USF or UCSF for nursing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNSJ0917

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is a better school and why for my masters in nursing...
USF (University of San Francisco) is a private
UCSF (UC San Francisco) is a "UC" and provides better education?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is USF or UCSF better to get my masters in nursing science.
USF - private school
UCSF - is a great "UC"
whats the difference which one is better?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you're from the Bay Area as well, right?

Both good school, obviously. I believe the main difference is in the MSN focus' that each offer.

I don't think USF has any clinically focused MSN(maybe FNP, but that's it) I know they have education and I think also administration.

UCSF--besides being a wonderful healthcare teaching facility---has advanced practice programs galore. NP, CNS, dual degree, MSN/MPH/MBA...whatever you want.
Excellent 'rep.' Consistently ranked tops in US News if you go for that kind of thing. Also, loads cheaper if you are indeed a CA resident.

In any case, I'd probably apply to both just because everything's so impacted anyway.

good luck....

BTW---nice HS GPA! You must be a smart cookie. Read the blog, no reason you can't incorporate those med school pre-rec classes at the same time you're earning the BSN. It's actually a great way to keep your options when you're unsure as your blog suggests.

If you're interested in studying nursing in San Francisco you should apply to ALL the schools up here, USF, UCSF, SFSU (and depending on where you're at) CCSF. The nursing programs are CRAZY impacted up here, making them really really competitive.

Also, there are a few others in the bay area...

Thinking you'll get a better response in clinicians than pre-allo.

moved.
Probably get a better response on allnurses.com than clinicians. Try California or the nursing student forum.

David Carpenter, PA-C

USF Nursing program is the best in the country (unless that has changed recently). But of course, UCSF has more prestige. Let me give you an analogy: USC Viterbi Engineering is one of the top 10 engineering schools in the country and Johns Hopkins Whiting SOE is only at number 20... it is NOT the best, but pretty good. In general, people know that Johns Hopkins overall is a much better school than USC. As you can see, graduating from Johns Hopkins has more prestige.

But do apply to ALL nursing schools; it is very competitive just because there are not too many spots.. this is especially true for state-funded programs.

Which one is a better school and why for my masters in nursing...
USF (University of San Francisco) is a private
UCSF (UC San Francisco) is a "UC" and provides better education?

thanks!
USF is a very good school. I did my prerequisites for pharmacology there then went to UF to do the other degrees. I do not know much about UCSF but based on what I was told, most of the instructors in the nursing college there are not student-friendly. As the others stated, check out allnurses.com. You will get more information there.

USF is a very good school. I did my prerequisites for pharmacology there then went to UF to do the other degrees. I do not know much about UCSF but based on what I was told, most of the instructors in the nursing college there are not student-friendly. As the others stated, check out allnurses.com. You will get more information there.
UCSF is the better school in my opinion. Just ask your friend Jessy. She was a student there a couple years ago.