USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi friends,

A quick question. I just accepted my acceptance to the interview. Do we get confirmation email from them, or just assumed they got it without any problems?

Let me know. I didn't get any response from them. Is that normal? Thanks in advance. :laugh: Peace:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know out of how many applicants USC receives and how many gets interviewed?
Do you know the acceptance rate of people who get interviewed?

Thank you

Does anyone know out of how many applicants USC receives and how many gets interviewed?
Do you know the acceptance rate of people who get interviewed?

Thank you

This info is easily found on the pharmcas website.

I think they get about 1400 apps a year, if I remember what they said at the open house. So you have a 1 in 3 chance of an interview and then 1 in 6 chance of getting in after the interview.

Remember than even though they state the class size is 190. About 100 or so are the prepharmacy TAPP program people. So 90-110 a year are open to everyone.

Someone once told me they interview everyone who applies with a 3.0, don't know how true that is but they interview 600 people, that is a lot of interviews.

Statistics for 2007 Entering Class Acceptees *
Number interviewed - 585
Number accepted - 190
Estimated entering class size - 190
Estimated male - 24.7 %
Estimated female - 75.3 %
Number out-of-state accepted - 14

Members don't see this ad :)
They just emailed me the "LACKING" letter today, meaning they just processed my pre-req evaluation. Does anybody know if i do get an interview, will i be able to catch the 11/10 one?

I got a confirm email back.

hiiii,
i accpted the invitation for nov, 10th and i just got the confirmation email

Anyone got an interview with a cummulative gpa of ~3.14 and sience gpa of ~2.98. i am really worried...i have a bachelor's degree in biotech...and am a pharmacy technician...

Here's some extra tidbits of info, it could be right or wrong, I'm stating all hearsay.

USC interviews a lot of people because they put more emphysis on the interview rather than the application stats.

The early round of interviews are usually the cream of the crop in terms of GPA. Meaning the majority of people invited have high GPA's and something extra.

Later interviews are for people with lesser GPA's but your app looks good in some places, so you might get an interview in Jan/Feb/etc. OR you have a high GPA but you turned in your app late, closer to the deadline.

Someone posted that they got an interview even though their app submission date was 9/27 or so, given that, if you got a email saying that your app is complete, your app was considered for an interview for Nov but didn't make the cut this time.

Things to be happy or sad about:

If you turned in your app early, in August and you have a high GPA and you didn't get an invite for the Nov interviews. You should be slightly worried. You got skipped over this round, not the end but they still skipped you for whatever reason. ;)

If you got an invite be happy but remember they are inviting 599 other people for a 100 slots or so, so getting ready to smooze and make an impression.

At least for USC, they give you a chance to make an impression at the interviews rather than turn you away without a fighting chance.

If you got an invite be happy but remember they are inviting 599 other people for a 100 slots or so, so getting ready to smooze and make an impression.

Actually, it's more like 190 slots or so:hardy:

Actually, it's more like 190 slots or so:hardy:

I thought USC had slots reserved for the TAPP Prepharm people that go there starting their freshman year and get in to the Pharm program as long as they keep a 3.0. I know the slots go up and down every year depending who makes it or not.

Anybody know the exact specs.

Hey Doc,

As far as I know, you had to confirm your interview acceptance with a short essay last year. How about this year?

Thanks, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when do we have to submit the 300 word paragraph for the interview?

haha so i dropped by campus today to turn in some transcripts upstairs in 206...and apparently there were a bunch of you applicants in the lobby for an info session that I didn't know about. I ended up chatting with the admissions person, introduced myself, took a packet, and left due to parking issues. I wonder how many of you on here were there :D

does anyone know when usc generally starts sending out rejection letters?

I'll try to cover a few of the questions I know the answer to.

They send out invites for ~150 per interview session. 4 interview sessions = 600 interviews regardless of the number of applications received. The 585 would have been due to last minute cancellations where a replacement invite could not be mailed.
Last year they said there were (I don't remember the exact number) ~1800 applications making it a 1 interview for every 3 applicants.
I don't know how many TAPPers we have, but I don't think it's even close to 100 since the number of USC undergrads we have in our class is <50. I believe the number is <20 (16 if I remember right). If that's the case (and I'm pretty sure it is) that leaves at least 150 open spots or 25% of interviewees who can be accepted.

The info session was open to all, but I know a few of them were pre-pharmers from Pasadena City college. I took two of them and their advisor on the tour. The funny part is, the two we had in our tour group were pre-meds, not pre-pharm.
Here's the info session schedule for those interested. http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/tour.html
The tours are given by us pharm students, so it may be a good time to ask questions if you think you'll be interviewing and want some background info you can impress you interviewers with.

I don't know the due date for the 300 words, but it should be on your acceptance letter or in the info that comes with it. I could take a look at mine, if I can find it again, but I'm pretty sure it's 1 week or something like that.

does anyone know when usc generally starts sending out rejection letters?

I can't say for sure, but last year I don't remember seeing any having been sent before the first set of interviews were completed. Even then the majority seemed to be "active consideration"* letters.

*Active consideration = We'll keep you in suspense until one or more additional interviews have been completed.

I have a question. I applied last year and got an interview for November. This year, I got my BS, a pharm tech job, a pharm tech license, and a higher GPA but heard nothing about the interview. Should I email USC to ask? I applied even earlier than last year....:(

i got a confirmation email for my nov. 10th interview, but they never mentioned anything about a 300 word essay. will they send the prompt for that through snail mail?

i got a confirmation email for my nov. 10th interview, but they never mentioned anything about a 300 word essay. will they send the prompt for that through snail mail?

what 300-word essay?? I got a confirmation from USC too, but I have never heard about the essay.

me neither.. i didn't hear anything about the essay. Is it a every-year thing?

what 300-word essay?? I got a confirmation from USC too, but I have never heard about the essay.
at the info session they told us that prior to the interview we need to submit a 250 - 300 word essay/ personal statement for the interviewers. There wasn't anything about it in my invitation letter but im guessing that once we have accepted our invitation they should send out another letter with instructions for the essay

FYI, USC has recently changed its admissions point system. Now, 70% of the admissions score will depend on your GPA, not 50% like prevous years. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions. =)

at the info session they told us that prior to the interview we need to submit a 250 - 300 word essay/ personal statement for the interviewers. There wasn't anything about it in my invitation letter but im guessing that once we have accepted our invitation they should send out another letter with instructions for the essay

I can't find my acceptance letter, but I know this was required last year. Maybe it isn't this year. If you've reread the acceptance letter and the confirmation email and neither mention it, perhaps they dropped the requirement this year.

Dear BMBiology and Farmercyst

I am concerned that I may not get an interview anymore because 70% of the application is based on GPA. I don't have the best GPA at all but I have ALOT of pharmacy experience and volunteer experience. THe pharmacist that I worked for was a USC Pharmacy School Alum and she wrote my LOR. In addition, I got accepted to USC as an undergraduate. Do you think that these factors will help me get an interview? Or should I prepare myself for rejection because I have a low GPA?

Any advice would be appreciated. Please do not feel bad about hurting my feelings. If you think my chances are low, please be honest! I can handle it - LOL. Bluntness is often the key to reality LOL!

THanks

FYI, USC has recently changed its admissions point system. Now, 70% of the admissions score will depend on your GPA, not 50% like prevous years. Good luck! PM me if you have any questions. =)

How do you know that? You work for the admission committee? lol! just curious

so the other 30% comprises of the application essays, LOR, and interview?? that means the interview is not that important??

so the other 30% comprises of the application essays, LOR, and interview?? that means the interview is not that important??

Every points matter especially the interview. If you have a really bad interview and just because you have a high gpa, that doesn't mean you will be accepted. It's a point system but like other schools, exception may be made for unique candidates. In previous years, USC loss some good candidates to UCSF, partially because of the difference in tuition, but now UCSF tuition is also up there so more of these candidates decide to attend USC which makes USC more competitive.

I can't say for sure, but a large percentage of the class is from UCLA and USC. It could be that they get a disproportionate number of applications from these schools, but they may also be partial to those schools since it is a perennial occurence.

Hello Farmercyst, is it true that gpa counts as 70% of the acceptance? after the interview, what does the admissions committee look at when determining your acceptance? How much does the interview weigh in?? gpa??

Hello Farmercyst, is it true that gpa counts as 70% of the acceptance? after the interview, what does the admissions committee look at when determining your acceptance? How much does the interview weigh in?? gpa??

I don't have the insight into the adcom instructions for evaluating or scoring the applications so I can't reallly say. If you think about it this way though, if you scored high enough to get an intervew then you're close enough to everyone who interviews that doing really well can make the difference, all other factors having been considered before you were even invited for the interview.

I have a question. I applied last year and got an interview for November. This year, I got my BS, a pharm tech job, a pharm tech license, and a higher GPA but heard nothing about the interview. Should I email USC to ask? I applied even earlier than last year....:(

Did you get the LACK letter? if yes, when was it?
I am also reapplicant for UCS and got interview invitation.
If you get the lack letter, then just be patient...you may get next invitation.
If you did not get lack letter, then contact them asap.....

Hey,
When you talk about a LACK letter, is it the email you get that says that your application is complete. Bascially, I got an email that had a bunch of places where they could put a X next to depending on what I was missing. But I had a X next to complete application. Thanks

Hey,
When you talk about a LACK letter, is it the email you get that says that your application is complete. Bascially, I got an email that had a bunch of places where they could put a X next to depending on what I was missing. But I had a X next to complete application. Thanks

you don't need to worry about bunch of X in lack letter as long as you are planning to complete those classes.
Lack letter means your pre-req courses are checked and your file is ready for decision.

you don't need to worry about bunch of X in lack letter as long as you are planning to complete those classes.
Lack letter means your pre-req courses are checked and your file is ready for decision.

When you guys mean "lack letter" do you mean the "Supplemental Application and Document Acknowledgement Form&#8207;?" that USC's admission office emails out?

me neither.. i didn't hear anything about the essay. Is it a every-year thing?

I didn't get anything about an essay in my interview papers or email either...

Is anyone flying in for their interview?

USC just called me and asked me to confirm the interview over the phone. They mailed me the invite but it got returned for some reason. I feel better now.....:)

USC just called me and asked me to confirm the interview over the phone. They mailed me the invite but it got returned for some reason. I feel better now.....:)
Are you a reapplicant?
Can you share our stats? Thanks.

Are you a reapplicant?
Can you share our stats? Thanks.

Yes, I am. I got invited for Nov interview last year as well, got waitlisted, and then got my rejection letter in May.

This year, my pharmcas GPA is 3.2, will be taking PCAT next saturday, BS in BCH, got pharm tech license summer 2007 and have been working as a tech at Walgreens for almost a year. Done all my pre-reqs. I volunteered at hospital and retail and I was the president for my Health Club during school. That's pretty much it. I am sure I will get waitlisted again after the interview. USC interviewed 600 applicants to accept only about 25-30% of them.

Good luck to you!

Yes, I am. I got invited for Nov interview last year as well, got waitlisted, and then got my rejection letter in May.

This year, my pharmcas GPA is 3.2, will be taking PCAT next saturday, BS in BCH, got pharm tech license summer 2007 and have been working as a tech at Walgreens for almost a year. Done all my pre-reqs. I volunteered at hospital and retail and I was the president for my Health Club during school. That's pretty much it. I am sure I will get waitlisted again after the interview. USC interviewed 600 applicants to accept only about 25-30% of them.

Good luck to you!

Maybe I'll see you there.
I'm probably the most easily recognized.

Maybe I'll see you there.
I'm probably the most easily recognized.

The most easily recognized person? Are you a guy with very long hair or a girl with extremely short hair? :laugh: j/k....Let me guess: you are a male?

Have a good day!

Yay. I got an interview on Nov. 10 as well via the phone. My mail also got returned for some reason.

The most easily recognized person? Are you a guy with very long hair or a girl with extremely short hair? :laugh: j/k....Let me guess: you are a male?

Have a good day!

Perhaps a slight overstatement, but if you look at my profile pic, it's hard to miss the gray patch. Besides, yes I am a male, so that knocks about 70% of the class out, add that I'm white and you're down to about ~5% of the class.

just got my LACK letter, does that mean everything is submitted and just in review?

for those of you planning to attend, are you guys looking into on-campus housing or nearby apt/homes ?

i got the "lack" letter a few weeks ago. However, when i checked my status on the USC online application, it says that it is incomplete. It states that it has not received my other supporting documents. What are the other supporting documents that USC requires? HELP!

i got the "lack" letter a few weeks ago. However, when i checked my status on the USC online application, it says that it is incomplete. It states that it has not received my other supporting documents. What are the other supporting documents that USC requires? HELP!

does the checklist state which ones you are missing?

e-mail them back - they got back to me within 24 hours

or give them a call

you should be fine, it's probably all just processing (if you sent them in)

Does anyone know if USC considers non-science majors? It seems they prefer only science majors.

Does anyone know if USC considers non-science majors? It seems they prefer only science majors.

It is possible to get in without a degree at all..

I am not a science major, and in my opinion, it works out better. Why compete with all the bio/chem/science majors in unneeded (for pre-reqs anyways) classes and lower your gpa? I've had a balanced undergrad (studying , having fun/partying, ECs, almost a full-time job), and I still have higher grades than most of the people I know in Bio. I am gonna get a BA in Social Sciences, so I had a lot of free time on the side (even after taking pre-reqs which I took at a reasonable pace). Just my 2cents