UST and PBL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazy_eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all congratulations to the board passers and topnotchers from UST who took their boards this month. Really impressive for getting the top 2 spots and 7,8 and 9. Also those who placed in the top 20. Proof that Problem Based Learning (PBL), is not as bad as our professors think it is. So, are they going to revert back to PBL? Now that they've abandoned the idea of it because they thought that the PBL students are the inferior ones? (the recent board exam says otherwise). Congratulations to the one person who fought and fought for the PBL students. Now all your efforts aren't wasted at all, Dr. Alora! Hats off! Hats off!

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATS TO THE 1ST BATCH OF PBL GRADUATES OF THE UST FACULTY OF MEDICINE & SURGERY WHO PASSED THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED PHYSICIANS LICENSURE EXAMS!

it just shows that our curriculum does NOT suck! having a passing rate of 84% (for me) is not bad. maybe PBL is effective after all. they just have to revise the curriculum.

how i wished i saw the looks on the faces of those anti-PBL professors after the results came out last thursday night. hehe! they thought PBL graduates wouldn't fair enough in the boards. it proved them wrong. :p

this definitely gave us (batch 2006 - 2nd batch of PBL) hope for the next year's boards. :)

i agree! congrats also to dras. alora, punzalan, bongala, coronel, asprer, and to the other pro-PBL profs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on PBL. Did you enjoy it?

i'd be biased by saying this but i prefer PBL than the traditional curriculum. it gave me time by doing extra-curricular things, aside from studying. i was able to make time for other stuff/people important to me. yes i did enjoy it. :) it just needs improvement.

bleudsky said:
CONGRATS TO THE 1ST BATCH OF PBL GRADUATES OF THE UST FACULTY OF MEDICINE & SURGERY WHO PASSED THE RECENTLY CONCLUDED PHYSICIANS LICENSURE EXAMS!

it just shows that our curriculum does NOT suck! having a passing rate of 84% (for me) is not bad. maybe PBL is effective after all. they just have to revise the curriculum.

how i wished i saw the looks on the faces of those anti-PBL professors after the results came out last thursday night. hehe! they thought PBL graduates wouldn't fair enough in the boards. it proved them wrong. :p

this definitely gave us (batch 2006 - 2nd batch of PBL) hope for the next year's boards. :)

i agree! congrats also to dras. alora, punzalan, bongala, coronel, asprer, and to the other pro-PBL profs.

Pressure..pressure for us :scared: but still....happy for you guys and PBL!! :laugh:

RaaMD said:
Any thoughts on PBL. Did you enjoy it?
It's very independent. I liked it. You get to handle your own time. Make your own schedule about the topics you need to study. Gives you responsibility in learning what you have to. It's the opposite of spoonfeeding. But the downside of it, you spend most of your time wondering what is really important to study.

lazy_eye said:
It's very independent. I liked it. You get to handle your own time. Make your own schedule about the topics you need to study. Gives you responsibility in learning what you have to. It's the opposite of spoonfeeding. But the downside of it, you spend most of your time wondering what is really important to study.

You raise good points.

hmmm..
i guess PBL is a hard sell to filipino students as most of us are used to lectures/handouts and just listening in class, not a lot of us are used to being assertive or outspoken...
but a good thing observed by preceptors is that if a PBL-educated student is asked about a particular topic, most likely that student does not only give one answer but can even trace the patho or give a deeper discussion of the answer...they can really reason well
that's what i've heard so far...

hmmm..
i guess PBL is a hard sell to filipino students as most of us are used to lectures/handouts and just listening in class, not a lot of us are used to being assertive or outspoken...
but a good thing observed by preceptors is that if a PBL-educated student is asked about a particular topic, most likely that student does not only give one answer but can even trace the patho or give a deeper discussion of the answer...they can really reason well

Good point.

hmmm..

it's true! because the bulk of PBL is in the small group discussions. we do the talking always and that's where our grades are based. not just senseless talking but in relevance/relation to the topic. sometimes there could be arguments but those are educated ones. of course, our profs guide us during our discussions &/or answer our questions if there are some details in the textbooks which are unclear/conflicting. sometimes, we read 3-4 books regarding 1 particularly problem (if the topic is so comprehensive, it could be as high as 5 books).

i wonder if they will ever revert back to the PBL curriculum..

hehe!