USUHS / HPSP Questions from Current Army Officer (non-medical)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

47Pilot

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
General:
- Has anyone had their original branch release them before fulfilling their initial commitment to attend medical school? Ideally would like to start school 1-2 years prior to my commitment ending.

USUHS
- Is it difficult to raise family while attending? Is there a population of students who do have families?
- Can clinical experience and clinical LORs requirements be waived for AD service members? Attempting to shadow a physician where I’m stationed but with my current job optempo and being overseas, it will only be a handful of times.
- Does family move with you following the 4 year program at USUHS? Or is the GMO / residency considered TDY?
- What opportunities are there on AD to fulfill the pre-req classes? My bases Ed center wasn’t super helpful. Luckily I only have 2 courses to complete.

- If anyone has gone from AD to med school please share your experience or connect to threads that discuss, I know this is the route I want to take, I’m just trying to learn as much as I can beforehand.

Thank you!!!
Try the Military Medicine forum under Physicians and Residents section. I CAN tell you that your residency is not an unaccompanied tour and there will be students with families.

Reactions: 1 users
Try the Military Medicine forum under Physicians and Residents section. I CAN tell you that your residency is not an unaccompanied tour and there will be students with families.

Ah still new here, I’ll post in that forum, thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
General:
- Has anyone had their original branch release them before fulfilling their initial commitment to attend medical school? Ideally would like to start school 1-2 years prior to my commitment ending.

Are you enlisted or officer? It may notably harder as an officer, but for Navy, your CO can approve you three months earlier than your EAOS. If you want to separate greater than 90 days you need to receive approval from your chain as well as final approval from pers.

All branches have an early out option and its highly dependent on your billet because even though there is an early out option for education, you can be denied simply for, "whose services are essential to their commands’ mission."

USUHS
- Is it difficult to raise family while attending? Is there a population of students who do have families?
40% of USU students are prior military and there will definitely be students with families while you're there. USU also provides an insanely affordable full daycare option for attending students. Taking care of your family while you're there is up to you and your priorities.

- Can clinical experience and clinical LORs requirements be waived for AD service members? Attempting to shadow a physician where I’m stationed but with my current job optempo and being overseas, it will only be a handful of times.
Being military will not waive you from any requirements. You will have prompts in your secondary application to explain why you didn't obtain LORs but that's about it. Even a handful of times shadowing is enough, there is no requirement for total hours shadowing a physician.

- Does family move with you following the 4 year program at USUHS? Or is the GMO / residency considered TDY?
TDY is for assignments away from your permanent duty station typically less than 180 days in length. You will be on orders.
- What opportunities are there on AD to fulfill the pre-req classes? My bases Ed center wasn’t super helpful. Luckily I only have 2 courses to complete.
You should have someone in your command that is responsible for educational resources. Also check MSAR but USU allows for most prereqs to be completed online and are very lenient on where you take your classes especially as military. Check out online courses from a community college because they're cheap or from a uni from your state of residency to get more affordable tuition. If you plan to use TA be aware of the requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.