USUHS or CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc52

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having a really difficult time picking between USUHS and Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine(CCOM). I was hoping someone could give some advice and their take on the two schools. Please take into consideration these four factors.
1) military vs civilian life
2) quality of education
3) MD vs DO
4) finance (free tuition w/officer paid vs. $200K in debt after 4 years). 7 yrs. obligation after residency 6 years reserve

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to look over in Allo at the other USUHS thread there. A couple of folks have posted pretty thorough pros/cons. Personally, I think USUHS is one of the best kept medical secrets in the country. I have absolutely no opinion on CCOM, since I have never read anything about it (I didn't apply to any DO programs), but I can give you my perspective.

Military vs. Civilian: I haven't been a civilian in almost 8 years. I have worked in the Army Medical Department since college, and have loved every minute of it. I have consistently been given more responsibilities earlier in my career than civilian counterparts. This was particularly true during my years a clinical laboratory officer. I have grown accustomed to the moves every 3 years (which, ironically, is less than some of my civilian peers have relocated) and I have absolutely no trouble deciding what to wear in the morning:D

Quality of Education: This is the only medical school I've ever attended, so any comparison I might make would be kind of useless. However, our graduates find themselves very well prepared for internship/residency. Our dean quoted the director of the ED at Charity Hospital (New Orleans) as saying that our 3rd year students are the equivalent of a 1st year resident in emergency medicine at his hospital. Granted, that came from our dean, so take that for what it's worth. Also, we tend to do well in the military match.

MD vs. DO: I really don't have an opinion on this. I have worked for both (all primary care), and could never tell a difference. I know some folks on both sides get kind of worked up, but I don't really see the point.

Finance: If you have no desire to make a long-term commitment to the military, then USUHS may not be the place for you. However, if you are like me, i.e., intend to serve my country until I am asked to leave, USUHS is a no-brainer. Where else do you find medical students comfortably supporting families, buying houses, driving brand new cars, etc.? If I had to pile $150k of student loans on top of my wife's current student loan debt, I shudder to think how long it'd take me to dig out of that hole. Granted, I won't have the income potential of, say, a civilian pediatric neurosurgeon, but I will have a lot of benefits, a comfortable salary, job security, no malpractice premiums, etc. Also, as a poor boy from the south, I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference between $130k and $430k. Ask me that in 18 years with kids in college and I might sing a different song...

Hope this helps. Hopefully, some one from CCOM can chime in.

CA

:rolleyes: Don't care for some of the Physicians that I do rotation with at ccom. Don't care for the way I have seen some patients treated poorly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you elaborate?? Is this negligence rampant? Should I ask for my deposit back??

"Don't care for some of the Physicians that I do rotation with at ccom. Don't care for the way I have seen some patients treated poorly."

AnnaIn-

I believe Doc52 is trying to find out about CCOM as an institution and students as a whole. Your statement seems a little vague as well as an opinion based on isolated instances. Do all CCOM physicians you have worked with treat patients poorly and not impress you? If this is not the case, I think Doc52 would benefit more from a balanced opinion! :)
Anyway, I happen to work with four DOs, all who graduated from CCOM. All four are very respected EM physicians at the hospital where I work. I have learned priceless information from these very patient-oriented doctors. These guys are in my top five resons for choosing CCOM as my first chose and played a huge role in my discovery and enthusiasm for Osteopathy!! :) I hope this helps Doc52! See ya!