USMLE Step 3 as a DO? Does the score matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdkLol2049

Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I am a DO planning ahead on when to take Step 3/Level 3. I am interested in a cardiology fellowship and was wondering if there is any benefit or reason to take USMLE Step 3 instead of COMLEX Level 3? You can get licensed as a DO through USMLE in all but I believe 5 states.

Additionally, whether I end up taking Step or Level, does the score matter at all for fellowships? Even in the slightest bit? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I am a DO planning ahead on when to take Step 3/Level 3. I am interested in a cardiology fellowship and was wondering if there is any benefit or reason to take USMLE Step 3 instead of COMLEX Level 3? You can get licensed as a DO through USMLE in all but I believe 5 states.

Additionally, whether I end up taking Step or Level, does the score matter at all for fellowships? Even in the slightest bit? Thank you!
Would take both COMLEX and USMLE Step 3 if your goal is cardiology fellowship. Cardiology is one of the most competitive IM fellowships to get into, and as a DO it will be harder than as a USMD with similar credentials. While USMLE scores are not as important for fellowship as they were for residency, programs still use them to screen, and will roughly weigh all three Steps equally. Most programs can't interpret COMLEX scores since it's not as widely used as USMLE so even if if you can get away with not taking UMSLE step 3 for physician licensing purposes, I would take it for the purpose of fellowship application.

The last Fellowship PD survey (which is getting quite old now) listed Step 3 so low on the list of things they consider it seems unlikely to be of much benefit.

We have had DO residents in the past match to GI and Cards with cOMLEX only to good programs. So I think it's all about what you can do to make your application competitive -- which is a good residency program, research, and connections in the field.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The last Fellowship PD survey (which is getting quite old now) listed Step 3 so low on the list of things they consider it seems unlikely to be of much benefit.

We have had DO residents in the past match to GI and Cards with cOMLEX only to good programs. So I think it's all about what you can do to make your application competitive -- which is a good residency program, research, and connections in the field.
Okay thats good to hear! I took Steps 1 and 2, I just feel like taking both again for 3 would be a lot. I appreciate your input!

Would not recommend Step 3. Focus more on being the best resident you can be, networking, researching, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
DO and PCCM fellow. Would not recommend step 3 at all but try your best to pass comlex3 on the first try. Taking an extra unnecessary board exam adds so little that it probably isn't worth it. Also from what I hear, step1/2 >>>>>>step3, so definitely weighed less in the grand scheme of things. Focus on networking, research and pubs instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been told repeatedly that COMLEX Level 3 is fine. Having taken Step 1 is much more important because -- unbelievably I might add -- programs still use USMLE Step 1 as a filter...

Our GI PD just want a pass on whichever you choose to take

I know we’re cautious being DOs but I don’t think this is something we should panic about

Reactions: 1 users
No point ever to taking USMLE step 3 as a DO. Take the COMLEX and pass it.