Uva Mstp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodowithmys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have posted a similar topic under a different name but it didnt get as many responses as I wouldve liked. I was wondering if anyone has ANY info at all on UVAs MSTP program? I am particulary interested in biomedical engineering. Why UVA, some of you may ask.. but I have my personal reasons as to why its my top choice (a.LOCATION, b.my gpa is not up to par with bigtime biomed engineering aka harv/mit, hopkins, duke, stanford, etc., c. i really like the young faculty they seem to have moving into the department, d. did i mention location?=> im a country boy from va and thats where id like to stay)

So any info/advice at all would be helpful.. difficulty to get it, what UVA in particular may value in applicants, etc. Thanks, everybody so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

UVA has a strong MSTP program. There was talk about how the program lost MSTP funding ~5 years ago. However, they got a new program director who really turned the program around in the positive direction and they got their MSTP funding back. The research there is quite strong and the MSTP students there that I met not only during my interview there but during future meetings (e.g., National MD/PhD student conference held in Colorado) are really a fun bunch.

As for difficulty getting in, I would say it is competitive. I dunno how many spots they have every year but quite a few people apply there. As for credentials, it's pretty much the same as for any MSTP program; they look for similar things in applicants. Also, when I was applying, they may ask for a second interview (which is all expenses paid). If that is the case, they're strongly strongly considering you and you should definitely go to that.

A friend of mine is doing MSTP program. He will be a second year this fall. I know he had 35 MCAT and 3.95 GPA at Uva. He also had a few research experiences.