~USF CoM c/o 2013~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yay:D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...this could be me. We'll see!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey WorldsAway, do you have any words of wisdom about USF? :)

Just got my official acceptance. I was in the UCF/USF BS/MD program, and I just got the official letter today.

I'm dead set on going to this school.

i had a really unpleasant interview experience at USF, much to my disappointment. But, i got accepted, and i want to be more excited about it. During the interview day, I met like one student, our food was late for every meal so the whole day was rushed, i got left behind for a tour, and everything just felt haphazard. I want to like, revisit, but im not sure how feasible that is. So anyways, why are you so dead set on USF? i really want a better impression of the school!! thanks

Wow, that's too bad you didn't have a good interview day :( It was actually among my favorite interview days...I thought they had a good lunch and the students were very friendly.

Maybe a second look will help you form a better judgment :confused:.

Good luck either way and congrats on your acceptance :D!

@newfoundgurly71

lol we must had the same interview date

Last edited:
Go Bulls!

Last edited:
I just got accepted a few days ago, and I completely fell in love with the school on my interview day. : )
I lived at home while studying at UM for undergrad, so moving to Tampa would be a big change ...

Is this the forum for students that have been accepted for the class of 2013? I couldn't find one for USF.

i had a really unpleasant interview experience at USF, much to my disappointment. But, i got accepted, and i want to be more excited about it. During the interview day, I met like one student, our food was late for every meal so the whole day was rushed, i got left behind for a tour, and everything just felt haphazard. I want to like, revisit, but im not sure how feasible that is. So anyways, why are you so dead set on USF? i really want a better impression of the school!! thanks

I had just heard good things about the atmosphere. I got a lot of my impressions from the c/o 2012 thread too.

Wow, you're from Winter Springs. I've lived (and continue to live in Winter Springs) all my life.

Tampa will be an interesting change of scenery for me.

ha, yay winter springs! I love it there so much, and yea, tampa would definitely be different, but its really nice there too.

What made you guys love USF?

I decided to email Leila regarding my day and my disappointment, and she set me up with a fourth year to shadow over christmas break, and I am so thankful for that! :)

Wow that's really nice of them to do. Hopefully you're experience this time will show you how great USF is :) I actually wouldn't minding seeing the campus and everything again. I wonder if they'll have a second look opportunity sometime? I heard that they did that last year...

Members don't see this ad :)
ha, yay winter springs! I love it there so much, and yea, tampa would definitely be different, but its really nice there too.

What made you guys love USF?

I decided to email Leila regarding my day and my disappointment, and she set me up with a fourth year to shadow over christmas break, and I am so thankful for that! :)

Cool! I would like to get in on that also. Do you think they'd let anyone who's matriculating do it, or do you have to have a reason (i.e. bad interview experience)?

It'd be nice to spend a few days in Tampa and shadow in order to get a glimpse of what I'm signing up for.

I am pretty sure they are letting me do this because of my interview experience, mainly because I did not meet more than one or two students and even with that, I had no time to ask them questions. But she did tell me that they are arranging the details for the second look in the spring, so that's exciting! She said they will let us know about it asap. :)

Hey All!

Just got the call yesterday that I'm an official USF COM c/o 2013!:soexcited: I am definitely going here, so I look forward to seeing you all in the fall! Tampa is great, there is so much to do, and the beaches are just over the bridge in Saint Pete! I grew up around here, so if anyone needs help finding things, I'll do my best! :D

Go Bulls!

Hey All!

Just got the call yesterday that I'm an official USF COM c/o 2013!:soexcited: I am definitely going here, so I look forward to seeing you all in the fall! Tampa is great, there is so much to do, and the beaches are just over the bridge in Saint Pete! I grew up around here, so if anyone needs help finding things, I'll do my best! :D

Go Bulls!

Congrats & welcome. I was accepted a couple months ago, but just made my final decision a couple days ago. Now I'm super excited. I thank God for this opportunity! Can you say if cost of living there is average compared to the rest of the country, or a bit more?

Also- does anyone know how to get a USF COM C/O 2013 group started on Facebook?

Congrats & welcome. I was accepted a couple months ago, but just made my final decision a couple days ago. Now I'm super excited. I thank God for this opportunity! Can you say if cost of living there is average compared to the rest of the country, or a bit more?

Also- does anyone know how to get a USF COM C/O 2013 group started on Facebook?

Thanks for the welcome and that's awesome that we're going to be classmates! :laugh:

Cost of living in tampa is pretty average, but there are some more expensive places in the SOHO area, so it really depends on what you are looking for. I would say for the most part, however, that tampa is not bad, especially compared to other big cities like DC, NYC, or Chicago.

There is already a USF COM c/o 2013 group on facebook :D and I'm there already, so just go to groups and search "USF c/o 2013". Just be sure to click on the COM group and not the undergrad group...there is a USF school med seal by the group name. Congrats and can't wait to meet ya!

congrats!!!! i'm so glad that you are so excited! i still am wondering if anyone can weigh in on a usf vs. uf comparison, what are your reasons for def wanting to go to USF?

congrats!!!! i'm so glad that you are so excited! i still am wondering if anyone can weigh in on a usf vs. uf comparison, what are your reasons for def wanting to go to USF?

For me, USF offered the best facilities, faculty, and location. I'm a native Saint Petersburg girl, so being close to my family, boyfriend and support network is nice. Not to mention, my step-dad is a fellow at USF, so working closley with him is awesome! I also love the Tampa area because it is not too expensive, and we have the perfect balance between Ybor and Channelside to party along with the Performing Arts Center, the beach, and great restaurants for our more sophisticated side. We are not just a college town, but have the resources to support students as they grow.

The facilities are amazing. We have Tampa General, trauma level 1 center with all new facilities and an ER to die for. Moffitt Cancer Center, the best in the southeast, and one of the top cancer centers in the US. The tampa and saint petersburg veteran's hospitals that deal both with older veterans and those returning from the current war. The new Morsani center and great med student learning facilities like CACKLE (sp?) and the standard patients that you work with. And All Children's Hospital which is where our peds rounds are and where I've volunteered frequently is fantastic, especially in the treatment of cardiac anomalies.

Not to mention the faculty are out of this world! I did my Masters at USF Med and was so impressed by the level of mentorship, research, teaching, and actual caring that I decided to work as a researcher this year while my application simmered and am now going to med school to continue my work collaboration with these amazing people. And on the research front, we have established so many new research endowments, are classed as a research level 1 school which means we have cutting edge technology and innovations occuring with the funds and personnel to support us.

Whoa, guess I got a little enthusiastic there. Anyhow, one of the main points that I followed in college, grad school, and now med school was this: go visit campus, talk to profs, talk to students, and go where you feel most comfortable and where you believe you can achieve your dreams. Good luck! And feel free to message me with questions! :)

Congratulations to you all who got accepted.

Thanks for the welcome and that's awesome that we're going to be classmates! :laugh:

Cost of living in tampa is pretty average, but there are some more expensive places in the SOHO area, so it really depends on what you are looking for. I would say for the most part, however, that tampa is not bad, especially compared to other big cities like DC, NYC, or Chicago.

There is already a USF COM c/o 2013 group on facebook :D and I'm there already, so just go to groups and search "USF c/o 2013". Just be sure to click on the COM group and not the undergrad group...there is a USF school med seal by the group name. Congrats and can't wait to meet ya!

Thanks for the info- ALL of it! I look forward to seeing you in Tampa next year.

Haha that sounds like my interview day was it like Oct. 13th?

Anyway I thought USF was a a pretty nice school. I got in a few months ago but I'm actually from Memphis, TN. The schools up here in TN suck but paying 50k for the first year is kinda rough. Tampa General was a nice hospital I liked it. It seemed like the people running the CoM were really nice and friendly (alot more than I can say about UTennessee). Still trying to figure out if the 50k first year is worth it what you guys think? The other school I'm in is ETSU which is in a very small town in TN where most people go into rual medicine or family practice which I don't really think I want to do. Hard desicion

ha, yea! it was october 13th!

One of my very best friends just got in to ETSU and she is incredibly excited, but I know she does want to focus on rural medicine. She said the people there were just incredibly nice and the whole interview day was very personal. Tampa did seem really great, especially the facilities the med students could use. You never know, maybe you will get something from financial aid. If you think you would not be happy at ETSU and you really liked USF, it could be worth it, at least i think. (I am having a similar dilemma with an OOS school I really love, so i am also trying to convice myself that its worth it, haha)

Hi everyone! I was accepted at USF and I'm thrilled :)! I was also accepted at Colorado's med school and I'm having trouble deciding between the two. Any thoughts?

Any new news from future or possible future USF classmates? 8 months!

Any new news from future or possible future USF classmates? 8 months!

Not that I've heard. But I'm getting a little antzy. I'm planning to go back for my own second look in a month or so. I'll share any new info I obtain. Anyone know when we'll get e-mail accounts? How about when their interview season ends? I would think that'll be when communication picks up since they'll be close to a final list of the 2013 class.

I got an email today about a second look in feb/march did any of you all get that email?

mail

Not that I've heard. But I'm getting a little antzy. I'm planning to go back for my own second look in a month or so. I'll share any new info I obtain. Anyone know when we'll get e-mail accounts? How about when their interview season ends? I would think that'll be when communication picks up since they'll be close to a final list of the 2013 class.

You get all the info for what you need to do, including how to sign up for e-mail, after May 15th.

The interview season usually ends at the end of April, but may continue into May (doesn't usually happen.)

The final list for this past year's incoming class wasn't finalized until the Friday before classes started - there is traditionally a fair amount of movement on the waitlist.

I know that everyone gets anxious in between getting accepted and getting all the pre-matriculation requirements done...Keep checking the student affairs page to see when the 'Welcome Class of 2013" goes up - that is when you will get all the info that you need!

Wow---you answered everything. Thanks:D

You get all the info for what you need to do, including how to sign up for e-mail, after May 15th.

The interview season usually ends at the end of April, but may continue into May (doesn't usually happen.)

The final list for this past year's incoming class wasn't finalized until the Friday before classes started - there is traditionally a fair amount of movement on the waitlist.

I know that everyone gets anxious in between getting accepted and getting all the pre-matriculation requirements done...Keep checking the student affairs page to see when the 'Welcome Class of 2013" goes up - that is when you will get all the info that you need!

Any suggestions on housing??
where do most usf medical students live?
which place should we try to avoid?:scared:

thanks!

does anyone know the date class starts?

does anyone know the date class starts?

First year starts the Monday of the second or third week of August. There may not be a specific date up for another month or so (when the post the c/o 2013 welcome page)

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear about financial aid?

It should be sometime soon. Institutional aid is hard to come by, FYI.

Congrats, y'all!

I'm a native Tampanian and a rising MS3, so if anyone has any questions about what to expect/buy/live/whatever, drop me a line.

I'm sure you're all really excited to get started and meet everyone- I remember that I was. Just try and do a lot of fun stuff this summer!!

- Jessica

Congrats, y'all!

I'm a native Tampanian and a rising MS3, so if anyone has any questions about what to expect/buy/live/whatever, drop me a line.

I'm sure you're all really excited to get started and meet everyone- I remember that I was. Just try and do a lot of fun stuff this summer!!

- Jessica

like reading "On Doctorate," right?:laugh:

Oh, see. They change the curriculum every year. We didn't get that book until white coat ceremony. We had to read "The Death of Ivan Illyich." Don't blow that stuff off since you do get graded. Dr. Nixon will give you tests on it. I know it's a drag, but it'll be over before you know it.

like reading "On Doctorate," right?:laugh:

It's "On Doctoring" and you get that one at the White Coat ceremony. It's a compilation of a bunch of different short stories and poems.

This past year we had to read "A Place Called Canterbury" - I have no idea what the novel will be for this next year, but they keep changing the course so who knows. It is pass/fail for us, and we never had any exams or tests, just some writing assignments and one project.

Oh, see, Dr. Nixon definitely gave my class tests. And our course was significantly different than this past year's class. We had separate classes actually. Ethics was a class. Humanities was a class. POM was its own class. And we got grades. See how they like to change it up every year?

Did anyone start getting any financial aid packages. I didn't get mine yet but i am a USF student and i can see that there has been some changes to the financial aid status page online. Just wondering how long would it take, may 15 is coming up.

Did anyone start getting any financial aid packages. I didn't get mine yet but i am a USF student and i can see that there has been some changes to the financial aid status page online. Just wondering how long would it take, may 15 is coming up.

COM financial aid is separate from the undergrad campus...so if you are a current USF undergrad student, the page you are looking at is probably not the correct one.

Keep in mind that incoming MS1's are at the bottom of the financial aid to do list. 3rd and 4th year students start mid May, so their financial aid is handled first, followed my 2nd years, who start in the beginning of August.

Also, due to all the budget cuts, there have been rumors of drastic reductions in institutional aid (along with just about everything else), so if you are going to base your decision on where to go on your aid package, you may be very disappointed when you get your package from USF. Tuition is going up 5% next year state wide, but even with that our COA is very manageable. Very few people have to take out more than the Stafford loans, and they are almost always OOS students.

COM financial aid is separate from the undergrad campus...so if you are a current USF undergrad student, the page you are looking at is probably not the correct one.

Keep in mind that incoming MS1's are at the bottom of the financial aid to do list. 3rd and 4th year students start mid May, so their financial aid is handled first, followed my 2nd years, who start in the beginning of August.

Also, due to all the budget cuts, there have been rumors of drastic reductions in institutional aid (along with just about everything else), so if you are going to base your decision on where to go on your aid package, you may be very disappointed when you get your package from USF. Tuition is going up 5% next year state wide, but even with that our COA is very manageable. Very few people have to take out more than the Stafford loans, and they are almost always OOS students.

Actually, i am pretty sure that the information i can see is for the med school section of the financial aid. Anyway, i need that letter to try to submit it to scholarships that i applied for which have deadlines by the end of the month. I was only just wondering.

I'd call Matt or Michelle in the financial aid office and let them know that you need it for scholarship consideration. They should at least be able to let you know when the letters are going out.

Congrats, y'all!

- Jessica

How much free time daily did you have on average during your first two years?