UT Arlington or UTSA for pre med? Chem major

Katy415

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on which school to go for pre med. I'm a senior in high school. I am also learning just how expensive college is. UTA offered me more in scholarships than UTSA. I want to know which school will offer me more research opportunities and where I will be more prepared for med school. Also, thoughts on UTA's honors college? Honors college in general in relation to getting accepted into med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Location and tuition price are important. My brother attends UTA and likes the school (he is a chem major and their department is top notch), if you have questions you would like me to ask him just send me a PM.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide on which school to go for pre med. I'm a senior in high school. I am also learning just how expensive college is. UTA offered me more in scholarships than UTSA. I want to know which school will offer me more research opportunities and where I will be more prepared for med school. Also, thoughts on UTA's honors college? Honors college in general in relation to getting accepted into med school?

Thanks

I went to both. UTA for BS in Biology and UTSA for MS in Kinesiology.

Both in terms of research are even. UTSA research strengths seem to lay in bioengineering/health-nutrition/kinesiology. UTA has more in terms of zoology/psychology/sociology/engineering. Research for medical school does not have to be "pre-med" related. I did research in the psychology department as well as microbio and health. They were all "pre-medical" related one way or another. These strengths are anecdotal observations as I have not gotten to do research with the other departments.

Location and campus wise UTSA wins hands down. I personally feel its not even close. Schedule a campus visit and you'll know what I'm talking about. UTA will always be home but if I had a choice to live or study between the two, it would be UTSA every time.

Cost of living is roughly the same. UTA due to location may not have very desirable living accommodations. UTSA had much cheaper/better bang for the buck off campus living. Again purely anecdotal. On campus living will be equivalent for both (expensive) so not a deal breaker. If cost is a big factor, go with the school that is cheaper. You will thank yourself when you get to graduate school and realize you didn't have a lick of debt compared to students coming out with 20-30k or more. You will learn to love the school you are at. You get what you put into it. I regret not going to more school related activities and joining clubs and being a part of the UTA atmosphere. I hated the school at first but after 2 years it really grew on me. It was not my first choice but I would not change how things played out given another shot.

For undergraduate studies, I have seen both schools graduate students who apply and successfully get into medical school as well as dental, optometry, vet. You need to remember that this is highly dependent on the drive of the individual. One school may offer a particular strength the other school does not. But the school itself will not "get me into medical school" better than the other one. UTA has more power in research with a cutthroat nursing/engineering program. UTSA is located 2 exits from UTHSC-SA and has a very strong kinesiology/pre-pt program as well as a growing football team (Go Runners!) which will bring in more money in the future. Both are growing at a tremendous rate.

Thanks
UTA is courting you and will likely give you more support, personally as well as financially. Its smaller size will make you feel less lost in a crowd. If you haven't visited the campus, set up osmething to help you decide.

I went to UTA as an older pre-med. I have several young UTA pre-med buddies who are now off at every med school in Texas including UTSW and Baylor. If you put in the work, UTA will get you to med school. A few of them were in honor colleges, but we studied the same thing except they had different professors and more assignments. I don't think you'll have problem finding research. The chem. professors here are nice about it and even I was offered to do some basic lab research. If you want the opportunity, it's out there for you.

UTA is also in a city where you'll have ample places to shadow and hospitals to work and get volunteering hours. It's right between Dallas and Fort Worth with a good highway system. I would choose UTA again if I had to pick. It has a lot of conveniences.