USUHS app strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joelawyer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong board for this, but I'm a premed applying this cycle to USUHS and also of course many other schools. I do have a strong interest in being in the military (Navy I hope) / the motivation is genuine.

Most of my past experience relates to working with elderly people-- I have very strong/unusual ECs in this area. So my personal statement and some of the experience essays are very geared toward this as motivation to pursue medicine/goals in medicine. I feel like I need to do this to really have a strong and coherent app for the civilian schools, but clearly it will not serve me in terms of backing up my military motivations. The problem is there's only one USUHS and without an acceptance yet I need to play the field.

Do people think this would keep USUHS from interviewing me?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you not have the ability to write a specific personal statement for USUHS? It’s been a while since I went through the process but I thought essays were the sort of thing that was in the secondary applications so it could be somewhat tailored to the school.

That said, no, I doubt it would prevent them from interviewing you if you have a competitive application.

Last edited:
Do you not have the ability to write a specific personal statement for USUHS? It’s been a while since I went through the process but I thought essays were the sort of thing that was in the secondary applications so it could be somewhat tailored to the school.

That said, no I doubt it would prevent them from interviewing you if you have a competitive application.

There is one personal statement that all schools will see, and there are three essays about activities also in the primary app. USUHS will see my secondary for them as well which will obviously be more about military medicine.

Hopefully you're right they won't mind too much

Members don't see this ad :)
As a recently accepted USUHS member of 2026 class, I don't understand your reasoning. The school is about training the next generation of military officer physicians. They want people with the ability to lead and serve as well as becoming high quality physicians. Thus, stats and leadership matter. They want compassionate individuals who will serve as officers so why would helping the elderly be a negative?

As a recently accepted USUHS member of 2026 class, I don't understand your reasoning. The school is about training the next generation of military officer physicians. They want people with the ability to lead and serve as well as becoming high quality physicians. Thus, stats and leadership matter. They want compassionate individuals who will serve as officers so why would helping the elderly be a negative?
The concern is just that my app makes me look kind of like I want to be a gerontologist, which I perceive isn’t what military medicine is looking for. But you may be right; let’s hope that’s the case

The concern is just that my app makes me look kind of like I want to be a gerontologist, which I perceive isn’t what military medicine is looking for. But you may be right; let’s hope that’s the case

What you also don't realize is that MTFs are a large hospital network supporting the retirees (old population)

I dont see why you wouldnt want to put it in words so that you want to "give back by serving those that have served before you"

Most premed's end up in a different specialty than what they thought heading in to medical school. All of your interviewers know this. That being said, don't put all of your elderly in one basket. I would keep your motivation for medicine general while still playing off your strengths of current experience (geriatrics). Sure, you spent a lot of time with older people and that motivated you to love medicine...doesn't mean that you are pigeon holed for geriatrics...nor should you imply this as you approach applications and rotations during medical school. Residents and staff want to see and work with medical students who appreciate all specialties of medicine and who approach each rotation as a learning opportunity and not just a check in a box.

I will respectfully say that the comments from @ujsc and @chlrbwls are noble and optimistic but fail to see the writing on the wall of where active duty military medicine is currently and where it is heading. Based on your comments I think that you understand it well and still want to apply despite the fact that you have an interest in geriatrics. That shows me informed consent to enter in to military practice and will do well during your interviews. Acknowledge that you value service to the geriatric population and would look forward to a military career serving those who have served but also emphasize that you want to go to USUHS because YOU want to serve in whatever capacity will benefit the current state of military medicine. Because honestly if you don't understand and accept that then you really shouldn't be considering USUHS at all. Geriatricians will likely all be GS or contractors by the time you are done with residency... Hopefully I am wrong.