Columbia (400k) vs Dell (40k)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyhorse

Reaction score
Columbia
Pros
  • Prestige
  • Very interested in competitive specialties (derm, rad, gas)
  • NYC would be new and different and exciting--20s in NYC seems like a once in a lifetime opp
  • Matches in different places in the country
  • Some friends in NYC and the northeast
  • Interview was fun and students seem to like it there
Cons
  • Very high CoA ~400k with no financial or merit aid
  • Far away from home--but I'm not too attached to family
  • Big city is a little indimidating--never been to NYC before and don't know what to expect
  • Not having a car scares me
  • Not sure if I want to live in NYC long-term
  • Cut-throat allegations?

Dell
Pros
  • IS and scholarship means very low CoA ~40k
  • Family is a few hours drive away
  • Austin is a cool, fun city I've been to many times
  • Program seems laidback and chill
Cons
  • Very small class size makes me nervous
  • Matches mostly in TX and I don't want to be limited or stay in Texas long-term
  • Newish program, heard some people say it's too experimental/not set up great yet
  • Might get bored in Austin since it's familiar
Summary: Is Columbia worth 10x the cost of Dell?? Ultimate goal is to be a private-practice dermatologist. I'm not able to attend either of the second-look weekends so any insight would be so so so appreciated! Leaning toward Columbia because of the potential doors it could open but 360k is so much money.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you help me understand the gravity of taking out and repaying loans? I was fortunate to have a full-ride for undergrad and am so confused by how loans work...
Ask your parents
It would be like taking a loan to buy a house but you have no house to live in, just your school loans to pay off.
You will be able to do it, but it will take years

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren’t you accepted to UCSD too? How did you rule that out?
My answer would be Dell and you can do as much Derm stuff as you want in your free year and be ready for derm

Wow that's a huge price difference. I really think you should go to Dell for that amount of money. Austin is a wonderful city and I really do believe that Dell is becoming one of Texas' strongest programs. It has so much potential.

It sound like you are more enthusiastic about Columbia. However, if its any solace to you, Dell has a strong national reputation already. I am surprised the amount of speakers I've had at my school that are from Dell giving grand rounds or talks to my school over here on the West Coast. I also think that since you want to go into private-practice your school pedigree is really not going to matter all that much, it would be more relevant if you went into academics.

With newer/newish schools you always want to make sure that they have the departments for what you want to go into, but as far as I can see from a quick google search Dell has a dermatology department and even a residency program. I think you'll have plenty of research opportunities and mentorship through it if that is what you are looking for, especially considering that Dell's curriculum gives you a year to do a project (which I believe can be research).

360 K is so much money. That is going to likely compound to 420-450K by the time you are going to pay it off. You also don't have PSLF at your disposal if you go into private practice. Go with financial freedom given your preference for private practice.

Reactions: 2 users
You sound really excited about Columbia. Aside from matching into a prestigious specialty, are you interested in anything else that Columbia can offer you? Advocacy, connections, research, any special outreach that only a T10 such as Columbia can offer you?

The price tag of Dell is definitely attractive but it is a new and unranked medical school. Being associated with UT Austin, maybe it will rise in prestige in the future. If you were up against a general T20-T30 school, I would say go for Dell but this is Columbia.

You will make that 400k back in less than one year as a private-practice dermatologist.

I don’t think Columbia can justify that price. The difference is just too large. You can be a dermatologist just fine from Dell

400K is way too much debt and who knows what the physician reimbursement will be when you get out of training.

The most important thing is the match list. Does Dell match derm well? yes... so you'll be fine either way. If you still want to go to Columbia just see if they will match the COA of Dell or come close to it. If you can bring COA down to like 100K more for Columbia vs. Dell, then maybe it would be worth it. I just dont know if 360K + difference is justifiable

My boyfriend goes to Columbia Med and he LOVES it. Having visited him and met a lot of the med students, I can def say everyone is great!!! My bf was also nervous about NY living but he was happily surprised. He wouldn’t change a thing. I also know Columbia is very generous with covering demonstrated need!!

Reactions: 1 user
Dell might not have reached UTSW/Baylor caliber just yet but it is definitely coming up to reach it very slowly (IMO at some point the top programs will be UTSW ~ Dell > Baylor just out of pure speculation). Very strong program and massively developing. They just started building a new MD-Anderson center there as well which drastically will increase the caliber of patients and medicine that you will learn there. Dell also matches really really well everywhere, even if Columbia (or any name brand school) matches better not sure $400k debt is worth it (discluding COL)

Reactions: 1 user