Multiple Chair Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningkoyote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was trying to search this up but never found any results. I was wondering if we could have multiple department chair letters for a specialty. For instance I have an IM letter from the chair/PD of a residency program that my home program is affiliated to (I worked with the PD directly as part of the IM rotation), and our home IM department also provides chair letters. Would it be possible to use both for applying to a specialty? Should I designate only one of them as the department letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Only one should be the “chair” letter. You can have the other still write you a letter if you rotated with them but it should be a “normal” LOR

Reactions: 2 users
Any LOR that does not provide substance is useless. It does not matter if it is a chair letter. When I am looking at LORs, if the letter states that you were on time, showed up every day, knew your patients, blah, blah, blah it is a useless letter. However, if it tells me something memorable other than you did what was expected of you then it garners more weight.

Reactions: 1 user