USC 2009-2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my lack letter today from Peter Dean. It's really weird how the admissions office never includes any writing in their emails..

I got my lack letter today from Peter Dean. It's really weird how the admissions office never includes any writing in their emails..

Hmm now I am nervous. I haven't received my lack letter yet but I received my confirmation that everything was received awhile back. I hope I hear back from them soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm now I am nervous. I haven't received my lack letter yet but I received my confirmation that everything was received awhile back. I hope I hear back from them soon!

There's a long way between now and March. Keep a cool head. If it really concerns you, you can call and ask if your app is complete.

woo finally just got my lack letter :) exciting! hehe. now i am anxious for that interview invite... i wonder if we will get it by mail or email?? it says on my lack letter they are sending those out via either or...or maybe both? hmm

I sent mine in the middle of august but haven't received any confirmation yet, should I call them on Monday? :scared:

I submitted my supplemental 8/15 and finally received an email confirming that my application was complete. Is that the lack letter? I agree with sungieality; it's weird how they never include any writing with their emails.. the email I received was completely blank except for the attachment. -_-

I submitted my supplemental 8/15 and finally received an email confirming that my application was complete. Is that the lack letter? I agree with sungieality; it's weird how they never include any writing with their emails.. the email I received was completely blank except for the attachment. -_-
The lack letter has an attachment called "lacking.rtf" while the confirmation is a separate email with an attachment named "Checklist report.rtf".

I never got a checklist...I wonder if thats bad..

Wait, the lack letter's an e-mail document and not a snail mail doc?
I assumed it was... I haven't received any snail mail correspondence from USC at all, but I suppose it's possible. Anyone get anything from USC in the mail?

My attachment just had a list of my courses and all the grades, along with another column that says "lacking". I didn't have check marks in the lacking column because I finished my prereqs. Weirdly though, the lack letter ONLY listed my science/math courses, not my humanities prereqs like microeconomics or psychology.

Wait, the lack letter's an e-mail document and not a snail mail doc?

Lack letter is email. 95% of communication pre-acceptance is email. Last year they were even converting the acceptance letters to email. Not sure if that's 100% transitioned, but I know they were working in that direction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lack letter is email. 95% of communication pre-acceptance is email. Last year they were even converting the acceptance letters to email. Not sure if that's 100% transitioned, but I know they were working in that direction.

And imagine what I find in my Hotmail "junk folder".

Why did I think this would be a physical correspondence? I don't know.

Thanks Sungie + Cyst.

Part 1 of the online supplemental application asks:

8. Research Topics: Please list 2 or 3 scholarly/research topics that are especially interesting to you.
9. Faculty: Please list the names of 2 or 3 faculty members whose research you find most interesting and with whom you wish to work during your graduate studies.

Do these questions pertain to Pharm D applicants? :confused:

Part 1 of the online supplemental application asks:

8. Research Topics: Please list 2 or 3 scholarly/research topics that are especially interesting to you.
9. Faculty: Please list the names of 2 or 3 faculty members whose research you find most interesting and with whom you wish to work during your graduate studies.

Do these questions pertain to Pharm D applicants? :confused:

I didn't answer them.

has anyone received an interview invite?

has anyone received an interview invite?
I don't think we'll get one til near the end of October. They said they send out invites 3 weeks before the first interview date, which is Nov 21st this year.

Hey guys,

Do you guys know what the maximum length or characters required for the USC Supplemental essays? I haven't turned in my 1st part of the supplemental but wanted to get a heads up with the required length for 2 essays part. Thanks everyone and gluck

What unique, personal qualities and/or life experiences will you bring to your pharmacy career? (Characters limit: with space 3000)

What have you done to prepare for admission and a career in pharmacy? (Re-applicants should focus on specific things -activities, additional educational studies, etc. - which strengthen the file from the previous application.) (Character Limit with space: 2000)

does anyone know if USC "defers" people to a later interview like UOP does? When they send out the Nov. interview invites, will there be rejection letters or "deferred" letters?

does anyone know if USC "defers" people to a later interview like UOP does? When they send out the Nov. interview invites, will there be rejection letters or "deferred" letters?

I am not sure if they defer people but letters should be out near the end of October for the mid-November interview (that's what it says in the lack letter).

I am not sure if they defer people but letters should be out near the end of October for the mid-November interview (that's what it says in the lack letter).

I am confused. Is the "lack letter" the same as the "Checklist Report.rtf" which inform you whether or not your application is completed.

I am confused. Is the "lack letter" the same as the "Checklist Report.rtf" which inform you whether or not your application is completed.

Nope, those are two different things. You should be getting the lack letter (in the format lack.rtf or something) later on. I received the lack letter a few weeks after my checklist report.

Nope, those are two different things. You should be getting the lack letter (in the format lack.rtf or something) later on. I received the lack letter a few weeks after my checklist report.

oh no.. I received my checklist report on Sept 3 and have not received a "lack letter" What does that lack letter say if you don't mind me asking.

oh no.. I received my checklist report on Sept 3 and have not received a "lack letter" What does that lack letter say if you don't mind me asking.

It's just a letter listing the required classes for USC, and x's that list the classes you still need to take (for example, I wrote down that I'd take econ, mamm phys lab, etc this year and they checked those classes indicating that I haven't completed them yet).

I just checked my inbox and I received the checklist on Sept 4 and the lack letter on Sept 29.

It's just a letter listing the required classes for USC, and x's that list the classes you still need to take (for example, I wrote down that I'd take econ, mamm phys lab, etc this year and they checked those classes indicating that I haven't completed them yet).

I just checked my inbox and I received the checklist on Sept 4 and the lack letter on Sept 29.

ohh.. Thank you for checking your dates for me! :)

ohh.. Thank you for checking your dates for me! :)

Mine dates are a little more spread apart. I received my checklist on August 25th but I didn't receive my lack letter until September 23rd. So it took about a month for me.

How soon after PharmCAS mailed your application and you mailed your supplementals did it take for USC to email you the checklist?? thanks! =)

How soon after PharmCAS mailed your application and you mailed your supplementals did it take for USC to email you the checklist?? thanks! =)
PharmCAS mail date: 8/3
USC Supp completely finished/turned in: 8/6
Checklist mailed: 8/31
Lack letter mailed: 9/2

From my experience, early application completion makes a world of difference with USC. I would shoot to have apps completed no later than early August

a little off topic, but:

UCSF, UCSD on the other hand, does not consider early application submission as a factor (finish USC apps first!)

I submitted mine towards the end of September, do you think that's a little too late? My overall GPA is 3.55 as a chemistry major, but 3.93 for Organic and 3.75 for biochem. Thank you so much for your help

I submitted mine towards the end of September, do you think that's a little too late? My overall GPA is 3.55 as a chemistry major, but 3.93 for Organic and 3.75 for biochem. Thank you so much for your help

I think it makes a world of difference if you have a weak GPA. Your GPA is pretty solid. My friend submitted his application the very last day, got the last interview in March I believe, and got accepted.

I think it makes a world of difference if you have a weak GPA. Your GPA is pretty solid. My friend submitted his application the very last day, got the last interview in March I believe, and got accepted.

Did your friend have a high GPA or a low GPA?

Over the last few years that I've been watching things unfold, you won't know whether or not you'll be interviewing until you get an interview invite. If you don't have an invite by the first week of March you can be 99% certain you won't be getting one. Otherwise, it's just watch and wait. Pretty much you just watch the interview dates come and go and hope you get an invite before they're all gone. It's a rather bleak picture, but with a decent GPA you should be fine. Average cumulative GPA last year was ~3.65. When I came in 3 years ago it was a 3.5ish. Some people will have lower, most will be pretty close to the average. (They never tell us what the standard deviation is.)

Good luck:luck:

I wonder when the first round of interview letters will be sent out...getting anxious!

^soon I hope! the first one is on 11/21 and they have about a 3 week notice.

I got one too! The only thing was I was hoping for a January spot. Do you think I will be able to select a different interview date?

FIGHT ON!!!

got the 11:40 am interview

any idea as to how many get interviews/get accepted?