USF or Nova DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pologirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from USF yesterday saying that I was accepted, as well as a letter from UNF that I'm on the waitlist. UNF was my number one next to UCF so I'm pretty bummed. I've also been accepted at UM and Nova and waiting to hear from the other Florida schools still. But anyways, I'm struggling with choosing between USF and Nova. I don't know much about USF (such as how their cadaver program works, how the area is, how students like it there, etc). If anyone could give me some info that could help me I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got a call from USF yesterday saying that I was accepted, as well as a letter from UNF that I'm on the waitlist. UNF was my number one so I'm pretty bummed. I've also been accepted at UM and Nova and waiting to hear from the other Florida schools still. But anyways, I'm struggling with choosing between USF and Nova. I don't know much about USF (such as how their cadaver program works, how the area is, how students like it there, etc). If anyone could give me some info that could help me I would really appreciate it! :confused:

I too was placed on the waitlist at UNF :( .... hoping I hear good news from UCF soon though! I would look at the tuition rates between USF and Nova, both are really great programs!

I got accepted at UCF! Definitely makes the choice a lot easier haha :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted at UCF! Definitely makes the choice a lot easier haha :love:

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats with us future Florida applicants? Would really appreciate it! :)

Sure!
Major: Health Sciences Pre-Clinical at UCF.
GPA: 3.8, GRE: 155V, 155Q, 4.0W.
Had 150 hours volunteering, mostly outpatient of regular adult, orthopedics and pediatrics, but also some inpatient geriatrics. Involved in quite a few extra curricular activities at school.

I was waitlisted at USF and UNF as well but I was accepted to UCF! so we may be classmates at UCF

I graduated from USF not to long ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my alma mater. as with anything there are always pluses and minuses. Teachers are AWESOME!!! some buildings are older than others but they are working on it slowly parking can be really tough between 9-5 depending on where you need to park Students are uberly friendly and always happy to help. library can be a bit tight and some desks are full of graffitti but again they are working on it. admin/staff/faculty ALWAYS willing to help students. part of the surrounding area is nice and part of the surrounding area is a lil ghetto......if i had to do it all over again i would go to usf in a heart beat

Reactions: 1 user
I just got a call from USF yesterday saying that I was accepted, as well as a letter from UNF that I'm on the waitlist. UNF was my number one next to UCF so I'm pretty bummed. I've also been accepted at UM and Nova and waiting to hear from the other Florida schools still. But anyways, I'm struggling with choosing between USF and Nova. I don't know much about USF (such as how their cadaver program works, how the area is, how students like it there, etc). If anyone could give me some info that could help me I would really appreciate it!
I'm born and raised in Tampa and currently live in south Florida. USF is a huge campus and lies between to main streets Fowler and Fletcher. The school is located in the "hood" there are section 8 housing projects within 0.5 miles of school.....the main streets have pawn shop after gun shop after liquor store.....traffic out in that area is ridiculous. South Tampa however is nice and you can find lost of nightlife...oh and don't be fooled if they tell you the beach is close the beach is at least 45 min from USF. Just telling you facts!! Nova is located in Davie Florida and is a nice school very small and the Davie area is very safe and quiet....Miami/ ft laud are not far away. UM is located in coral gables traffic is horrendous. Miami is like this, one second your passing million dollar homes the next is projects. Um campus is small and beautiful and the gym is amazing

I'm born and raised in Tampa and currently live in south Florida. USF is a huge campus and lies between to main streets Fowler and Fletcher. The school is located in the "hood" there are section 8 housing projects within 0.5 miles of school.....the main streets have pawn shop after gun shop after liquor store.....traffic out in that area is ridiculous. South Tampa however is nice and you can find lost of nightlife...oh and don't be fooled if they tell you the beach is close the beach is at least 45 min from USF. Just telling you facts!!

I did my undergrad work just a couple miles from USF, and I don't know that I would call USF's area "hood." There are some sketchy areas near USF (don't wander too close to Nebraska Ave), but I generally feel pretty safe in the area (with the exception, of course, of Fletcher Wal Mart late at night –*but what Wal Mart isn't sketchy late at night?). I love Tampa, and I would consider USF reasonably close to the beach –*the 45 minute drive is not bad at all. You're also not far from the St. Petersburg area (~45 minutes away), which I love. Lots of stuff to do in the Bay area.

From speaking with experienced Tampa area PTs, the USF program produces good PTs. You take most of the med school classes with the med students during your first year. This is good and bad; you learn a lot, but you may also have to learn many things that are irrelevant to PT. The faculty seems nice, but I understand that their faculty has a high turnover rate, which might be negative. It sounds like USF's program is not without its difficulties (which program is?), but they do a good job producing good PTs. (Plus the green and gold PT polos are pretty sharp!)

To the original poster, I'm glad you got into your first choice! I hope others find your thread useful in making their decision.

USF DPT

If you go here please take ORGANIC CHEMISTRY AND BIOCHEMISTY (even though they “don’t want it”). Please take my word for it.

You are in Medical school and DPT school.

I hope I helped someone today. Thank you.

Last edited: