USMLE IIb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a rumor that there will be a USMLE IIb to test clinical skills starting in 2004. Is this true? Does the COMLEX do the same or are there plans to add a part to this as well?

Just Curious!

Members don't see this ad.

irish79,

You have heard correct. Both USMLE and COMLEX plan on implementing a PE (Physical Exam) portion to their respective step II in 2004. Thus far, it has been met with strong opposition from the students (we at KCOM passed an official statement saying we are adamantly against it) as well as current physicians. What does this mean to the NBOME?? Not a whole lot. From what I understand, most student organizations' stance is against implementing such a practice so numbers MAY have some say. A bigger sway would be getting the state Osteopathic Societies against it ( I know MO's is against it) or the AOA or some other large number national organization that is more than just students.

Why are they doing this? There is the perception that not all medical students are getting the training in physical exam skills necessary to be competent physicians (read prevent frivolous law-suits). NBOME's purpose in implementing this is to ensure that all DOs will have the same level of a skill across the board. There is no research (that they are willing to share with the public) regarding the efficacy of implementing a standardized physical exam to improve exam skills (again read prevent law-suits). Basically what they are proposing is a study funded by students (to the tune of ~$1,000 plus travel expenses).

This is a sore spot for me and many of my classmates and I could go on for some time more, but I think this answers your original question. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Ben

dctrben,

Thanks for the info. It seems that ALL students (allo and osteo) are against it--or at least the majority. Besides the extra test, nobody wants to pay the extra $1000 plus having to travel to the testing places (of which I heard there would be few). Fortunately, I think AZCOM may be one of the test centers for the COMLEX IIb, so that would be ONE less expense.

I will have to keep my ears open for any other groups that don't support it. Maybe I can help too.

Nonetheless, thanks for the reply.

Matt