UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone out there really do well without attending class? For me, staying in an apartment for days at a time and studying would be a miserable existence.

It really depends on how you learn. Some people learn by repetition, whereas others like to learn it themselves. As the lectures and classes go on, you pick up on who is a decent lecturer in which you will actually learn something if you go to their lectures...other lecturers, you kind of know when to not go.

As for the schedule, get used to an 8am-noon rotation...somedays you start a little later or you get out a little earlier. They differ for each class, but in general 8am-noon is a good guess until you get a physical copy of the syllabus and check it out.

tuition + fee is up to $12230 this year. Two years ago, it was $9k. So by our 4th year, we'll be paying $18k? Lame

Any ways, what's Quest?

I wouldn't complain too much about tuition, you are still getting a pretty good deal on a good medical education even if it has gone up a couple thousand in a few years. As for QUEST, its a weekend long event that brings together most of the incoming students from the four different schools at UTMB (medicine, nursing, graduates, allied health) for a pre-orientation type deal. Basically, you have fun, win prizes, get to know people, and relax a few days before orientation and actual school

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone suggest a cell phone carrier in galveston? I am particularly interested in Cingular or Verizon

can anyone suggest a cell phone carrier in galveston? I am particularly interested in Cingular or Verizon

I would highly recommend Cingular. It has the best reception on the island, and most people I know have it. I'm not sure about Verizon, but I know for sure that Sprint is awful on the island.

I would also recommend going to Quest, it's a lot of fun and a great chance to relax and get to know people before orientation (which is incredibly boring) and school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend Cingular. It has the best reception on the island, and most people I know have it. I'm not sure about Verizon, but I know for sure that Sprint is awful on the island.

I would also recommend going to Quest, it's a lot of fun and a great chance to relax and get to know people before orientation (which is incredibly boring) and school starts.

when is QUEST? Was it stated in the information packet we received? I may have overlooked it.

Hey, Baylor, what is the tuition+fee total for ur class this year?

Verizon works pretty well on the island and I never had any problems with it when I was there. Most cell phones don't work deep within the buildings because of all the concrete/steel. i've heard good things about cingular too.

anyone know anything about the UTMB health insurance plan? it seems like a good deal but it wasn't rated too highly on the student satisfaction survey.

when is QUEST? Was it stated in the information packet we received? I may have overlooked it.

Its the weekend before orientation. There was one small superman flyer about it that said more information would be coming about it.

Yes, it's the weekend before orientation (Friday and Saturday). I would also recommend going to AMWA Welcome Weekend, which will probably be the weekend before that. This is also a lot of fun, and most of the frats will host parties during the weekend so it is a great opportunity to get to know a lot of people, plus it is free.

Don't worry, your second mailing will have more fliers and information than you could ever want. You will get more information about Quest and welcome weekend, etc then. Just hang tight, the hard part is over! Enjoy the time you have left before school starts =)

Hey guys..welcome to UTMB! I'm a fourth year wrapping up my time here in Galveston and I wish you all the best--you've picked a great place to learn medicine.

I know most of you are settled with living arrangements but just in case...

I'm Selling my condo at Port Aux Prince if you or any one you know might be interested..
-1 bedroom/bath
-approx. 900 sqft
-new paint, carpet & tile.
-fireplace
-washer/dryer
-track lighting
-covered parking
-outside storage shed
-new dishwasher
-new ac unit
-walking distance to campus.
this place has been great for me these past few years. If any of you are looking for an investment its a good way to go. Feel free to contact me if your interested.

Neil Manek
713-498-1369

Also feel free to contact me with any other questions you have about med school. I'd be more than happy to chat with you about things I'm glad I did and things I would do differently. Good luck!

Its the weekend before Orientation begins...you will get more info at a later mailing...believe me, you will get more info than you ever wanted.

Hey, Baylor, what is the tuition+fee total for ur class this year?

Hmmm, I think total tuition+fees came to about 11K (+/- $500). So really, they didn't up the tuition too much this year for you guys.

anyone know anything about the UTMB health insurance plan? it seems like a good deal but it wasn't rated too highly on the student satisfaction survey.

The UTMB health insurance is through Mega Life. I wasn't too fond of, and I've heard that students have a hard time having them cover certain things.

did anyone hear anything about their financial aid packages, I occasionally check the website and have yet to hear

The financial aid guy (Gordon) told me at the beginning of last week that preliminary packages had been put together, would be reviewed, and sent out shortly. I thought he meant sometime last week, but I haven't received anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had spoken with Ms. Griffen, and she had told me that hopefully this week, the financial aid packages would be ready and sent. We will have to wait and see. Take it easy all!

Hi everyone,

I posted on here a few weeks ago about living at our frat house, you have probably all gotten the flier by now that was in your mail packet. I've gotten a lot of responses and have shown the house to some first years, and have gotten some deposits already so hurry up!

If you had a chance to look at the flier, we're the only co-ed frat with PRIVATE BATHROOMS and our rent is $350/month. (we just voted to increase is from $325, our first rent increase in 10 years)

We are one of 2 student-run frats that has decided against selling their property to UTMB, and because of this we control our rent and everything about our house and our fraternity. No one can evict us, raise our rent, etc, becasue we make our own decisions! ( another advantage of living at our house!)

From what I've heard so far from incoming students, having a private bathroom is the most appreciated and coveted aspect of our house, so if you haven't considered living in a frat or haven't gotten around to contacting us yet, consider the private bathroom as well as all the cash you'll save NOT PAYING BILLS!! In fact, your loan package will be much too much and you will be able to reduce how much you accept in later years, based on how much you save in RENT, BILLS AND GROCERIES and not be in so much debt when you finish!!!

I have let a few rooms go to older students, but I am still holding some rooms open for first year students although upperclassmen are also interested in moving in, because we like to give priority to first years to build a strong incoming class when possible. So far I have heard from about 10 people, we have 3 or 4 rooms left available, and they usually fill up fast for fall once our seniors move out.

We also offer a package deal for Pre-matric for $450 including rent, meals in the month of June, and all bills paid. We also require a $100 refundable deposit for pre-matric, and you are welcome to stay for the fall and become a member.

And we need some more dudes. I don't know if my being female is scaring the manly men away, we have always been about 50-50 men and women but for some reason there have been slightly more women than men who have contacted me from your class. EVERYONE is welcome!

Thanks
Anna

Visit UTMB's oldest and largest frat online: phichizeta.org

The financial aid guy (Gordon) told me at the beginning of last week that preliminary packages had been put together, would be reviewed, and sent out shortly. I thought he meant sometime last week, but I haven't received anything.

I'm new to this whole financial aid stuff...but what does the preliminary package entail? I've already submitted my fafsa and the parental info requested by utmb awhile back, but not sure what will be sent out to us.
Thanks!

I'm also new to the financial aid game... but supposedly, sometime this week we will receive an email from financial aid telling us to log on to the econnect site and either accept or reject a financial aid package that they have put together for us. the package will include all scholarships, grants, loans that we will be getting. if we think its too much, we can decline some of it. if we need more, we have to call them and explain situations, etc. hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!

By the way, can those who receive info from the financial aid service post it here when it happens (hopefully it's this week)?

Well, I spoke with Enrollment Services today. They said the first batch of award letters will be sent out tomorrow and should be able to be viewed on e-connect tomorrow. Not sure when the other batches will be sent out. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

I got my award leter (through e-connect)..but i'm a tad bit confused on deciphering it (it's my first time)!!
FDUSL
FDSL
TPEG/R
ANDERSON
Which ones are loans and which ones are not?

I got my award leter (through e-connect)..but i'm a tad bit confused on deciphering it (it's my first time)!!
FDUSL
FDSL
TPEG/R
ANDERSON
Which ones are loans and which ones are not?

I just looked at my award letter and also talked with someone in enrollment services and here is how I understand it.

FDUSL is Federal Unsubsidized loans
FDSL is Federal Subsidized loans
TPEG is a Texas Public Education Grant that is awarded to students with the highest financial need
ANDERSON is a need based scholarship
LDS is an Institutional Subsidized loan that has a fixed interest rate of 5%

Some additional types of aid are explained on this link
http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/prospect/financial_aid/students_howSOM.html

The person in financial aid also pointed out that any academic scholarships have not been included in the aid award letters that were sent out today. Those will be added when admissions gets their butt in gear and tells them who was offered scholarships. Finacial aid will then revise the aid award by decreasing the unsubsidized student loans by the amount of the scholarship.

Thanks for the info, LabVIEWMD. I just accessed my award letter and was offered only loans. Except, Enrollment Services hasn't received my grant verification forms yet. Hopefully, I'll see some change in my award letter once they review it! :(

Hey guys. Does anyone know if you HAVE to use the computer allowance on a computer, or do they just increase your total aid amount by the $3000? If I'm reading the award letter right, are they just funding our living expenses at $2118 for 8 months? How do students cover the rest of the year?

Hey guys. Does anyone know if you HAVE to use the computer allowance on a computer, or do they just increase your total aid amount by the $3000? If I'm reading the award letter right, are they just funding our living expenses at $2118 for 8 months? How do students cover the rest of the year?

I'm pretty positive that they just add the amount you request for a "computer" into your award letter; I've heard of other medical schools doing it this way.

If I'm reading the award letter right, are they just funding our living expenses at $2118 for 8 months? How do students cover the rest of the year?

They are only givis us aid for our living expenses for 8 months b/c that is how long MS1 lasts from what I understand. The other 4 months would come from either this summer or next summer between MS1 and MS2. If we end up enrolling in classes or something like that next summer then I believe we can apply to get financial aid for that time period. Otherwise they expect us to live off of a summer research fellowship or summer job I guess. One thing I'm not sure about is how aid works if you go on an International medical trip with the school during the summer. Hopefully they have some sort of funding for that. Does anyone know specifics on this?

I've heard that the computer allowance is just an additional aid of $3000; you don't have to get a computer (maybe get a laptop or computer accessories instead :laugh:)

I haven't got my financial aid yet, but I'm not too worried about having $2118 per month (not including tuition) for only 8 months. Here are some of my suggestions:
(1) $2118*8/12 = $1412 per month for 12 months
(2) ($2118*8 - $3000 for vacation)/12 = $1162 per month 12 months (and a $3000 vacation)
(3) $2118*8/10 = $1694 per month for 10 months and find a job the 2 months in the summer (which I most likely don't wanna do. I don't like working that much :laugh: )
(4) Try to keep the expense down to less than $1412 per month during the school year. The less we spend during the school year, the more we can spend in the summer break and winter break :love:
(5) Try to keep the expense down to less than $1412 per month. The less we spend, the smaller our debt will be.

Hope to see you guys and gals soon!

Does anyone else have an Anderson? For some reason, it only applies for my spring semester, not my fall.

Also, are the interest rates now 6.8%? I heard in july, another bill will be passed...i don't know if that means there will be another increase or hopefully a decrease?

Does anyone else have an Anderson? For some reason, it only applies for my spring semester, not my fall.

Also, are the interest rates now 6.8%? I heard in july, another bill will be passed...i don't know if that means there will be another increase or hopefully a decrease?

I heard that a bill was introduced to slowly reduced the interest rate to a fixed 3.4% in 10 years or so. However, that bill only applies to undergraduate loans

My current unsubsidized federal stafford loan is at 6.8%. I'm not sure what it will be the next academic year, though. Hope that helped, dng_06.

are the aids constant from year to year if there is no changes in your & your parents' income?

I don't have an Anderson, but I do have a Miller, and its only in the spring as well.

I don't have an Anderson, but I do have a Miller, and its only in the spring as well.

They are scholarships...meaning you don't have to pay them back...meaning, they are giving you free money.

Do it

I also have an Anderson that only kicks in for the spring. It is free money so I'm accepting it whenever it comes through though.

I also have an Anderson that only kicks in for the spring. It is free money so I'm accepting it whenever it comes through though.

Free money all the way! I think it's offered in the spring as a reward for those of us who survive the fall semester:cool:

Hey guys, congratulations and welcome to the island. I talked to one of your future classmates about fraternities and found some things about TKY on your thread. TKY, like Phi Chi, is an independent fraternity. Since we weren't on your mailing, I'll give you the gist below. If you don't care you can ignore the rest of this.

We are an all male fraternity located closest to the school (I walk approximately 100 yards to the ortho department right now). We offer private rooms with your own bathroom, high speed internet, giant hi-def TV, 9 meals a week (lunch mon-fri and dinner mon-thurs), free washer/dryer, hot tub and pool, with all bills included for $350 a month. We also offer out of house membership for those not living in the house. Meal plans for out of house guys are $60 a month or $15 if you do a task around the house.

Socially we host several parties a year, mostly concurrent with the first years' test schedule. Also unique to TKY are the bimonthly house meetings (scheduled to the first years). We do a Mardi Gras float and have two formals a year. We play most of the intramural sports.

Academically, there is a lot of access to upperclassmen who can answer questions for you and loan you books. Several of our uppers tutor underclassmen for classes and for boards. We have organized TKY days at St. Vincent's clinic so the unders can learn from the upperclassmen in the clinic. We do our own orientations between 2nd and 3rd year on how to transition into the clinics. We also have a grant from AOA to run a Teen Health Camp at Ball High School, which is a lot of fun and looks great on a resume. We also have several residents who are members. Our in-house average on Step 1 has been in the 240s for the last few years.

Pros- We are more involved than most fraternities, but membership certainly has its benefits

Cons- Not for the faint of heart. Our house is not the most aesthetically pleasing, but the individual rooms are great.

Note to the faint of heart: If you aren't one to work hard and play hard, you probably need not apply. We are a brotherhood that promotes leadership and teamwork; gunners don't fit in very well.

My name is Abby and I’m a second year medical student at UTMB. I have a room available in a condo located less than 4 blocks from UTMB (a 3 minute bike ride/10 minute walk). I’m looking to rent out the second bedroom.

The condo is 2 bedroom/2 bathroom, large living space, full washer and dryer, wireless internet, central AC/heat and ceiling fans in every room.

The condo is renovated and very comfortable. It’s located in a quiet neighborhood which has a great park across the street and is walking distance to the gym, school, and beach. I’m an upperclassman so you’ll get great advice on how to tackle med school and get any of my books laying around so you don’t have to spend your money on that. I'm laid back (for a medical student) and easy to get along with.

If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. I can give you more information and plenty of pictures of the place. I am also on facebook.

Congrats on getting in. I absolutely love UTMB. You won't regret going here.

They are scholarships...meaning you don't have to pay them back...meaning, they are giving you free money.

Do it

I still only have loans on my financial aid page; does anyone know if UTMB is done offering scholarships for this year? :confused:

I got into UTMB on Wednesday and have no idea about financial aid. I still haven't gotten a packet from them with all my info, just a phone call. Should I go ahead and fill out FAFSA? What next?

I got into UTMB on Wednesday and have no idea about financial aid. I still haven't gotten a packet from them with all my info, just a phone call. Should I go ahead and fill out FAFSA? What next?

Yes! Do it ASAP!!!!!

And also, congratulations!

After we do the Master Promissary note, for the loans, do we need to do anything else, or just wait for Enrollment services to let us know what is next? Thanks all. Make sure to get on Facebook with us, if you haven't already done so. UTMB Class 2011 > Everything. Peace.

Hey everyone - I'm a second year at UTMB and I'm looking for a roommate for next year. I live really close to campus in a 2bed/2.5bath - so if you're interested, email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

so what's the biggest grant/scholarship package that's offered?

I don't know what is biggest but I'm not complaining about my 9K TPEG and my 2K Anderson

son of a gun, practically a full-ride tuition

Hey guys, heres another housing opportunity from my awesome 2nd year friend Joe.

"My name is Joe Karam and I’m a second year medical student at UTMB. I have a room available in a house located less than a mile from UTMB (a 3 minute bike ride to be exact). Currently, I live with two other second year medical students, both of whom are female. More often than not, we are clean, quiet and study oriented.

The house is 2-story, 4 bedroom/4 bathroom, large kitchen, tons of living space downstairs, full washer and dryer, wireless internet, Cable with HBO and central AC/heat and ceiling fans in every room. The situation is ALL BILLS PAID.

Pros: It would be good to live with upperclassmen because we’ve been through what you are about to go through, and we’ve got some good advice and study-tips. Also, we have all the books you may or may not want to buy, so you don’t have to spend tons of mullah every 2 months on books. Also, the house was renovated less than a year ago, so it’s got BRAND NEW plumbing, electricity, roof, A/C/heat, washer/dryer, water heater and dishwasher. But NOT the refrigerator, that came with the house and I’m willing to bet it’s almost 2 years old by now.

Cons: It’s a bummer that you won’t get to take care of the electricity, gas, water and cable bills on your own (for that, I’m sorry). Also, we’re pretty friendly, so we might give you the false sense that everyone is as friendly as we are. Don’t be mistaken, there are bad people out there in the world.

If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected], or you can call me at 210-274-9369. I can give you more information and plenty of pictures of the place. I am not on facebook, but both of my roommates are so feel free to look them up or contact them and ask them about the place: they are Amy Gruber and Jennifer Truong."

I don't know what is biggest but I'm not complaining about my 9K TPEG and my 2K Anderson

Are you getting a 9K TPEG per year? That seems like a lot. Do you know why (i.e. exceptional need, etc.)? (Forgive me for asking a seemingly personal question I am just curious)

From my understanding need based aid is awarded based on parent's financial situation. My parents make less than I could with my undergrad degree straight out of college. It is as simple as that.