Using Anki Well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicken-n-beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a Medical Masters program but I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed. I did well in my first set of exams but I'm becoming increasingly anxious about the second set of exam. It's been suggested that I just focours on lecture slikde and I've been trying to make Anki cards for the lectures. One problem has present itself: it seems to take an inordinately long time for me to make cards because I don't know what to focus on when creating. Does anyone have advice for becoming more efficient studying this way? I really need to do well in this program because I literally have nothing else and it's driving me up the wall.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in a Medical Masters program but I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed. I did well in my first set of exams but I'm becoming increasingly anxious about the second set of exam. It's been suggested that I just focours on lecture slikde and I've been trying to make Anki cards for the lectures. One problem has present itself: it seems to take an inordinately long time for me to make cards because I don't know what to focus on when creating. Does anyone have advice for becoming more efficient studying this way? I really need to do well in this program because I literally have nothing else and it's driving me up the wall.
Personally, if there aren't pre-made cards I could use that follow the lecture material I don't use Anki. Making cards is time consuming and especially during my masters I didn't have the time (work, ecs, etc).

Is your masters done alongside a med program / are they similar courses?

Personally, if there aren't pre-made cards I could use that follow the lecture material I don't use Anki. Making cards is time consuming and especially during my masters I didn't have the time (work, ecs, etc).

Is your masters done alongside a med program / are they similar courses?

I'm just focused on my Masters (i.e. no work or ecs). I believe the courses are similar to preclinical courses. I've never had to lean this volume of material before and I just don't know how to take everything in outside of Anki. I've been told to just focus on lectures and not read the books assigned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just focused on my Masters (i.e. no work or ecs). I believe the courses are similar to preclinical courses. I've never had to lean this volume of material before and I just don't know how to take everything in outside of Anki. I've been told to just focus on lectures and not read the books assigned.
Everyone is different but I am certainly on the boat of don't read the books and focus on the lectures. Watch the lectures, focus on just getting in the breadth of it - don't take notes just actively listen. Then after doing an entire pass of all the lectures for that block try to read through them, and spend more time on this pass actually synthesizing the info, actively reading and thinking of ways the material could be presented. If you stumble upon some minutiae that seems irrelevant or untestable don't spend time focusing on it and just keep moving. Then do practice questions.

If you have time you can do a 3rd pass, perhaps focus on the smaller details if you got the big stuff down, but be time efficient. If you at least get the big picture stuff down cold you can do well.

After you go through a lecture, try to do the practice problems associated with it. Identify the questions you struggled with, go back to the lecture content and create cards on that subject. Making cards is time consuming, but the effort put into learning it and creating the card makes the learning more effective and you will retain it better. The key is to not make cards on everything -- focus on what you need to understand and avoid minutiae. Also: many cards with single facts >>> 1 card with many facts.

Convert relevant facts on the slides to cards. Research facts you don't understand during the process. Then memorize the cards using the algorithm. It takes a very long time, but you will master the material. Doing this in undergrad, I was able to recite full textbook passages and research article snippets on my short answer tests. I went overboard on the cards, though.

Reactions: 1 user