This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brand.pharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to congratulate those who got an offer for UT Austin this cycle. They must have done amazing on their interviews!

Unfortunately, I failed mine. I got my result recently and I'm still a bit baffled since.

So I have always heard this advice that the interview is nothing to be stressed about, and that your scores, your backgrounds, your letters and your essay should already be convincing enough factors for the committee.

Hence, I'd like to leave this note here for future applicants who's planning to apply: That's NOT TRUE!

I have been in the US for 2 years and 3 months now. Throughout this time, I have maintained a 3.9+GPA at the University of Houston. Nothing to brag about, since this is quite common in the application pool for UT Austin anyways. But then I got pretty lucky and nailed my PCAT with a 99-percentile score. Quite proud of myself for this actually, but I don't really rely on this fact alone. I think besides academic, I do pretty decently on other aspects. I've done research with a genetics professor ever since my second semester up until now, and got a small scholarship recently for my work. I also participate in multiple organizations, being an officer in 2 of them, and have 200+ volunteer hours under my belt. I also tutor calculus 1 for the math department 1 semester, chemistry for 1 semester with ACS, and peer facilitating intro to bio 2 for the biology department this semester. Though I don't have much experience specifically to the field, I've been volunteering with the pharmacy department at the Methodist for quite sometimes as well. I think I also have pretty decent connection with my science professors, so my letters should not be an issue, and my essay got corrected by 3 of them multiple times as well.

I realize I'm not the best, but I figure there's not much else I can do to improve in these regards that I haven't tried to do. So I have come to the conclusion that I failed my interview, badly. At first, their rejection just screams "you suck as a person" to me personally, feeling like a slap in the face really. But now that I've moved on, I feel like I need to let future applicants know so they won't make the mistakes I made.

So, the interview. Well, UT Austin has some of the friendliest and most amazing faculties and staff I have ever encountered. I interviewed at 5 schools, and this was definitely the most positive experience. They perform really well in making you feel relaxed and open. Now, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT fall for this. If you let your guard down, you're vulnerable to, well, yourself. If deep down, you feel like you're perfectly fine and justifiable, then disregard what I said. But personally, I feel like I have lots of flaws in my personality. And trust me when I say this, but they definitely planned their interview process extensively. You have down-times with fun and interactive activities, and you have up-times between your MMI and other exercises. This will really push you to show yourself, and without justifiable arguments for any flaws you display, that will count against you. Now, don't be tensed and uncomfortable throughout either. Stay professional, friendly, and open, just as the awesome person you are! Don't be scared by what I said, and don't be afraid to show yourself. Just make sure you don't fall into hyperactive mode and overdo it, and always justify anything you feel like you need to. Even if time runs out, put in that last sentence to make sure they don't misunderstand you.

Oh and definitely, practice! UT Austin is very courteous in letting you know what will happen on interview day, and what to prepare for. DO NOT IGNORE THIS! I had a spree of 4 acceptances before, and this was my last interview, so I let my guard down and didn't prepare as I should for this. And as you would think, it didn't turn out pretty. They have some very interesting activities that I have not seen before, and thus have not prepared for. Again, it's cliche, but PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! Get your thoughts straight, your reasons convincing, your motives justifiable, and your drive relentless!!!!

Now again, I failed this interview, and have yet to realize what else caused this, so my sayings are completely subjective. Also whatever I stated here, though might be applicable to other schools, is solely my personal opinion and experience. If there's anyone who would like to add on to this, who got accepted and would like to leave a few wise words, or who would like to promote a healthy conversation, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm also settling down at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy, so if my future classmates are here, let's get to know each other!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Woah...3.9 and pcat 99%.....that's insane to not have been accepted to ALL schools imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah honestly with your stats you must have been written off as a psycho or been extremely weird to have been rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an international student? You mentioned you've been in the US for just over two years. Would that have affected your chances?

Wow...I would be offended to not get accepted...lol.

Reactions: 1 users