MD Utilizing multiple acceptances for potential scholarships / increased financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drew28982898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! X-posted this here as well as you all have already been in school for years and know the other side better than us premeds. So I have 4 MD acceptances currently: UNC, ECU, GW, and OUWB (if any current students). UNC is my top choice right now. My MCAT wasn’t great with a 504, but my GPA was 3.9, and I had strong ECs + essays for what’s it’s worth for merit-based scholarships.

The only package I’ve received so far is GW which did offer a $20,000 per year need-based scholarship but this CoA is still is higher than my instate schools (UNC/ECU) at 250k/210k.

Does anyone have experience or advice from successfully negotiating or emailing financial aid/admissions/deans for scholarships or more aid? I don’t think I’m late to the process yet but would really like to gauge negotiating possibilities or any general advice. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! X-posted this here as well as you all have already been in school for years and know the other side better than us premeds. So I have 4 MD acceptances currently: UNC, ECU, GW, and OUWB (if any current students). UNC is my top choice right now. My MCAT wasn’t great with a 504, but my GPA was 3.9, and I had strong ECs + essays for what’s it’s worth for merit-based scholarships.

The only package I’ve received so far is GW which did offer a $20,000 per year need-based scholarship but this CoA is still is higher than my instate schools (UNC/ECU) at 250k/210k.

Does anyone have experience or advice from successfully negotiating or emailing financial aid/admissions/deans for scholarships or more aid? I don’t think I’m late to the process yet but would really like to gauge negotiating possibilities or any general advice. Thanks so much!
I'll say some schools are quite strict on their scholarship processes, and many do need-based only. However, it never hurts to try.

Mainly I'd write an email to your top choice reiterating that they're your top choice for XYZ reason and you want to start your medical career with them, however with school choice finances is unfortunately a huge part of your decision making factor (can add why if you have a good reason). You can then mention GW offered 20k per year and if they could match that and/or bring their costs down to the equivalent CoA of your in-state schools

I'll say some schools are quite strict on their scholarship processes, and many do need-based only. However, it never hurts to try.

Mainly I'd write an email to your top choice reiterating that they're your top choice for XYZ reason and you want to start your medical career with them, however with school choice finances is unfortunately a huge part of your decision making factor (can add why if you have a good reason). You can then mention GW offered 20k per year and if they could match that and/or bring their costs down to the equivalent CoA of your in-state schools
Hey! So actually my top choice is the 2nd cheapest currently at 250k. The 40k difference between this and the 1st cheapest is insignificant when taking into account rank, quality of life, and research opportunities though.

My only issue is with emailing them and possibly hurting my chances when the scholarship committee meets by being overbearing or telling them I only have a 20,000 scholarship elsewhere. GW's overall CoA is still higher than UNC, even with the scholarship. But I definitely need to reach out and let them know they're my top choice above everyone else! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My only issue is with emailing them and possibly hurting my chances when the scholarship committee meets by being overbearing or telling them I only have a 20,000 scholarship elsewhere.

Don't worry about this they won't care. The e-mail, at worst, would be neutral so shoot your shot.

Don't worry about this they won't care. The e-mail, at worst, would be neutral so shoot your shot.
Sounds good. I found some templates/examples so I think I'm just going to email all 4 and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user

The whole "need based" approach to awarding scholarships for medical school is non-sense. At this point, all medical students are broke and "need" assistance. Thats why we all have to take out loans to pay the exorbitant cost of medical school.

The whole "need based" approach to awarding scholarships for medical school is non-sense. At this point, all medical students are broke and "need" assistance. Thats why we all have to take out loans to pay the exorbitant cost of medical school.
Seems like a weird place to have this discussion, but that is certainly not true. A lot of folks have way more family assistance.

You've got med students with 3k+/mo apartments with 50k cars, and you got med students who pay 450/mo and walk at the same school. These same low income kids also typically come into school with far more debt because their undergrad wasn't paid for. Also, folks from lower-income families are more likely to need a masters program to get into medical school. There's a reason the average med student debt is lower than the CoA of med school - because most med students had their undergrad covered and received assistance through med school. The need-based scholarships go to folks who had far less resources growing up and typically have a higher debt burden coming in. When you've cried/thrown up about how you're going to pay for everything you really see the value of need-based aid, which allows these students to focus on school. While for many med school is the most stressful part of their life, to them that's the bottom of the list. Though, like any system, it of course isn't always spread equitably.

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
Seems like a weird place to have this discussion, but that is certainly not true. A lot of folks have way more family assistance.

You've got med students with 3k+/mo apartments with 50k cars, and you got med students who pay 450/mo and walk at the same school. These same low income kids also typically come into school with far more debt because their undergrad wasn't paid for. Also, folks from lower-income families are more likely to need a masters program to get into medical school. There's a reason the average med student debt is lower than the CoA of med school - because most med students had their undergrad covered and received assistance through med school. The need-based scholarships go to folks who had far less resources growing up and typically have a higher debt burden coming in. When you've cried/thrown up about how you're going to pay for everything you really see the value of need-based aid, which allows these students to focus on school. While for many med school is the most stressful part of their life, to them that's the bottom of the list. Though, like any system, it of course isn't always spread equitably.
A quick Google search shows that 66% of graduates from public colleges had loans at graduation, so your argument doesn't fly...the idea is that college/graduate school is an investment (one that pays off when you start making a lot more money after graduation).

I’m pretty sure like 25% of med students graduate debt free. A good chunk of these cases are related to family money. Not commenting on if this is how it ought to be, but a significant portion don’t have to take out any loans and if they do it’s just for tax benefits.

Source:

To answer the OP’s question, I would try to ask m Carolina to match GWU but state schools are notorious for being inflexible for IS financial aid packages. Merit scholarships tend to be numbers (MCAT + gpa) based but there are exceptions

Last edited:
  • Hmm
A quick Google search shows that 66% of graduates from public colleges had loans at graduation, so your argument doesn't fly...the idea is that college/graduate school is an investment (one that pays off when you start making a lot more money after graduation).
Uhm... you realized youre looking at all graduates from public college correct? This isn't the average population that goes on to medical school....

I’m pretty sure like 25% of med students graduate debt free. A good chunk of these cases are related to family money. Not commenting on if this is how it ought to be, but a significant portion don’t have to take out any loans and if they do it’s just for tax benefits.

Source:

To answer the OP’s question, I would try to ask m Carolina to match GWU but state schools are notorious for being inflexible for IS financial aid packages.
I checked out ur link. Not sure what you mean by tax benefits--does this outweigh the $215k figure or something?

"the median debt was $200,000 in 2019. The average four-year cost for public school students is $250,222. For private school students, the cost is $330,180. "

The median debt is lower than the average cost of med school alone; there's a lot of family assistance at play here. Very few med students had to pay for ALL of undergrad + (+ masters) + medical school.

Uhm... you realized youre looking at all graduates from public college correct? This isn't the population that goes on to medical school....
I typed that word out, so ya I know what I typed. LOL.
According to this source, 78.5% of all college students attend public institutions.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
I typed that word out, so ya I know what I typed. LOL.
According to this source, 78.5% of all college students attend public institutions.
I feel like you still understand what you're posting? What does this have to do with the average debt of an incoming med student?....

I'm saying you're looking at the average debt of a college graduate; that isn't a reflection of the population of folks who go on to med school. Clearly shown by the data.

Only 43% of med students had ANY educational debt before med school.

"the median debt was $200,000 in 2019. The average four-year cost for public school students is $250,222. For private school students, the cost is $330,180. "

The median debt is lower than the average cost of med school alone; there's a lot of family assistance at play here. Very few med students had to pay for ALL of undergrad + (+ masters) + medical school.
No, you misunderstand. Debt is debt. No one would have debt if the cost of attendance was less than their debt. Capeach?

• Hmm
No, you misunderstand. Debt is debt. No one would have debt if the cost of attendance was less than their debt. Capeach?
You're not understanding....

If the Average CoA for medical school ALONE is higher than the Average Med Students TOTAL debt at graduation - it means that some of that is being paid for out of pocket....

Only 76-89% of medical school graduates have educational debt AT ALL.

You're not understanding....

If the Average CoA for medical school ALONE is higher than the Average Med Students TOTAL debt at graduation - it means that some of that is being paid for out of pocket....

Only 76-89% of medical school graduates have educational debt.
No, I do understand.
1. Debt before med school is not what this thread's about
2. "Only" 76-89% of medical school graduates have educational debt--are you a salesman or something? 76-89% is something I'd bet is likely to happen.
3. I'm not debating that some students pay for a portion of their expenses out of pocket, or that certain rich families can cover it all. Not by any means. But when students graduate from medical school with debt, that means that they borrowed against what they had. If you don't comprehend that, then I don't know what to tell u.

• Hmm

You highlighted in my post "most med students had their undergrad covered and received assistance through med school." So yes that is what you were arguing against.

I honestly can't help you any further if you are not understanding.

You highlighted in my post "most med students had their undergrad covered and received assistance through med school." So yes that is what you were arguing against.

I honestly can't help you any further if you are not understanding.
Right. It's kind of complex, but not really. I am against the idea that medical students (on average) graduate debt-free.
I am "for" the idea that the concept of debt means owing money.

This thread is for the birds LOL

And don't tell me what I am arguing against, cuz I made that very clear. YOU are the one who is not understanding--I gave you an easy out; I wasn't trying to criticize you LOL. Maybe @voxveritatisetlucis could chime in, cuz I know that she has some acceptances already.

• Hmm

I am strictly referring to the medical school situation. I understand that going to undergraduate college is completely different and individuals are more likely to be affected by these financial situations, mostly because loans are harder to come by as an undergrad. But let's be real, in medical school it is completely different. An acceptance to medical school gives you guaranteed money from the government and not to mention all the private investors willing to throw money at you because they know medical students are a very safe investment. So I don't want to hear the argument "when you've cried/thrown up about how you're going to pay for everything" because in medical school this hardly applies. A lot of us are suffering and a lot of us are living loan dispersement to loan dispersement. The main difference is that if you come from a middle class family you are automatically excluded from the "need based" scholarship discussion even though everyone receives the same amount of student loan money.

• Love
I am strictly referring to the medical school situation. I understand that going to undergraduate college is completely different and individuals are more likely to be affected by these financial situations, mostly because loans are harder to come by as an undergrad. But let's be real, in medical school it is completely different. An acceptance to medical school gives you guaranteed money from the government and not to mention all the private investors willing to throw money at you because they know medical students are a very safe investment. So I don't want to hear the argument "when you've cried/thrown up about how you're going to pay for everything" because in medical school this hardly applies. A lot of us are suffering and a lot of us are living loan dispersement to loan dispersement. The main difference is that if you come from a middle class family you are automatically excluded from the "need based" scholarship discussion even though everyone receives the same amount of student loan money.
Amen

Right. It's kind of complex, but not really. I am against the idea that medical students (on average) graduate debt-free.
I am "for" the idea that the concept of debt means owing money.

This thread is for the birds LOL

And don't tell me what I am arguing against, cuz I made that very clear. YOU are the one who is not understanding--I gave you an easy out; I wasn't trying to criticize you LOL. Maybe @voxveritatisetlucis could chime in, cuz I know that she has some acceptances already.
Easy out? You sent data you didn't understand to a comment you didn't understand. Just suck up to your mistakes dude.

Me: Many med students come in to med school with zero debt from undergrad.

You: oh YEAH here's a link showing most people have undergrad debt who graduated from undergrad

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Locked since you've previously asked this question within the context of asking about which school to go to. You don't need a separate thread to ask about strategies: UNC vs ECU vs GW

EDIT: un-locking as the OP has requested this thread to remain open and we've closed the original one

Last edited: