Program-Specific Info / Q's UTHSCSA MOT Program Kinesiology Prerequisite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otrgoal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The next cycle for applying to the MOT program at UTHSCSA in Texas now requires a kinesiology course, no exceptions. Unfortunately, none of the colleges near my home offers this course, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a college that offers an online course? The kinesiology course must cover the Principles and Dynamics of Movement.

Members don't see this ad.

The next cycle for applying to the MOT program at UTHSCSA in Texas now requires a kinesiology course, no exceptions. Unfortunately, none of the colleges near my home offers this course, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a college that offers an online course? The kinesiology course must cover the Principles and Dynamics of Movement.
I took biomechanics at UTSA. Not sure though if they have an online course. You may want to check.

I'm trying to apply to UTHSCSA for 2015 and noticed the change. I can't find any schools near me that offer the course. otrgoal, did you find out any online courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to apply to UTHSCSA for 2015 and noticed the change. I can't find any schools near me that offer the course. otrgoal, did you find out any online courses?
Sorry, it's been awhile since I've gone on here! I am very confused, though, about the kinesiology requirement for UTHSCSA. I emailed two different people, and they gave me two answers. I emailed the OT department, and they told me that kinesiology must be taken, no exceptions and that to get help to find a course, I have to contact the School of Health Professions. So, I emailed the School of Health Professions, and they told me a second semester of physics can replace it. I have no idea which department is correct! If anyone has a clear answer, I hope they let the forum know.

The college I'm attending locally didn't offer the Biomechanics class the semester I needed to take it. Really annoying because I suffered through the prerequisite for Biomechanics the previous semester, with a teacher who thought we should be able to learn palpation from a book without her guiding us at all.

So I took an online Biomechanics course from American Public University. It's an 8 week condensed class. My personal wish is that it were a little more mathematically rigourous, but it's aiming the course at people who are interested in personal training, not at former physics majors who are comfortable with math.

The chapters of the textbook they emphasize are:
Kinematic Concepts for Analyzing Human Motion
Kinetic Concepts for Analyzing Human Motion
Linear Kinematics of Human Movement
Angular Kinematics of Human Movement
Linear Kinetics of Human Movement
Equilibrium and Human Movement
Angular Kinetics of Human Movement
Human Movement in a Fluid Medium

I remember searching and seeing some other options that would have worked. There's some school in Michigan that does a lot of online classes aimed at military types. Might be Western Governors U? One or more of schools in the northern part of the midwest also does a lot of online classes U Montana? A long time ago, I was looking at Colorado State as a possible way to get a Cultural Anthropology prereq. They may have had some other classes that worked.

Some other good sources for online classes are University of New England
http://www.une.edu/com/online/

and BYU online http://is.byu.edu/site/.

I had two condensed classes I was supposed to take during the second half of the semester. One of them was canceled because of low registration, so I will probably be taking that online at BYU. The other one has its first class meeting in 10 hours. Driving 20 miles in rush hour in snow tomorrow will probably be time consuming, so I had better get to sleep.

Ugh.. How confusing! I emailed the OT department and they told me the same thing in terms of having to take the kine class, but I have tried multiple times to email/call the Health Professions office and I have yet to receive a response.

CurlyHairedGirl, thanks for the info!! I found a UCLA extensions biomechanics course and I'm trying to run it by UTHSCSA before registering for it since I don't know if they will accept that kind of online course. I also found another biomechanics course on a site called Wexford University. But I believe they give you CEU credit and I'm also not sure if UTHSCSA would accept that. Sure would be nice if they would respond so I would know and could pass info down.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've gone on here! I am very confused, though, about the kinesiology requirement for UTHSCSA. I emailed two different people, and they gave me two answers. I emailed the OT department, and they told me that kinesiology must be taken, no exceptions and that to get help to find a course, I have to contact the School of Health Professions. So, I emailed the School of Health Professions, and they told me a second semester of physics can replace it. I have no idea which department is correct! If anyone has a clear answer, I hope they let the forum know.

I only took a Kinesiology prerequisite because I graduated with a Bachelor's degree at UTSA in Kines. I am wondering about the new prereq of PHYSICS being added to UTHSCSA. I tried to sign up at Alamo Colleges after meeting with a UTHSCSA advisor. Alamo Colleges told me that I would have to take Pre-calculus before I even took Physics since my highest maths were only a College Algebra and Statistics. I then wrote to the advisor at UTHSCSA who said I shouldn't have to take another course just to fulfill their new prerequisite. After relaying the message, Alamo Colleges still will not override Pre-calc prerequisite and are informing me to take the 2 courses. Is anyone else experiencing this? Having your degree, all prereqs completed, (except for the new addition), and still not being able to take physics? What is their deal?

I ran into the same issue. I took a biomechanics course throughout California baptist university online and confirmed that it would substitute. The course was very pricey but it was my only option