Taking USMLE Step 3 as a DO for Cardiology fellowship? Does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

youngvisionary

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has been addressed previously, though I have scoured through the net and even asked the PD of my Cardiology fellowship program this question:

I am a PGY-1 DO halfway through my intern year who will be applying for Cardiology fellowship when my time comes. I've taken both USMLE Step 1 & USMLE Step 2 CK, in addition to COMLEX 1/2, as this was a standard across my class to remain competitive for residency. However, now comes another dilemma of taking USMLE Step 3 in addition to COMLEX Level 3.

From my understanding, as DOs we were not even allowed to sit for USMLE Step 3 until as of recent, due to the fact that initially you had to have completed Step 2 CS in order to sit though CS has been postponed/discontinued since COVID -- allowing us to now sit for Step 3 if we desire.

My question is: As a DO, does the risk/stress/time constraints of having to incorporate both USMLE and COMLEX 3 outweigh the potential benefit in your competitiveness/opportunity to match in a competitive IM fellowship? An important caveat I'd mention is that I plan to apply straight out of residency, thus my applicant pool will have both scored numeric STEP 1 & STEP 2 scores, while applicants after my year will be applying with a P/F STEP 1 score which may increase the weight of STEP 3 scores in the overall selection of applicants for interviews.

I have heard mixed things, both from fellow residents and even leadership faculty. Some say the gain is minimal and to just focus on COMLEX 3 and research/connections, while others say that if you have the time and money to go forth and take both, to go ahead and do so to cover my bases.

Any help with this dilemma would be greatly appreciated as I plan to sit for COMLEX and, potentially, STEP 3 in August of 2023.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. There is no reason to take the USMLE Step 3 as a DO. I’m a DO and I took steps 1/2 only. Was complemented on my Comlex Level 3 score when I did fellowship interviews. I have never heard of fellowships caring about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has been addressed previously, though I have scoured through the net and even asked the PD of my Cardiology fellowship program this question:

I am a PGY-1 DO halfway through my intern year who will be applying for Cardiology fellowship when my time comes. I've taken both USMLE Step 1 & USMLE Step 2 CK, in addition to COMLEX 1/2, as this was a standard across my class to remain competitive for residency. However, now comes another dilemma of taking USMLE Step 3 in addition to COMLEX Level 3.

From my understanding, as DOs we were not even allowed to sit for USMLE Step 3 until as of recent, due to the fact that initially you had to have completed Step 2 CS in order to sit though CS has been postponed/discontinued since COVID -- allowing us to now sit for Step 3 if we desire.

My question is: As a DO, does the risk/stress/time constraints of having to incorporate both USMLE and COMLEX 3 outweigh the potential benefit in your competitiveness/opportunity to match in a competitive IM fellowship? An important caveat I'd mention is that I plan to apply straight out of residency, thus my applicant pool will have both scored numeric STEP 1 & STEP 2 scores, while applicants after my year will be applying with a P/F STEP 1 score which may increase the weight of STEP 3 scores in the overall selection of applicants for interviews.

I have heard mixed things, both from fellow residents and even leadership faculty. Some say the gain is minimal and to just focus on COMLEX 3 and research/connections, while others say that if you have the time and money to go forth and take both, to go ahead and do so to cover my bases.

Any help with this dilemma would be greatly appreciated as I plan to sit for COMLEX and, potentially, STEP 3 in August of 2023.

If Step 3 is not any administrative requirement (I know this is an administrative requirement for some visa staff, but not sure about allopathic fellowship programs for DO), then no one in fellowship program really cares at all...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 3 is needed to get your medical license. you just have to pass. there is literally no benefit to scoring super high on step 3 like step 1 or 2CK outside of wanting to prove how good you are at memorization of First Aid and Step up to Step 3. No one practices that degree of broad spectrum medicine in real life. Yes an Internal Medicine resident must recall the difference between placenta previa and accreta or something...

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your insight and comments. I wanted to bump this thread to see if any others had further thoughts to help sort this dilemma.

Thank you all for your insight and comments. I wanted to bump this thread to see if any others had further thoughts to help sort this dilemma.
What dilemma? You need to complete COMLEX to get licensed. Nobody will care about a USMLE 3 score. If you have the time and extra money burning a hole in your pocket, and you KNOW you'll kill it, then I guess take USMLE 3.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.