UTSW Class of 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MS0 weekend was good. Nice meeting you, MadameLulu and Brightstar!!! Yeah I had no idea who anyone else was...there were a lot of people there...lots of food too. I think that they sold the school well. I don't know about others, but I'm excited about going there now, especially after having met some of my future classmates. =)

I'd write more but I'm really tired and sick right now.

Members don't see this ad.

bump?

So, is the class going to be 220 this year? I thought all the UT schools had 200 student classes. Seems like lots of people there were waiting to see about out of state before committing.

It was also good to meet Runner and MadameLULU there, thought my gf made fun of me for having "internet friends".

bump

so where did everyone stay during MS0?

I ended up staying at Inwood and was very impressed. Which other complex can beat a 5 min. walk to campus? If I weren't set on purchasing a condo, I'd defintely live here

Members don't see this ad :)
i know this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know why UT-Southwestern is named southwestern? (texas isn 't in the southwest, nor is dallas in the southwest part of texas)

I stayed w/ a friend near Ross and 75... By Baylor hospital.

Where are you looking at condos? I want to buy something too, maybe a house in oakcliff or something closer.

heeter said:
I stayed w/ a friend near Ross and 75... By Baylor hospital.

Where are you looking at condos? I want to buy something too, maybe a house in oakcliff or something closer.

I haven't really started looking, since I'm not sure I'm going there yet. One of the MS2s that I chatted with is currently looking for one and is willing to hook me up with her real estate agent if I decide to come. Her real estate agent has a daughter who is an MS3 at UTSW, so she has an idea of what most med students are looking for.

Hey, where is everybody? Lets keep this thread alive. I know you guys are as excited as I am about going to Southwestern!

Does anyone know where they want to live yet? I didn't go on the bus tour during second look weekend, so does anyone know of any nice condos?

Congratulations to everyone. I am excited about getting started and meeting some of you. Have yall started looking for places to live yet? Where is everyone planning on living?

bump

still not sure where I'm living... where are the reasonably priced condos? some pocket of the park cities?

Right now, I am lookng in uptown/dowtown area. But these are very expensive and at the limits of what our financial aid budget will be. Is anybody planning on living in the apts close to school? I have not checked out the roomate option, but I may have to.

Coronada said:
i know this might be a stupid question, but does anyone know why UT-Southwestern is named southwestern? (texas isn 't in the southwest, nor is dallas in the southwest part of texas)

Something about Southwestern Medical Foundation or something like that...giving the medical school money and...ta-da...now it's called Southwestern Medical Center. Yes...the details are rather blurry...it was early on Friday and I was still asleep!

Members don't see this ad :)
Prophecies said:
Something about Southwestern Medical Foundation or something like that...giving the medical school money and...ta-da...now it's called Southwestern Medical Center. Yes...the details are rather blurry...it was early on Friday and I was still asleep!

yeah, day 2 was the tough one... that's too early on a saturday, especially when I'm not taking classes.

heeter said:
yeah, day 2 was the tough one... that's too early on a saturday, especially when I'm not taking classes.
What? There was a Day 2...oops... :D

Naah just kidding...my sister's birthday was on Saturday so I wasn't able to go to the second session. I'm from Dallas so I didn't really need the tour and stuff--wouldn't mind the HEARTY BREAKFAST though hehehe!

Prophecies said:

haha, thanks for the info!! i couldn't make MS0 day :( so i missed all that good stuff. i like your avatar!! :)

Coronada said:
haha, thanks for the info!! i couldn't make MS0 day :( so i missed all that good stuff. i like your avatar!! :)
hehehe thanks! Goooooooo ER :) My name is Bryce...yeah I kinda was out of it during Fri/Sat because I wrecked my car on the way to Dallas so...yeah...I was more worried about getting transportation than giving my full attention to MS0 Day :\

Anyway...anybody out there I met? Everyone excited about starting in the fall? :D

I did not get a chance to make it, but how was it? How does the class look? Hopefully it will be a fun group.

JWAG said:
I did not get a chance to make it, but how was it? How does the class look? Hopefully it will be a fun group.
Like I said, I didn't make it to all the sessions, but the ones I did go to seemed to be an expansion of what they told us during the interview. The staff was funny...oooh and we got free M&Ms...MMMMMMMMMMMMMM chocolate!

I think they said 140 people came to MS0 Day--it surprised me that people didn't have anything to do on Friday...yay for missing school! :oops:) Everyone was really nice...I am definitely convinced that UTSW is the right place for me...hmph Baylor made me feel so uncomfortable.

bump bumpity bump bump bump :(

MadameLULU said:
so, which one are you in the pic? can't figure out if you are male or female.

i think those are characters from ER.... :)

MadameLULU said:
so, which one are you in the pic? can't figure out if you are male or female.

lol, I thought he was the guy in the pic too! That totally doesn't look like the guy from ER...

-tx

I'm actually the love child of the two people in the picture... ... ...yeah.

ER is a great show. I don't really like it anymore--it got really dramatic and stupid...but I still watch it anyway, though! :) What kind of shows do ya'll watch?

Prophecies said:

ER is a great show. I don't really like it anymore--it got really dramatic and stupid...but I still watch it anyway, though! :) What kind of shows do ya'll watch?

i agree with what you said about ER...I only watch it every now and then because of that girl (whose name i dont know but she was Jasminder on Bend it like Beckham).

Anyone watch Apprentice last night?? I was happy that John got fired, but was surprised that the 21 yo wasnt, especially after raising his voice in the board room.

So, are any of you going to drop your acceptance? I'm almost positive I will end up at UTSW... Also, anyone have any luck getting into a lab for the summer? I'm emailing PIs to see what they are looking for.

UTSW is definitely where I will be in the Fall!

The summer research opportunities sound excellent, and near the end of last month I emailed a few PIs to see what projects they were offering. I think, however, that I'll stay with my current research job at UTHSCSA...just more interesting to me I suppose.

Prophecies said:
UTSW is definitely where I will be in the Fall!

The summer research opportunities sound excellent, and near the end of last month I emailed a few PIs to see what projects they were offering. I think, however, that I'll stay with my current research job at UTHSCSA...just more interesting to me I suppose.

My research project is over here but I'd like to get something done before school... Ive just been working for a few years and need to get into an academic mindset again.

Prophecies said:

so, are you male or female?

I don't watch tv much...Although, i've been watching the Apprentice off and on this season...I also am glad john got fired...

According to my profile, I am definitely male. But...I'm not sure how accurate that assessment may be. :p Yes, I'm male. :)

so anyone find any places to live yet? Just wondering what yall were planning on doing.

thanks for all of yall's replies

not yet. I am still looking. The area right around school is not too apealing, but prices are high closer to downtown.

tgerwuds said:
so anyone find any places to live yet? Just wondering what yall were planning on doing.

thanks for all of yall's replies

There are some condos on Cole that I might look at. That's a damn pricey area, though.

heeter said:
There are some condos on Cole that I might look at. That's a damn pricey area, though.

I used to work at Children's, so this thread caught my eye....

If you folks are looking for a decent and safe place to live, consider Irving/Las Colinas.

John Carpenter Freeway will take you right to Parkland/UTSW in 10 min. The traffic is not too bad (if you leave early), though folks in Dallas do drive like lunatics!

Besides, you can take the TRE (commuter train) from Fort Worth all the way to Downton Dallas. It stops at Medical Market Center, practically 500 yards from the ER entrance.

I worked at Children's and Parkland hospitals and I almost never drove. It was so convenient to take the train from the South Irving station to UTSW.

Unless you get a good deal, it's a hell of alot cheaper than downtown (and safer than Oakcliff.)

Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are the "foo foo" part of Irving. I lived in LC on Thomas Jefferson Park for 4 years.

For those of you considering renting, check out Remmington Hills, Jefferson Creek or any of the apts on the Park. I had a great view of the canal in the park and only paid 530 a month!

Good luck all at UTSW. It's a great school!

sunnyjohn said:
I used to work at Children's, so this thread caught my eye....

If you folks are looking for a decent and safe place to live, consider Irving/Las Colinas.

John Carpenter Freeway will take you right to Parkland/UTSW in 10 min. The traffic is not too bad (if you leave early), though folks in Dallas do drive like lunatics!

Besides, you can take the TRE (commuter train) from Fort Worth all the way to Downton Dallas. It stops at Medical Market Center, practically 500 yards from the ER entrance.

I worked at Children's and Parkland hospitals and I almost never drove. It was so convenient to take the train from the South Irving station to UTSW.

Unless you get a good deal, it's a hell of alot cheaper than downtown (and safer than Oakcliff.)

Las Colinas and Valley Ranch are the "foo foo" part of Irving. I lived in LC on Thomas Jefferson Park for 4 years.

For those of you considering renting, check out Remmington Hills, Jefferson Creek or any of the apts on the Park. I had a great view of the canal in the park and only paid 530 a month!

Good luck all at UTSW. It's a great school!

Thanks for the info

Thanks. I had not really looked into LC/Irving or even thought about it.

Glad I could help. I know how important it is to like where you live.

Happy home= happy student

:D

Agape

I have been looking in the McKinney and Cole area... I believe it is called "uptown"

I found some 1 bedroom (no more roomates!) and some efficiencies for prices I am used to paying in Austin... about 600 ish.

The places I found were from the "Post" Complex company

Oh and any of yall doing summer research?

If so... with who?

Uptown is an awesome area. I lived there for years, before it broke and they built all the high rises. Look around and you can find a great deal. Its a great neighborhood. I wouldn't live in Irving for ANY amount of money.

roja said:
Uptown is an awesome area. I lived there for years, before it broke and they built all the high rises. Look around and you can find a great deal. Its a great neighborhood. I wouldn't live in Irving for ANY amount of money.

I'm also really thinking about uptown or maybe a bit further north (if I can afford it). Thing is, I have a dog so I really want to be near a park of some sort to walk the guy. There is Turtle Creek and the Katy trail in those areas I believe. I'm picky about where I live, though. After living in a house in Austin near campus I don't want to live in the suburbs or in a apartment.

As for research, I have a few meetins with PIs next month after I quit my job. Drs Devous and Hill so far. I need to do some more checking on labs, though.

Turtle Creek is lovely, then so is Highland Park. I like Mickinney and Cole. "Post" has GREAT places.

When I mentioned Irving, I am not talking South Irving or Irving proper. I am talking Las Colinas around Hackenbury Creek. 2 million dollar homes in gated communities on the golf courses..... I lived 2 blocks from the Four Seasons Hotel and played golf on the course on Sundays. Valley Ranch is cool too. Almost everything there is less than 5 years old.

Or check out the other side of John Carpenter FWY in LAS COLINAS near the high rises right up from the Omni Hotel. ... I lived about a year in the Grand Treviso when it first opened....Door man, concierge,roof top pool, neighborhood boutiques, Great view from my balcony, awesome...and they are selling some of the units as condos

http://www.grandtreviso.com/

Yeah I did forget to mention, the joke about Irving, you have to know Spanish to live there.

But quite frankly, if you are planning to go to UTSW and spend any time at Parkland, you probably should know Spanish....:p

Actually irving and las colinas are really white suburban. (my husband grew up there.) I just hate all the burbs an las colinas is absolutely the LAST place I would live. I would rather live in lower greenville area. Driving isn't that bad. I loved uptown and it was great. back then it wasn't 'uptown' but.....

Someone mentioned McKinney...McKinney is too far away...I lived there for several years until I moved to SA for undergrad...when I came home to stay with my family (in MCK) for MS0 Day it took me over an hour to get to the school...there is too much traffic in the morning on both 75, Preston, and the Tollway...especially near 635. Bad idea :(

Prophecies said:
Someone mentioned McKinney...McKinney is too far away...I lived there for several years until I moved to SA for undergrad...when I came home to stay with my family (in MCK) for MS0 Day it took me over an hour to get to the school...there is too much traffic in the morning on both 75, Preston, and the Tollway...especially near 635. Bad idea :(

I think they were referring to the street McKinney which is in uptown...

Well nevermind then :cool:

roja said:
Actually irving and las colinas are really white suburban. (my husband grew up there.) I just hate all the burbs an las colinas is absolutely the LAST place I would live. I would rather live in lower greenville area. Driving isn't that bad. I loved uptown and it was great. back then it wasn't 'uptown' but.....

True, true .... I added a bit of "diversity" on that Hackenberry golf Course! (hehe) :D

What about Deep Ellum? :p

----------

Agape

roja said:
Actually irving and las colinas are really white suburban. (my husband grew up there.)

I grew up in Irving proper (although the part I grew up in wasn't white then and still isn't white), and I don't think it really is "white suburbia" anymore. Las colinas, Valley Ranch-certainly yes. I would only only call far north Irving white suburbia.