USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went with the USC Credit Union for my loans last year. Take a look at interest rates, incentive programs (rate reductions, credits towards principle after graduation, etc.) I'd call FA and see if they can counsel you. Many of the institutions last year were offering x% off after so many months of paying on time, or would credit $XX towards principle for on-time payments.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is and whether or not it is mandatory?

I need to finish my interpersonal communications class over the summer, and it ends on August 7th, so I hope I have enough time to come to the preliminary events.

Orientation week is mandatory, White Coat is considered part of orientation week, so unless you hear differently directly from USC I'd say it's mandatory. You should be getting info on the White Coat ceremony and the order form for your white coat size etc sometime in the next few weeks. It'll come around the same time you get your class registration info if I recall correctly.

White Coat ceremony is for you so it is not mandatory. No one is going to beat you over the head because you did not go to the White Coat Ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to double check - orientation starts on Aug 19th? And am I the only one who hasn't gotten my financial aid summary?

No, I havent received my financial aid summary either.

No, I havent received my financial aid summary either.

Do not worry, I guess!
I called USC Pharmacy School Financial Aid and they told me fin. aid info will be sent out in July (by Pharmacy school). People are receiving emails from GRAD school now independently.
So I was told not to worry....

Does anyone know what the "C" and "G" represent, located after the total amount of each line, on the financial aid award letter?

Hi
I am position #101 on the waitlist and I know that it's not worth it to hope that I'll get into USC.. but before I drop interpersonal communication class that I was going to take in June, is there anyone who was accepted after being placed on the end of the waitlist? What do you think my chances are? Do you think I should still take interpersonal communication class, just for that tiny little chance that I might get into USC?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi
I am position #101 on the waitlist and I know that it's not worth it to hope that I'll get into USC.. but before I drop interpersonal communication class that I was going to take in June, is there anyone who was accepted after being placed on the end of the waitlist? What do you think my chances are? Do you think I should still take interpersonal communication class, just for that tiny little chance that I might get into USC?

Thank you very much in advance!

Don't drop it! I spoke to admin yesterday and they really emphasized that mid to end of june your number on that list is going to change. as spring grades get turned in, they are going re-calculate gpa's and rearrange the list. Also, she emphasized that most people on the list give up and drop off so there goes another chunk. If you had a crazy load for the summer I would tell you to put off these classes cause 101 is pretty high, but since its only interpersonal com I would still take it. Its a super easy class!! Well, good luck through the summer wait, I will be doing the same.

Don't drop it! I spoke to admin yesterday and they really emphasized that mid to end of june your number on that list is going to change. as spring grades get turned in, they are going re-calculate gpa's and rearrange the list. Also, she emphasized that most people on the list give up and drop off so there goes another chunk. If you had a crazy load for the summer I would tell you to put off these classes cause 101 is pretty high, but since its only interpersonal com I would still take it. Its a super easy class!! Well, good luck through the summer wait, I will be doing the same.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Oh.. I am as well on the waiting list... What you have said surely cheer me up... I see hope again. Hopefully, I will be pulled off the list in June.

Hi Farmercyst,

I was informed by a student in your current class that the 1500 required pharmacy practice hours have been waived. This individual wasn't able to provide much details as he didn't know himself. Is this true?

Thank you.

Hi Farmercyst,

I was informed by a student in your current class that the 1500 required pharmacy practice hours have been waived. This individual wasn't able to provide much details as he didn't know himself. Is this true?

Thank you.

Just to clarify, the 1500 hour requirement is required by the California Board of Pharmacy. Currently, USC can give 600 hours but there are talks that in the future, the Board of Pharmacy would let pharmacy schools give the whole 1500 hours. However, this is just speculation.

Just to clarify, the 1500 hour requirement is required by the California Board of Pharmacy. Currently, USC can give 600 hours but there are talks that in the future, the Board of Pharmacy would let pharmacy schools give the whole 1500 hours. However, this is just speculation.

They've told our class that the school will be signing off on the entire 1500 hours. I don't see what the big deal is. You just work over the summer 2 of the three years and you get the other 900 hours. Or work 10 hours/week two of the three years before clerkships. So far as I've been able to tell, it'll be that way starting will c/o 2011. Jim Granderson would probably be able to verify that if someone wants to ask next time they call in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, this is a question for current USC students again, so after we receive information on financial aid eligibility (ie. stafford loans, etc), what would be the next step? Will USC send us the loan request forms or will we have to take the initiative to take care of the stuff? Thanks :)

They've told our class that the school will be signing off on the entire 1500 hours. I don't see what the big deal is. You just work over the summer 2 of the three years and you get the other 900 hours. Or work 10 hours/week two of the three years before clerkships. So far as I've been able to tell, it'll be that way starting will c/o 2011. Jim Granderson would probably be able to verify that if someone wants to ask next time they call in.

If that's true, then that's something new. I am against it. I think the 1500 hr requirment is why some pharmacy students work and get some pharmacy experience.

If that's true, then that's something new. I am against it. I think the 1500 hr requirment is why some pharmacy students work and get some pharmacy experience.

I'm completely with you on that one. It seems rather odd that the state would allow someone with 0 unstructured/out of school experience to get licensed. It's like letting your kid ride down the street by themselves right after you take the training wheels off.

Hi, this is a question for current USC students again, so after we receive information on financial aid eligibility (ie. stafford loans, etc), what would be the next step? Will USC send us the loan request forms or will we have to take the initiative to take care of the stuff? Thanks :)

i'd like to know too. i tried calling the FA office today, but they weren't available.

I honestly don't remember. I think they send you a list of lenders, but I could be wrong.

I'm not an authority on how important it is. It was from the graduate school office of admissions. We already sent out deposits and intent to enroll forms to the school of pharmacy, but this still looks like it needs to be completed. Here is a paragraph from the welcome letter:

"Specific information regarding registration and enrollment is included in your Graduate Welcome packet, in addition to the University Intent to Enroll form. You will also receive a welcome letter from the department which will include a form to be returned to the department declaring your interest in enrolling. Both forms should be returned as soon as you have made your decision to enroll at USC, and no later than the deadline indicated in the departmental letter."

I'm really not sure when the deadline for this form is since the pharmacy deadline was a while back with our deposits.

I got my Graduate Welcome packet yesterday so maybe yours will come Tuesday or Wenesday. If not, I'd give the admissions office a call.

If it makes you feel better, I never received a reception invitation :( Maybe they assume that since I'm out of state I won't be coming.

Did anyone fax/mail this intent to enroll in graduate studies form in? I've been faxing it (4 times total already!) to the grad admins for about a month now.. and they still haven't received any of my faxes. They keep telling me to fax it to them and I've tried two different fax numbers and two different fax machines. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know how crucial it is to send this form? I've talked to two different admin counselors and received two different answers. One said USC needs both intent to enroll forms (1 to pharm school, 1 to grad studies) and the other said that its not that important since the pharm school has my intent to enroll and deposit.:confused::confused::confused:

they haven't received my intent for the grad school either, but they say to call back at the end of the week to check. anyone receive their email accounts yet?

Has anyone called in to follow up on the 1500 pharmacy hour requirement? Will it be waived and why does the board allow such a thing?

anyone have any advice on where i could go to get the health requirements done if i don't have health insurance?

anyone have any advice on where i could go to get the health requirements done if i don't have health insurance?

I would like to know the same...Otherwise, I might have to pay for health insurance for a month and for the visit, which is about $200 @ Kaiser....

I would like to know the same...Otherwise, I might have to pay for health insurance for a month and for the visit, which is about $200 @ Kaiser....

If you live withing driving distance of USC, you can go to the student health center and fill out their forms. Immunization titers vary but all are <$20 each. Also, consider looking up free clinics in your area. Thousand Oaks/Agoura/Ventura has the conejo free clinic if any of you live nearby.

If you live withing driving distance of USC, you can go to the student health center and fill out their forms. Immunization titers vary but all are <$20 each. Also, consider looking up free clinics in your area. Thousand Oaks/Agoura/Ventura has the conejo free clinic if any of you live nearby.

Yeah, I had two sets of titers done at the student health center. They have you go down to the pathology lab and it's $18 I think, it may have been more, but certainly cheaper than any doctor's office. As for getting the immunizations, I go free clinic or perhaps call the county public health agency and see if they give discounted immunizations somewhere. I know in TX I paid $10/shot for Polio, HepA, and Typhoid. (Not pharmacy related immunizations)

Hey Farmercyst,
How do most of the professors distribute lecture notes? Are they posted in ppt or pdf format online beforehand? I'm tired of printing out binder-fuls of notes and I"m thinking of getting a Tablet PC but just want to make sure I'll actually use the tablet portion.

Hey Farmercyst,
How do most of the professors distribute lecture notes? Are they posted in ppt or pdf format online beforehand? I'm tired of printing out binder-fuls of notes and I"m thinking of getting a Tablet PC but just want to make sure I'll actually use the tablet portion.

Even if they don't hand out lectures in PPT/PDF format, you can simply scan it and upload it to your TabletPC. Takes about 30 seconds. If there are a lot of pages, hand it to your local copying/faxing center and let them do it for like 10 bucks. You can even buy those compact mini-scanners on eBay (that's about the size of a flashlight) so you can scan things on the spot.

Paperless all the way. :D

PS - Here's the one that I use - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6652335&postcount=11

Last edited:
So I just received the email from Jim Granderson regarding registration, tuition, etc. At first when I saw tuition fee to be $20,000 I thought it was for a YEAR and was very satisfied/relieved. But it is PER SEMESTER. $40000 of tuition per year alone, damn, I think my estimation of needing 50K/year in loans for housing/other expenses might not be enough!

So I just received the email from Jim Granderson regarding registration, tuition, etc. At first when I saw tuition fee to be $20,000 I thought it was for a YEAR and was very satisfied/relieved. But it is PER SEMESTER. $40000 of tuition per year alone, damn, I think my estimation of needing 50K/year in loans for housing/other expenses might not be enough!

were you able to register online?

I think one of the word docs says registration starts tomorrow June 11, but i havent tried yet.

you're right, it does say june 11. i'm not able to log into the system though. are you able to?

I did not get that e-mail about registration... I m worried.
And when I called the school, I had a pleasure of talking to the meanest receptionist on earth.
:(:(:(
What does that e-mail say, guys???

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to pay $150 for the titer (MMR, hep b, varicella), physical exam, and tb test. I paid additional $30 for dt booster shot.

If you guys are interested, call them and make appointments (I recommend appointments in the morning so you won't have to wait).

Women's Wellness Health Center
280 S. Atlantic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90022
323-264-7241

Besides being cheap, they are very friendly and helpful.

Lastly, although this clinic is called "Women's..." men can also go there. I asked in case any guys would want to take advantage of this. :D

And when I called the school, I had a pleasure of talking to the meanest receptionist on earth.
What does that e-mail says, guys???
Welcome, Welcome,
Fall 2008 Year 1 Students,
This is an electronic information notification. You may now register for your classes for fall 2008. Please note the time window for registration. You should register immediately when you receive this email. Your registration will activate your USC accounts. You will be able to view your registration via OASIS, financial aid summary, purchase USC event tickets and many other privileges opened to currently enrolled USC students.
You will receive many different mailings from the university. Since you have been admitted to the School of Pharmacy please send ALL replies and inquiries directly to the USC School of Pharmacy. DO NOT SEND REPLIES TO THE UNIVERSITY PARK CAMPUS.

Replies sent to the University Park Campus will only delay your processes since the replies are only forwarded to the School of Pharmacy.
If you have questions you may contact the School of Pharmacy via email or telephone. Make sure you are registered for 18 units. You will be an official Trojan. Fight On!!!
Jim

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

Master Web Registration Instructions
Tuition & Fees
Fa 08 Year 1 Courses
Fa 08 Year 1 Registration

I was able to log in, but it said my registration was on July 1st
anyone have earlier?

I was able to log in, but it said my registration was on July 1st
anyone have earlier?

mine is also at the same time as yours, aren't they all the same since we are all taking the same classes anyway??

also, anyone able to use the USC email system?? i tried several times but the only thing i can login to is OASIS...

My registration is also on the first of July... I was unable to activate my email account with the USC system. Maybe better luck tomorrow

Are any of you planning to get new laptops before school starts? If you, which ones were you considering?

I was thinking of a Macbook Pro

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to pay $150 for the titer (MMR, hep b, varicella), physical exam, and tb test. I paid additional $30 for dt booster shot.

If you guys are interested, call them and make appointments (I recommend appointments in the morning so you won't have to wait).

Women's Wellness Health Center
280 S. Atlantic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90022
323-264-7241

Besides being cheap, they are very friendly and helpful.

Lastly, although this clinic is called "Women's..." men can also go there. I asked in case any guys would want to take advantage of this. :D

Thanks. Did you do that all in one day? Everything included is $150. Do we need to bring any documents like tax return, SS card?

email doesn't work for me either. Haven't receive financial aid either.

Hey guys... It says my registration appointment date is July 1st also.

This is wrong.. we should be able to register on June 11th as stated in the documents. I spoke with an admissions lady and she says there's some technical errors going on with the system. Try to log on again in the next few days to see if they have updated the system.

I believe once we register for our classes, we will get our student email address, then we'll be able to access OASIS and review our accounts. Well, at least that's what was stated in one of the documents.

Thanks. Did you do that all in one day? Everything included is $150. Do we need to bring any documents like tax return, SS card?

Yes, I did that in one day EXCEPT the TB test b/c this test must be done 2 months or less from the day we start school. So I need to go back to the clinic in July. If you talk to them they will know what you are saying because I already explained to them about this for USC students.

You don't need to bring your tax return or SS card. :) Just take the two forms (the physical exam, titer form) that USC sent out, along with any form of ID. I gave them my previous school ID because I told them that we didn't get our USC ID yet.

With the tetanus shot, the price is $180 ($150 for the titers, physical exam, and TB test; $30 for tetanus shot). Along with the school requirement, this package includes urine and other blood test. I thought this was a great opportunity to see if I had diabetes, etc.

I hope this clarified the previous post.

Are any of you planning to get new laptops before school starts? If you, which ones were you considering?

I was thinking of a Macbook Pro

Me too, maybe. I don't know if I would use it though. I love pen and paper. Don't forget. If you buy it at the school bookstore (UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC), it might be cheaper than at the apple store with student discount. :) If you find a great deal, please let us know. Thanks~

I've been researching laptops as well.

I've narrowed it down to a few-

HP dv2700t
Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (though a bit on the expensive side)
Asus F8Sn

Of course, Dell has laptops but they give me anxiety. Too many bad stories!

I've been researching laptops as well.

I've narrowed it down to a few-

HP dv2700t
Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (though a bit on the expensive side)
Asus F8Sn

Of course, Dell has laptops but they give me anxiety. Too many bad stories!

You guys should considering getting tablets. They're dope! I have the hptc4400.

If I were to get another PC/Windows only laptop, I would get the Lenovo Thinkpads. They are well built and don't come with lots of "pre-installed software."

another option would be to get a basic macbook and dual boot windows...

What does that e-mail says, guys???

Hey don't worry about it... I had my email sent to my Spam folder, so check there. If you don't have it I could forward it to you... let me know... (it has 4 attachments).

I got off the waitlist at UOP and will probably go there over USC because of convenience issues (unless there are bad things about UOP that someone can tell me) :D

I'm having trouble registering for classes. My registration appointment time is July 1. I thought we were suppose to register asap. Any clues?

I'm having trouble registering for classes. My registration appointment time is July 1. I thought we were suppose to register asap. Any clues?

read my post above.