USC application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey friends please help for instruments. Do we have to have same burs? I mean if I use 330 instead of 245 or whatever, is that okay or we have to have same burs they mentioned? and if I want to buy some instruments from USC instead of buying whole set, can I buy them? I dont know what to do? please help.

Even I have the same doubt. Is it necessary to use the same burs as mentioned in their equipment list?
seniors please advise. Does USC check what all instruments we are carrying... Coz i have all the instruments but burs may be different? would that be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

USC Doesnot check on the instruments, you can use your favorite burs or preps, they are very nice. They just want you to come and do the preps on your typhodont ( columbia).

Even I have the same doubt. Is it necessary to use the same burs as mentioned in their equipment list?
seniors please advise. Does USC check what all instruments we are carrying... Coz i have all the instruments but burs may be different? would that be fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
USC Doesnot check on the instruments, you can use your favorite burs or preps, they are very nice. They just want you to come and do the preps on your typhodont ( columbia).

if v ll make it on our typhodont then how will they judge our work...do v hv to give our typhodont to them? n ll they giv us back then??? confused abt it

if v ll make it on our typhodont then how will they judge our work...do v hv to give our typhodont to them? n ll they giv us back then??? confused abt it
chk the 2nd email , they hv said that they would return our typhodont on monday 10th oct after 8 am

hey toothfairyqueen can you teel me from where you can buy the wax block? can I buy from any book store? wil it be same as USC book store? I dont know what to do? Thanks in advance.

Toothfairyqueen, Thanks for clarifying that typhodonts will be returned the next day. Where are you buying the wax blocks and evance knife from ? Do we need the boley guage any idea?

hi guys, does anyone have idea what kind exercises they ask in the practical exams on sunday oct9th, like wax carving on the block or crown prep or cavity prep or anything else?
one more thing do we have to work like if we were working on a patient or they allow us to keep the typodont on the bench while we r preping the teeth/
thanks

hi guys, does anyone have idea what kind exercises they ask in the practical exams on sunday oct9th, like wax carving on the block or crown prep or cavity prep or anything else?
one more thing do we have to work like if we were working on a patient or they allow us to keep the typodont on the bench while we r preping the teeth/
thanks
we can hold the typodont and work.

its gonna be bench test no maniqan..about the teeth carving will we be requested to draw the tooth and carve it? or its gonna be drawn on wax and we just carve it?I tried to look for a wax block but couldnot find it :(
I tried to buy a coloumbia typodont from an applicant who had interview at USC before ,but he adviced me not to sale his typodont if I want it for USC because there is no way to delete the USC previous marks and USC applicant ID from it ..

Members don't see this ad :)
hi! does anyone know wat they r gonna test us on the bench test?

Guys, Do we have to post the $100 check or money order or hand it over personally on October 8th? I didn't get it clear since at one point in the mail it states send it to the following address and in the other part they say, bring the form to the interview or you would not be admitted...

hi...can anyone please tell me what do they ask in the exam in USC? anybody from previous year's experience, please share. Do we need to have all the instruments mentioned in the list and is there going to be a wax exercise for sure?

Guys, Do we have to post the $100 check or money order or hand it over personally on October 8th? I didn't get it clear since at one point in the mail it states send it to the following address and in the other part they say, bring the form to the interview or you would not be admitted...
I asked Lauren and she replied she is not going to collect all 144 checks on October 8th. So I think we should all mail it if possible.

Hi friends,
Can someone tell me whether we can use columbia typhodont 1560 for the USC interview?
Thanks

Hi friends,
Can someone tell me whether we can use columbia typhodont 1560 for the USC interview?
Thanks

No you cant use this, since it has hard gingiva, they need the typodont with soft gum structure, i am also buying a new one, since I had this 1560 columbia dentoform only.

Hello friends can you tell me from where are you going to buy wax block? from the USC book store or other place? what about HP adapter? do we have to buy that too?
Please help. Thank you.

Hello friends can you tell me from where are you going to buy wax block? from the USC book store or other place? what about HP adapter? do we have to buy that too?
Please help. Thank you.

if you have the 4 hole high speed hand piece you don't even need an adapter, but if your hand piece is 2 or 3 holes you'll need to buy it because they won't fit

No you cant use this, since it has hard gingiva, they need the typodont with soft gum structure, i am also buying a new one, since I had this 1560 columbia dentoform only.

Thanks toothfairy, the one I am having is soft gum .

if you have the 4 hole high speed hand piece you don't even need an adapter, but if your hand piece is 2 or 3 holes you'll need to buy it because they won't fit

Thank you for your reply inliter. So there will be 2 big and 2 small hand piece, right? And from where we have to buy wax block?

From where can I buy wax block and which brand for USC exam? Please help me. and do we have to have TRADITION POL hand piece? or any other would be okay? I dont have any instruments except typodont. Please help me.

From where can I buy wax block and which brand for USC exam? Please help me. and do we have to have TRADITION POL hand piece? or any other would be okay? I dont have any instruments except typodont. Please help me.

YOu can buy Wax blocks from any dental school who uses it for student teaching purpose. I got mine from USC.
You need a high speed handpiece which has 4 holes in the back. If you have one with 2 holes in the back please dont buy a connector. It will not work . Better buy a new handpiece from Ebay.

Any Indian female still looking to share accommodation, Please pm me

Last year it was a class 2 alloy prep and a bridge prep only.
Do we need to bring all the listed instruments? For example Gauge, Boley (S. Modification) Is it compulsory?

And what is
High Speed TRADITION
HP POL 7680631 $458.10 each
HP Adaptor (2 or 3 to 4 Hole) 7587555 $60.00 each ?

Thanks for clarifying other things.

Does anyone know if we can send the personal checks for paying the exam fee of $100? Since the email just mentions "checks" or "money orders".. I am doubtful if they need cashier check or personal check?

Does anyone know if we can send the personal checks for paying the exam fee of $100? Since the email just mentions "checks" or "money orders".. I am doubtful if they need cashier check or personal check?
Personal checks are acceptable, as it was for application fee. UC s (UCLA, UCSF) did not accept personal checks. But USC .....

Personal checks are acceptable, as it was for application fee. UC s (UCLA, UCSF) did not accept personal checks. But USC .....
I have a question. If I take the rent option for USC, Low-speed, High-speed, Burs will be provided. So I have to buy Typodont and Wax (+gauge and knife), + instruments such as Hatchet. ???? (anything but handpieces and burs)

YOu can buy Wax blocks from any dental school who uses it for student teaching purpose. I got mine from USC.
You need a high speed handpiece which has 4 holes in the back. If you have one with 2 holes in the back please dont buy a connector. It will not work . Better buy a new handpiece from Ebay.

Thank you krishdentist I really appreciate your great help. If you got your wax blocks, please can you provide the brand name or whatever name is on the box of the wax block? I searched on line and I found HIFLEX carving wax block on ebay and they are not 1/2" please can you tell me? also, can I use lacron carver instead of evance wax knife? Thank you very much.

could any one post instrument list pls?

Do we have wax exercise too?

Thanks...

For the bench exam, if we plan to rent the equipment, do we still have to bring our own typodont, wax blocks and carver? If yes , does it necessarily have to be Typodont SMPVR 860?? Please reply. thanks.

Do we need to bring all the listed instruments? For example Gauge, Boley (S. Modification) Is it compulsory?

And what is
High Speed TRADITION
HP POL 7680631 $458.10 each
HP Adaptor (2 or 3 to 4 Hole) 7587555 $60.00 each ?

Thanks for clarifying other things.

It was not compulsory to buy all those instruments. No body cares if you bought all the instruments or not. The purpose of giving away the instrument list is that these are the best instruments to prepare the class 2 cavities and crown prep. But you can take best out of it only if you buy it well in advance and practice with them. some of the instruments I never used before. Boley's gauge is to measure the tooth during wax carving. I didnt buy it. I had regular ruler. Handpieces are most important. Have one in spare incase one breaks during the exam. Ebay sells is for cheap price. GMT, Carver, Hatchet, Hoe are the most important instruments and I would definitely suggest to buy them. Make sure if you buy new instrument and use it well for the practice then use must sharpen it before taking to exams. Buy a polishing stone from Home depot. It will do it. and be careful not to change the angle while polishing the edge.

For the bench exam, if we plan to rent the equipment, do we still have to bring our own typodont, wax blocks and carver? If yes , does it necessarily have to be Typodont SMPVR 860?? Please reply. thanks.

I guess USC mentions SM-PVR 860 . But I am not sure. Please check in the literature given buy them. SM-PVR 860 is the usual model used in most of the schools. I had it and I used it for USC exam.

Thank you krishdentist I really appreciate your great help. If you got your wax blocks, please can you provide the brand name or whatever name is on the box of the wax block? I searched on line and I found HIFLEX carving wax block on ebay and they are not 1/2" please can you tell me? also, can I use lacron carver instead of evance wax knife? Thank you very much.

I got the wax blocks from USC. There was no brand name. Idea behind the particular size is, you dont have to waste more time carving out more wax in order to bring the block to the tooth size. I dont think you have to have it the same size. But it should be at least bigger than the tooth size you are going to carve. Better ask your friends in the dental school to buy it for you from the university stores. you can use any instruments to carve it.

It was not compulsory to buy all those instruments. No body cares if you bought all the instruments or not. The purpose of giving away the instrument list is that these are the best instruments to prepare the class 2 cavities and crown prep. But you can take best out of it only if you buy it well in advance and practice with them. some of the instruments I never used before. Boley's gauge is to measure the tooth during wax carving. I didnt buy it. I had regular ruler. Handpieces are most important. Have one in spare incase one breaks during the exam. Ebay sells is for cheap price. GMT, Carver, Hatchet, Hoe are the most important instruments and I would definitely suggest to buy them. Make sure if you buy new instrument and use it well for the practice then use must sharpen it before taking to exams. Buy a polishing stone from Home depot. It will do it. and be careful not to change the angle while polishing the edge.
Thanks Krishdentist.

I asked Lauren and she replied she is not going to collect all 144 checks on October 8th. So I think we should all mail it if possible.

But it also says that if we do not have the form with us on the day of the exam, we wont be admitted. I am still confused. Did any of you mail in the check and receive any confirmation???

I guess USC mentions SM-PVR 860 . But I am not sure. Please check in the literature given buy them. SM-PVR 860 is the usual model used in most of the schools. I had it and I used it for USC exam.

Thanks for the reply. I have a typodont but it is hard gingiva, could you please tell me if it will work or not??

I got the wax blocks from USC. There was no brand name. Idea behind the particular size is, you dont have to waste more time carving out more wax in order to bring the block to the tooth size. I dont think you have to have it the same size. But it should be at least bigger than the tooth size you are going to carve. Better ask your friends in the dental school to buy it for you from the university stores. you can use any instruments to carve it.

They ask us to carve teeth like out of the wax blocks.Could you tell us from your experience which tooth they asked to carve during your exam and how much time they give for it...Thanks for d the help..

They ask us to carve teeth like out of the wax blocks.Could you tell us from your experience which tooth they asked to carve during your exam and how much time they give for it...Thanks for d the help..
We were prepared for wax carving and cast partial denture designing both. But they didnt ask it last year. But you should prepare for it as they might ask this year.

Hi Krishdentist,
For the wax carving, if they do test us this year,will they give just the the measurements(numerical) or the pictures too?Thank you so much for taking time to answer our questions.
We were prepared for wax carving and cast partial denture designing both. But they didnt ask it last year. But you should prepare for it as they might ask this year.

Hi Krishdentist,
For the wax carving, if they do test us this year,will they give just the the measurements(numerical) or the pictures too?Thank you so much for taking time to answer our questions.

No I dont think they will give you picture or measurement table. At least that much USC can expect from an ASPID applicant right?
With tooth carving exercise they just want to see your hand skill/artistic work. They might not expect you to carve the tooth exact in millimeter but for example if they ask central incisor, they want you to make it like it with may be +/- 1mm diference, not like a lateral incisor which is small and root is distally curving. Dont spend too much time on wax carving preparation. Concentrate on tooth preps. They are the things which will get you a sure seat. If they ask tooth carving to you then it should be there as just additional dexterity test to differentiate artistic dentist from a group of applicants.
But lets say you carve the tooth very close to the real tooth with all sort of anatomical details and the other side make a shoulder margin on a gold crown preparation! You know you lost the race right?
So my personal suggestion is concentrate more on preps than a tooth carving.:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
ny indian female looking for accomodation near USC can pm me

No I dont think they will give you picture or measurement table. At least that much USC can expect from an ASPID applicant right?
With tooth carving exercise they just want to see your hand skill/artistic work. They might not expect you to carve the tooth exact in millimeter but for example if they ask central incisor, they want you to make it like it with may be +/- 1mm diference, not like a lateral incisor which is small and root is distally curving. Dont spend too much time on wax carving preparation. Concentrate on tooth preps. They are the things which will get you a sure seat. If they ask tooth carving to you then it should be there as just additional dexterity test to differentiate artistic dentist from a group of applicants.
But lets say you carve the tooth very close to the real tooth with all sort of anatomical details and the other side make a shoulder margin on a gold crown preparation! You know you lost the race right?
So my personal suggestion is concentrate more on preps than a tooth carving.:thumbup:

U r absolutely right.thank you so much.