Usmle august 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggscholar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone take the new step 2 yesterday? Quite extensive 9 sections.

Members don't see this ad.

"New" step 2? What? I'm taking mine this Wednesday...

EDIT: Googled it. Sounds like a minor change from how they were wording it (albeit still annoying that I have to be part of the "experimental" first group). What was different about it for you?

Last edited:
Did anyone take the new step 2 yesterday? Quite extensive 9 sections.

Do you mean more extensive than what other test takers had reported before August?

"New" step 2? What? I'm taking mine this Wednesday...

EDIT: Googled it. Sounds like a minor change from how they were wording it (albeit still annoying that I have to be part of the "experimental" first group). What was different about it for you?
"wording it"??

I thought there was just a change in the question pool and the number of questions in each block.

Did I miss something? :(

Blocks now have a different number of questions in each block, ranging from 41 to 45 questions per block. Your test can't have more than 355 questions. Also score reporting will now take a lot longer. August test takers will begin receiving their scores on September 26. I think they are taking more time to give results because they need to run different score analysis on this new test. Also the 41 question block was more difficult than the 43+ blocks, most of the people that took the test with me noticed that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blocks now have a different number of questions in each block, ranging from 41 to 45 questions per block. Your test can't have more than 355 questions. Also score reporting will now take a lot longer. August test takers will begin receiving their scores on September 26. I think they are taking more time to give results because they need to run different score analysis on this new test. Also the 41 question block was more difficult than the 43+ blocks, most of the people that took the test with me noticed that.

I took the exam 08/02 all of my sections had 44-45q, except for the last section and definetly most difficult which had only 36q. I initially thought i may have escaped the new exam by taking it early august but i guess now i'll be waiting till 9/26 for scores :thumbdown:

except for the last section and definetly most difficult which had only 36q.

I also took 2CK recently and had varied length blocks. None of them was any less than 40 questions though.

My shortest block was definitely the hardest for me also. Wonder what that's all about.

9/26... that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean that our scores will not automatically be included as part of our application?

Does this mean that our scores will not automatically be included as part of our application?

Unless we get them early, yep, that's what it means. Can't be included if they're not released by the time programs do the first download mid-September.

I took mine on 08/01...

I had 5 blocks with 44 Qs and 3 with 42 Qs (these blocks had the ad drugs/abstract Qs).

I don't know if that's a "New" Step 2CK or an "Old" one. Did the old one only had 44 Qs blocks under any circumstance? I have no idea.

It would suck to get my score that late.

you should call or e-mail to complain. some1 at my school did and it sounds like they're flexible.

I take it you're not a premed like your status says?

I'd be curious as to what they did to be "flexible" for someone who took a Step during a delay. I was in the delayed Step 1 group last year, and we were pretty much resigned to waiting.

Took mine on 7/24. Had blocks with 42 or 44 questions. But I remember reading somewhere that not all test sites will migrate over to the new test format in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 9 sections in total...It seems like each section prior to last had 45 questions and my last block had 32 questions.... ie.. Extensive

7/20. Each section was 44 or 42(when there was a drug ad or abstract). I think this was part of the previous change when they added ads/abstracts. Im hoping to get my score this wed. The more odd q numbers seems to be the new format.

I had 9 sections in total...It seems like each section prior to last had 45 questions and my last block had 32 questions.... ie.. Extensive

Hey that's really extensive.. and what about time limits? each long and short block ..60 min or it varies too? so total 9 sections means total 355 quest????

Unless we get them early, yep, that's what it means. Can't be included if they're not released by the time programs do the first download mid-September.

ERAS will automatically fwd scores to programs as they come in if you choose to tick that box in myERAS.

Hey that's really extensive.. and what about time limits? each long and short block ..60 min or it varies too? so total 9 sections means total 355 quest????

I think the OP had 392 questions (8*45 + 32) :eek:

Is that possible? :confused:

i think the OP meant 9 sections including the intro section where you could skip and add to the break time.

That would explain it then. So 347 questions.

However, I think I read in the USMLE newsletter that in this new format the maximum number of questions would not exceed 355. If that is true, then what are these people trying to achieve by giving tests with different number of questions to different people? :confused:

so its 8 blocks of questions of varying numbers..total of 355 ?? correct me if i am wrong... and what about drug add/abstract questions... my exam is in august too, have to deal these changes :( scared !!!

Has anyone taken this thing and NOT felt like the shortest block was the most difficult?

Not sure if my last block of 36 was the hardest block due to content or because i had all that extra time to go back and second guess myself :confused:

Took the beast today. I did not have "9' sections but had 9 hours. 8 sections of questions with one hour maximum time limit. I had sections with 40-47 questions which is bizarre considering they said the maximum would be 45. Didn't know about the changes until like 15 minutes ago and now I'm kicking myself for pushing the test back. I felt like the questions were really long too but that might just be me.

Took the beast today. I did not have "9' sections but had 9 hours. 8 sections of questions with one hour maximum time limit. I had sections with 40-47 questions which is bizarre considering they said the maximum would be 45. Didn't know about the changes until like 15 minutes ago and now I'm kicking myself for pushing the test back. I felt like the questions were really long too but that might just be me.

47Qs in 1 block :(

Do you guys think that it's fair that NBME doesn't publish the scoring algorithms and how different version of the tests are standardized so that scores become comparable?

I mean for all we know, the different scores (in different revised versions of the test) might not be comparable at all. :(

I don't get it. How can you compare scores of 2 tests - where one has 44Q/42Q blocks & the other has variable number of questions in different blocks. I am sure this new format completely messes up your sense of timing :(

Does anyone know if the 2 month grading delay is the new standard, or is this just for the first few people who take it? Why the hell would they start a 2 month delay in August RIGHT BEFORE people match... obviously people who are taking it in August were hoping to have their scores ready for the 2013 match.

Has the USMLE always been like this? I feel like there is some new change every couple of months now... why don't they stop ****ing with it and let us just keep getting compared to everyone on a even level. I'm sick of all this experimental crap... Sorry USMLE, my future shouldn't be experimental.

47Qs in 1 block :(

Do you guys think that it's fair that NBME doesn't publish the scoring algorithms and how different version of the tests are standardized so that scores become comparable?

I mean for all we know, the different scores (in different revised versions of the test) might not be comparable at all. :(

I don't get it. How can you compare scores of 2 tests - where one has 44Q/42Q blocks & the other has variable number of questions in different blocks. I am sure this new format completely messes up your sense of timing :(

it's definately not fair... they mentioned max number wil be 45 :eek: What's this experimentation is all about? Will they reward extra points, NO !!! obviosly! but this 9 block and 8 block thing is a big variation!!!

Took mine 8/2: I think mine were 43, 41,44,44,41, 42, 44, 43. I guess I had a 'difficult' test. It sure seemed that way lol

it's definately not fair... they mentioned max number wil be 45 :eek: What's this experimentation is all about? Will they reward extra points, NO !!! obviosly! but this 9 block and 8 block thing is a big variation!!!

The 9th block is just the tutorial, which I wouldn't really even consider a block since many people (I think!) do it on their own before test day and then skip through it to add to break time.

Can anyone please comment on the difficulty of the new format on the exam? Did you find the exam extremely hard or doable? How did it compare to UWSA, NBME 4 or others ...I hope someone answers...thanks.

I took both the UWSA and NBME and thought the actual exam was much harder. That is just my personal opinion and it could have had more to do with the pressure of taking an exam that would be graded vs a practice exam but I thought the question provided less information to guide you towards the right diagnosis or next step as compared to UWorld or either of the self-assessments.

I spoke with a couple people today who took the exam in late June / sometime in July. The July person said he had staggered length blocks, and the June guy said he thought he did but couldn't remember.

If that's the case, maybe we weren't part of the delayed group? I really have no idea and wouldn't know how to tell.

I took both the UWSA and NBME and thought the actual exam was much harder. That is just my personal opinion and it could have had more to do with the pressure of taking an exam that would be graded vs a practice exam but I thought the question provided less information to guide you towards the right diagnosis or next step as compared to UWorld or either of the self-assessments.

I would definitely agree with you. The test felt nothing like UWorld or UWSA. Very vague and poorly written questions. No specific data or words to help you narrow down 2 answer choices. I got a 260+ on Step I and I'm pretty scared that I will score much lower on Step 2. Definitely did NOT feel comfortable with these new questions or blocks. Question stems were ridiculously long, at least 2x the length of UWorld stems and much less obvious about what they wanted you to figure out. Very poorly written... I hope the algorithms they will be running take this into consideration.

I completely agree, I thought it was more vague than Step 1. Much more difficult to narrow down the selections. On world, I could always narrow it down to 2, if not 3. I just hope my score did not drop from Step 1.

Bloody hell, completely the wrong time to read this thread when exams less than a week away.

Hail marry it shall be.

Its better to know in advance rather than getting surprised (shocked) at the moment.
Don't worry,you will do great... I keep saying to myself too..my exam in a week too :xf:

How many % of the questions are "what is the next best step" in the new exam? In old version it is around 20%. Is it still the same?

How many % of the questions are "what is the next best step" in the new exam? In old version it is around 20%. Is it still the same?
It felt like so many of the questions were "what is the best next step"!!!

I really hate those because alot of them had 2 that were both very reasonable as next choice. And I'm not talking ABC kind of issues that were obvious (eg/decreased BP and abd pain, what do you do next).

Really frustrating to me as I went in feeling like I really knew my stuff and tend to do well on anything with clinical medicine. I walked out feeling I didn't do as well as I had hoped )o:

By the way, the question blocks ran 41-45. I didn't really think this was a big deal and I had enough time to answer all the questions

Climbed the mountain today. My test consisted of 8 blocks, 1 hr each: 4 blocks of 45q, 2 blocks of 44q, 1 block of 43q, and 1 block of 41q. I had two drug ads with 2 questions each - one in a 44q block and the other in 41q. I thought both of them were easier than the ad questions in UW. I also had just one abstract with 3 questions in a block of 43q, those questions were tougher. Also I had two random questions about medical errors - didn't see anything like that in UW, UWSA, or NBME 4.

Overall, the test difficulty is on par with UW/UWSA, don't get scared reading this thread.

Climbed the mountain today. My test consisted of 8 blocks, 1 hr each: 4 blocks of 45q, 2 blocks of 44q, 1 block of 43q, and 1 block of 41q. I had two drug ads with 2 questions each - one in a 44q block and the other in 41q. I thought both of them were easier than the ad questions in UW. I also had just one abstract with 3 questions in a block of 43q, those questions were tougher. Also I had two random questions about medical errors - didn't see anything like that in UW, UWSA, or NBME 4.

Overall, the test difficulty is on par with UW/UWSA, don't get scared reading this thread.

In which section of U world does it have drug add qs :confused: As i am about to finish my medicine section with biostats left , so are they in biostats ?? surgery ?? peds ???

how where biostat and pysch qs on your exam ???

Fairly certain they are in biostat. Biostat was fairly represented, maybe 1-2 per block and then the ads and abstracts. Maybe 2-3 psych per block, very similar to UW difficulty nothing really obscure.