USC 2009-2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody thinking about doing any of the dual degree programs if you get in?

i was interested in the master of public health or infectious disease, but after i talked to the 1st year students at the interview it seems like not many students do them. kinda makes me worry that the workload may be too much to have to stay a summer or even another year.

Members don't see this ad :)

i was interested in the master of public health or infectious disease, but after i talked to the 1st year students at the interview it seems like not many students do them. kinda makes me worry that the workload may be too much to have to stay a summer or even another year.

I'm seriously considering the dual PharmD./M.S Regulatory Science program. I'm a little concerned about the workload, but I figure I'll determine if I want it enough to pursue it next year (if I'm admitted). I suspect I will.

Definitely looking into the PharmD./M.B.A. program if Im lucky enough to get in.

I plan on the PharmD/MBA dual degree as well. I am an accepted student for fall '10 and I'm strongly considering enrolling next year but I am still debating other schools (UIC, Iowa). Do you guys think USC gives me the best chance for success over those schools, especially for what I am trying to do?

Also I am from Chicago, go to Indiana University, I have no idea where a good place to live is. I am looking to find some roomates from class to live with so if anyone is interested or has good advice please pm me or post.

One more thing, good luck to all of you waiting. hopefully they speed this round up so we can figure out who well be spending the next few years together. join the facebook page too if you have not already.

So how many acceptance per interview date on average?

I'd have to go back in the thread to see how many people have been accepted so far this year, but after March it's ~185 minus however many have been accepted, minus TAP students (about 40 this year)
I'm thinking we've still got at least 60 to go, but I really don't remember.

Hmmm I really don't like the statistics for this round of interviewees... Someone mentioned that many TAP students were interviewing in March. I wonder how many exactly...

So after skimming over previous posts, this is what I found:

Nov interview: interviewed 144; 55 accepted
Jan interview: interviewed 100; 40 accepted
Feb interview: interviewed 100; 40 accepted

In Jan, 2 were accepted from AC from Nov interview.
(I couldn't find the numbers that were accepted from AC from Jan and Feb interviews; or maybe I missed it)

Anyway, that totals up to 137 students accepted! Someone mentioned that most TAP students were interviewing in March. Now, I doubt it's 40 TAP students interviewing in March, but if we were to add 40 to 137, that's 177! That's barely any seats left!!

K, so hypothetically, there were 30 TAP students in March interview, that means there were 70 non TAP students. And if you add 137 to 30, you get 167, so it means there are 13 spots left for non TAP. 13/70 = 18.57% of getting accepted in the last interview. That is not to mention that some may be pulled from AC from earlier interviews.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hmmm I really don't like the statistics for this round of interviewees... Someone mentioned that many TAP students were interviewing in March. I wonder how many exactly...

(I couldn't find the numbers that were accepted from AC from Jan and Feb interviews; or maybe I missed it)

Anyway, that totals up to 137 students accepted! Someone mentioned that most TAP students were interviewing in March. Now, I doubt it's 40 TAP students interviewing in March, but if we were to add 40 to 137, that's 177! That's barely any seats left!!

K, so hypothetically, there were 30 TAP students in March interview, that means there were 70 non TAP students. And if you add 137 to 30, you get 167, so it means there are 13 spots left for non TAP. 13/70 = 18.57% of getting accepted in the last interview. That is not to mention that some may be pulled from AC from earlier interviews.

You've just made me sad

Members don't see this ad :)

You can't really assume everyone who got accepted is going to be attending USC. There are many students each year that get accepted to USC but end up going to other schools like UCSF, UCSD,... Your chances will be better than what you calculated.

You can't really assume everyone who got accepted is going to be attending USC. There are many students each year that get accepted to USC but end up going to other schools like UCSF, UCSD,... Your chances will be better than what you calculated.

I'm thinking the same thing.
BTW Arrowheadgirl I interviewed in March as well.

Do people usually choose ucsf and ucsd over usc??

187 is the # of seats available
of course any school will always accept more than what is available..

for example, western university accepts approximately 190 for the 120 seats...

also, TAP students does not count against the 187...

just wait for the yellow envelope!! :laugh: :xf:

Phamcas stat shows that USC accepted total (including TAP) of 240 students and had a class of about 180 last year. So let's just be patient and wait.

I know it's early, but when you get accepted or hear from usc, please post!! (especially people from the march interview)

What does the class schedule at USC look like?

8 hour day--class, class, break, class, lunch, class? Or, distributed throughout the day?

What does the class schedule at USC look like?

8 hour day--class, class, break, class, lunch, class? Or, distributed throughout the day?

they said at the interview that it's 8-12pm per day, with an occasional to 5pm or something. specifics, i don't know.

they said at the interview that it's 8-12pm per day, with an occasional to 5pm or something. specifics, i don't know.

From what the P1's said, most classes are morning classes for P1, there are two main lecture rooms so the P2/3's apparently have class in the afternoons in the same rooms

Normal class schedule is 8-12 M-F and 1-3 on F
During your 4 week IPPE rotations you'll have class 1-4pm either M or T depending on whether you're Hospital/Community
Your rotations will be W/R 1-6 for those 4 weeks.
(The class is essentially split into 6 groups 3 Hosptial/3 community and each set will go 4 weeks at a time. 2 groups at the beginning of the semester, 2 in the middle, 2 at the end.)

They've been telling us (but seeing is believing) that they're coordinating exams so that instead of having multiple exams interspersed through the course of the semester that they'll have 1 or 2 mid-term weeks and the normal finals week. If that happens, then it'll be hard to say how it happens.
Currently exams are organized so that they occur 5:30-7:30(or 8:30) M-R or on Friday's.

Most intructors will break for 5-10 minutes for each hour of lecture, so you'd get 3 breaks, then lunch. Depending on your rotation schedule (see above) you'll probably go home after lunch. Most organizations schedule their workshops either during lunch or after P2's get out at 5pm.

187 is the # of seats available
of course any school will always accept more than what is available..

for example, western university accepts approximately 190 for the 120 seats...

also, TAP students does not count against the 187...

just wait for the yellow envelope!! :laugh: :xf:

TAP does count against the 187, my understanding is that there are ~39 TAP students this year and I'll guarantee they won't have a class of 227 when school starts. We do traditionally lose about 50-60 per year to UCSF, UCSD, and UOP. Not many to Western and none so far to LLU (that they've told us).
So, there'll be room for a few of you when all is said and done. Most schools are starting to wrap up their interviews and we'll probably see significant movement in May-June (if things stay as they have the last couple of years).

TAP does count against the 187, my understanding is that there are ~39 TAP students this year and I'll guarantee they won't have a class of 227 when school starts. We do traditionally lose about 50-60 per year to UCSF, UCSD, and UOP. Not many to Western and none so far to LLU (that they've told us).
So, there'll be room for a few of you when all is said and done. Most schools are starting to wrap up their interviews and we'll probably see significant movement in May-June (if things stay as they have the last couple of years).

thanx for clearing that up. it does make it sound like the march interviewees are back up plans for usc. that makes me sad. it is going to take people a while to notify usc that they are choosing to go to other schools. i really want to go to usc though. LLU is a religious school though, I think they require a priest as letter of rec or something like that. i didn't think i would qualify for that school.

Since most of the movement happens after the March decisions are made, do you know if that means that less are accepted and more are put on the waitlist from March or is there about the same accepted and waitlisted as the other dates?

Although UCSD only accepts 60 students, they send out 90~100 acceptance letters expecting about 50 people to go somewhere else. I hope USC does this as well and accept 230~240 students total including TAP students.

Although UCSD only accepts 60 students, they send out 90~100 acceptance letters expecting about 50 people to go somewhere else. I hope USC does this as well and accept 230~240 students total including TAP students.

is that what they really do? or maybe they eventually sent out that many acceptance letters by the end of the summer. I mean if they sent out 240 acceptance letters b/c people usually end up going elsewhere, what if there is a year where none of the 240 students go elsewhere? What if they all decide to go to usc? usc does not have 240 seats. I just think that sending acceptance letters out early is kinda risky for them. Plus, if they did that, the waiting list would not move at all!

Just my reasoning, I could be wrong... Anyone else?

is that what they really do? or maybe they eventually sent out that many acceptance letters by the end of the summer. I mean if they sent out 240 acceptance letters b/c people usually end up going elsewhere, what if there is a year where none of the 240 students go elsewhere? What if they all decide to go to usc? usc does not have 240 seats. I just think that sending acceptance letters out early is kinda risky for them. Plus, if they did that, the waiting list would not move at all!

Just my reasoning, I could be wrong... Anyone else?

Your reasoning is more logical, and that's what my reasoning is telling me, too, but I remember UCSD admin director saying this during the presentation. Maybe I miss understood or he didn't want to get into details and just spit out the stats.

Your reasoning is more logical, and that's what my reasoning is telling me, too, but I remember UCSD admin director saying this during the presentation. Maybe I miss understood or he didn't want to get into details and just spit out the stats.

you applied to ucsd too? Which is your top choice?

The other thing to remember is that if they got into USC first (let's say November) and then got into SF or SD and decided to decline USC, that spot is already open, despite us knowing about their original acceptance. Just saying the equation you're looking at is more likely 187-(x acceptances)+(y decline after acceptance)= z open seats. We kind of know x, we have no way to guess y.

The other thing to remember is that if they got into USC first (let's say November) and then got into SF or SD and decided to decline USC, that spot is already open, despite us knowing about their original acceptance. Just saying the equation you're looking at is more likely 187-(x acceptances)+(y decline after acceptance)= z open seats. We kind of know x, we have no way to guess y.

Especially since UCSF is mailing out a huge load of acceptances/denials this weekend. They finished their final review on Wed but no one has received any mail (yet). Probably Monday at the earliest for UCSF.

A question for you Farmercyst, do you know if the spots from declined acceptances go to AC people or the most recent March interviewers?

They said 3 to 5 weeks. Is it gonna be closer to 3 weeks or closer to 5 weeks?

i had heard 3-4 weeks, closer to 4.

Last year we submitted way too late in the cycle to be considered (end of Oct) and received the rejection letter towards the end of March/beginning of April (don't remember exactly when).

Given the 3-4 week timeframe that the March 20 applicants were given, that would put us well into mid-April... a couple of weeks after the bulk rejections would have gone out in last year's cycle.

That leaves us with a few possibilities:

1. The 2009-2010 admission cycle timeframe is entirely different from last year's (seems unlikely)
2. Bulk rejections for those who submitted too late are sent out well before the final acceptance decisions are made for those on "Active Consideration"
3. Admissions office is giving us an intentionally extended timeframe so that we won't bug them unnecessarily early (i.e. the underpromise/overdeliver philosophy)

Maybe Farmercyst can chime in if he has any insights into the process?

It took me exactly three weeks to receive my acceptance in the mail from the Feb interview.

It took me exactly three weeks to receive my acceptance in the mail from the Feb interview.

So the huge envelope was literally in your mailbox exactly 3 saturdays after your interview?

I interviewed Feb 20 and recieved my acceptance offer in the mail on 3/13. I also live on the other side of the country (New Jersey).

Especially since UCSF is mailing out a huge load of acceptances/denials this weekend. They finished their final review on Wed but no one has received any mail (yet). Probably Monday at the earliest for UCSF.

A question for you Farmercyst, do you know if the spots from declined acceptances go to AC people or the most recent March interviewers?

I'd wager that it's interspersed. My best guess it that everyone is on a single list and placement is based on their (Adcom's) application grading guidelines. Obviously if you haven't been interviewed you can't be ranked, but now that everyone has been interviewed, the previously accepted people's spots would given to those on top of the list regardless of whether they were just interviewed in March or have been on AC since November. All of this is conjecture on my part, but it seems most fair/logical.

Last year we submitted way too late in the cycle to be considered (end of Oct) and received the rejection letter towards the end of March/beginning of April (don't remember exactly when).

Given the 3-4 week timeframe that the March 20 applicants were given, that would put us well into mid-April... a couple of weeks after the bulk rejections would have gone out in last year's cycle.

That leaves us with a few possibilities:

1. The 2009-2010 admission cycle timeframe is entirely different from last year's (seems unlikely)
2. Bulk rejections for those who submitted too late are sent out well before the final acceptance decisions are made for those on "Active Consideration"
3. Admissions office is giving us an intentionally extended timeframe so that we won't bug them unnecessarily early (i.e. the underpromise/overdeliver philosophy)

Maybe Farmercyst can chime in if he has any insights into the process?

The other thing to consider here is that the office of student affairs (Jim Granderson's office) is involved in more than just applications and acceptances for the new class. Right now they are also prepping the 4th years for graduation, licensing exams, etc. So just this week the 4th years were in for their mandatory meeting to discuss the loan process now that they'll be out of school with all this debt, as well as what materials need to be prepared to file for their pharmacist license, exam registration procedures, etc. So they're coordinating all of that in addition to preparing letters of acceptance, denial, waitlist letters, etc. I'd suggest to be patient. Perhaps, given they've been doing this for awhile, it may still only be 3 weeks, but maybe not.

I was a November interviewee and am still on AC
I really hope I get in!!!

me too vcb, its been way too long of a wait. did you get into any other schools?

Anyone on AC send letter of intent?? Deciding whether it will hurt my chances or not

Anyone on AC send letter of intent?? Deciding whether it will hurt my chances or not

Results vary and there's no real way to tell if it was just your time to be accepted or if it was actually the letter of intent that did it. It probably wouldn't hurt, but I've not evidence that says it helps either.:confused:

I'd wager that it's interspersed. My best guess it that everyone is on a single list and placement is based on their (Adcom's) application grading guidelines. Obviously if you haven't been interviewed you can't be ranked, but now that everyone has been interviewed, the previously accepted people's spots would given to those on top of the list regardless of whether they were just interviewed in March or have been on AC since November. All of this is conjecture on my part, but it seems most fair/logical.

Cool, thank you.