Uthscsa - utmb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

francium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching both of these Texas medical schools, but just can't seem to find which one would be most beneficial. Are there any present students that can give me more insight, or even any community members who have been in this same predicament with their own opinions about these schools? I guess what I'm trying to do is learn more from a student's perspective. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that UTMB was hit hard by Hurricane Ike and has not recovered. They had to lay off a large portion of their staff. Other than that, I can not speak for UTMB. I am most likely going to UTHSCSA next year. It's the largest school in the Texas state system, so I would imagine that you might need to work a bit harder to distinguish yourself, but there is a lot of medicine in San Antonio, and UTHSCSA is the only game in town, so from what I understand, you have your pick of the litter with regards to clinical rotations. I think UTMB has traditionally been more selective. I believe the two schools are comparable.

utmb has been given the go ahead to restore so things are coming back. utmb is very laid back and has higher board scores than san antonio. clinicals are great at utmb with the prisoners being a large part of the learning experience. they come in with really complicated and crazy pathology and you get to be very hands on with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.