UTSW vs Dell (after Dell's first step scores released)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VivaElBirdos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to pre-match into these two schools. Has the comparison changed since the release of Dell's Step 1 scores? (244 average) They have higher Step averages, lower tuition and much smaller class size (50 vs 244). However, UTSW seems to be the safe bet with their established reputation, strong residency programs and prior match lists. Curious to hear other's opinions and see if the stance on Dell is evolving as new information comes out.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, although I am pretty sure Dell gives a 25% scholarship to the first 4 classes so it would be ~20k cheaper over 4 years, not enough to base my decision around it.

Hey @VivaElBirdos, congratulations on those excellent prematches. I’m in a similar dilemma and actually started a forum a few days back also trying to gain some clarity.
How to Choose The Right School
Both are great schools, I think it’ll come down to where you plan on focusing your career down the road as you outlined. UTSW is a clinical/research powerhouse, while Dell does seem to have more of a primary/internal med focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
# of UTSW alumni in the workplace will be significantly greater for the entirety of your career. Dell seems like a nice school but the chances of benefitting in the future for someone who is a fellow alum is much greater for a UTSW grad than for a Dell grad.

Reactions: 2 users
UTSW's Step score average this year was 239, I don't think that's significantly different from 244 for it to outweigh research, residency programs, etc.

Reactions: 3 users