5 curriculum where you start your clinical rotations halfway through your 2nd year.

I don't know much about WashU except that the facilities are AMAZING and the curriculum seemed pretty traditional.

Any thoughts or personal experiences at either school?

Members don't see this ad.

Rankings wise Wash U over UVA, but other than that, you'll get plenty of research/shadowing opportunities are both schools. Plus UVA's curriculum is pretty neat. Living in Olin Hall is the reason I want to go to Wash U, everything is so close, and you never even have to go outdoors from your bed, to class, to anatomy lab, to library, to hospital. Plus the metro is right there.

Convenience for me would lead me to choose Wash U if the cost is similar, but you got a 27K scholarship from UVA. That can't be ignored IMO. I'd be at UVA right now if I got any aid even close to what my state school was offering. Even 27K at UVA vs Wash U at the moment, I'd go UVA. Wait till you get your financial information from Wash U, but as it stands with the money, UVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Living in Olin Hall is the reason I want to go to Wash U, everything is so close, and you never even have to go outdoors from your bed, to class, to anatomy lab, to library, to hospital. Plus the metro is right there.

this sounds depressing. go outside!

Rankings wise Wash U over UVA, but other than that, you'll get plenty of research/shadowing opportunities are both schools. Plus UVA's curriculum is pretty neat. Living in Olin Hall is the reason I want to go to Wash U, everything is so close, and you never even have to go outdoors from your bed, to class, to anatomy lab, to library, to hospital. Plus the metro is right there.

Convenience for me would lead me to choose Wash U if the cost is similar, but you got a 27K scholarship from UVA. That can't be ignored IMO. I'd be at UVA right now if I got any aid even close to what my state school was offering. Even 27K at UVA vs Wash U at the moment, I'd go UVA. Wait till you get your financial information from Wash U, but as it stands with the money, UVA.

haha love this! the tunnel/walkways of Wash U connect everything!!!

this sounds depressing. go outside!

it is depressing. but it is simultaneously awesome! imagine not having to go outside in the freezing cold or snow to get to class! though i'd still want to go outside daily or i'd start trippin'....lol

haha love this! the tunnel/walkways of Wash U connect everything!!!

it is depressing. but it is simultaneously awesome! imagine not having to go outside in the freezing cold or snow to get to class! though i'd still want to go outside daily or i'd start trippin'....lol

i dont think it gets that cold in st. louis. not sure though. depends on your perspective i guess

i dont think it gets that cold in st. louis. not sure though. depends on your perspective i guess

i'm from arizona....EVERYTHING is cold! haha. the winter lows don't fall below 40 (that's essentially the coldest i've seen here). it snowed once, but that was some freak weather in a city traditionally 8 degrees colder than where i currently reside.

I just got my fin aid from WashU today and the good news is I got $40,000/year in scholarship. Yay!:D Bad news is it is all need based and my parents' income went up significantly this year so that scholarship will be reduced to about $25,000 next year. However, UVA has a higher COA for year 2, 3, and 4. All done and said, WashU would save me $30,000 over the four years...not a HUGE amount of money, but still. I think I'm more into UVA with their new 1.5/2.5 curriculum but that's probably just because I've had since October to nurture my love for them:love: lol.

I have 2 main professional goals.
1. Work in international medical missions
2. Go into academics (clinical professor) when I am done galavanting the globe as a medical missionary for a few years:cool:.

I once had a faculty adcom member tell me to go wherever I wanted unless another school is $50K cheaper. You're right in saying that in this career $30K isn't a lot.

However, it seems that your goals line up with WashU better. Many of their students go on international research/service trips after their first year, and their research is awesome. Maybe UVa has the same opportunities, I don't really remember, but I know that WashU matches up with those goals.

I just got my fin aid from WashU today and the good news is I got $40,000/year in scholarship. Yay!:D Bad news is it is all need based and my parents' income went up significantly this year so that scholarship will be reduced to about $25,000 next year. However, UVA has a higher COA for year 2, 3, and 4. All done and said, WashU would save me $30,000 over the four years...not a HUGE amount of money, but still. I think I'm more into UVA with their new 1.5/2.5 curriculum but that's probably just because I've had since October to nurture my love for them:love: lol.

I have 2 main professional goals.
1. Work in international medical missions
2. Go into academics (clinical professor) when I am done galavanting the globe as a medical missionary for a few years:cool:.

Clarify if you will save $30k over 4 years or $30k per year. Maybe I missed something...

If it is only $30k over 4 years, don't sweat it. Go to the school you want to, and it sounds like that school is UVA.

If on the other hand it is $30k per year, jeez...if you want academics, WashU is pretty dang strong in this...

30K total for 4 years.

Clarify if you will save $30k over 4 years or $30k per year. Maybe I missed something...

If it is only $30k over 4 years, don't sweat it. Go to the school you want to, and it sounds like that school is UVA.

If on the other hand it is $30k per year, jeez...if you want academics, WashU is pretty dang strong in this...

30K total for 4 years.

Not enough money to factor in here.

Not saying how much money should matter, but $7500 a year in additional debt is almost a rounding error...

I decided to go to UVa. Withdrew from WashU today. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.