UT southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echostation

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please provide any thoughts or opinions on the AP/surgical pathology fellowships at this program? I can't find much out there on the internet and any help or knowledge or opinions on the fellowships of this program would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Surg path fellowship is jr. faculty with independent sign out at Parkland Hospital. Call is every third week for a week at a time for after hours frozens. Case load is 50% gyn. There's a 1PM conference daily with all faculty for tough/interesting cases. I think it is a good fellowship.

The breast fellowship is pretty good if you want to subspecialize. (Though it's not in the same class as Derm or GI from perusing the job ads.) There's enough material to see some interesting/rare things, but not so much that you're constantly swamped. The four attendings are very good pathologists and generally pleasant to work with, though each brings a slightly different perspective.

The weekly multidisciplinary conference is excellent for learning how all the specialties contribute to treating breast diseases. Surg Onc, Rads, and Path fellows present their respective portions of the most challenging/interesting cases for the group to discuss further management. There are additional opportunities to spend time in radiology, rad onc, etc.

Research requirement is minimal, but if that's your thing you would have ample support to do as many projects as you wanted.

There is no call.

The position for 2012-13 is still unfilled.
Applications for July 2013 are coming in now.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in more details.