USAP Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude. I worked with tons of military people. There are flight logs federal officials can legally document to be tax free being in combat tax free zone.
Dude. I've done five deployments and spent, in aggregate, several years of my life on active duty in combat zones. I've claimed the exclusion on my taxes a number of times over the last 20 years. (And in later years, came up hard against the cap because as a senior officer my taxable military pay exceeded that of the seniormost enlisted member.) I don't know what your military buddies told you or how you misunderstood them, but again, you don't have the first goddamn clue what you're talking about.

The CZTE applies only to military service members. The IRS has a page that lists where these locations are. Ukraine isn't one of them, for reasons that should be obvious. "Congresspeople" aren't in the military and they aren't riding cargo planes anyplace to execute some kind of combat zone tax free stock trade. This myth is so mind-numbingly stupid on multiple levels I hardly know where to begin.

Military servicemembers have, indeed, been able to claim the exclusion for an entire calendar month merely by flying in and out of a combat zone. Stories abound of enlisted ground crew airmen hitching rides on cargo planes from Turkey or other places into Iraq and Afghanistan, in order to get the benefit.

US citizens working in combat zones, may, under some circumstances, be eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, even if their permanent residence remains within the United States, but there are some other limits and requirements. The deduction is capped at about $100K. Federal employees are specifically excluded. So are military servicemembers (who get the CZTE). Notably, the "single day" bit that qualifies a military servicemember for the CZTE doesn't work for them. I think I've read that they need 330+ days in the zone to qualify but I'm not sure.

A few years ago a bill was introduced in the House that would have allowed civilians working in a combat zone to claim the CZTE, but I don't think it ever made it out of committee. It certainly isn't law. If nothing else, the fact that this bill was even introduced in the first place should clearly prove to you that civilians were not eligible for the CZTE benefit.

And yes. There is legislation in the works for the drones from remote locations as well.
I never said it wasn't; and I am in fact aware of efforts to extend certain benefits to drone "pilots" in CONUS as if they were actually overseas. There's legislation in the works for all kinds of things. What's most interesting about all of those things is that they're utterly irrelevant to any discussion of current tax law.

The killer is that anybody with 10 minutes and an understanding of where to find Google could've learned all of the above, but you're so sure you know everything that it never occurs to you to question or fact check anything.

I don't really have high hopes that you'll absorb or understand any of this information either. Try firing up that home theater screen you fraudulently claimed as a business expense, pull up this post, spin up the font size real big, and read it again. Maybe that'll help.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Dude. I've done five deployments and spent, in aggregate, several years of my life on active duty in combat zones. I've claimed the exclusion on my taxes a number of times over the last 20 years. (And in later years, came up hard against the cap because as a senior officer my taxable military pay exceeded that of the seniormost enlisted member.) I don't know what your military buddies told you or how you misunderstood them, but again, you don't have the first goddamn clue what you're talking about.

The CZTE applies only to military service members. The IRS has a page that lists where these locations are. Ukraine isn't one of them, for reasons that should be obvious. "Congresspeople" aren't in the military and they aren't riding cargo planes anyplace to execute some kind of combat zone tax free stock trade. This myth is so mind-numbingly stupid on multiple levels I hardly know where to begin.

Military servicemembers have, indeed, been able to claim the exclusion for an entire calendar month merely by flying in and out of a combat zone. Stories abound of enlisted ground crew airmen hitching rides on cargo planes from Turkey or other places into Iraq and Afghanistan, in order to get the benefit.

US citizens working in combat zones, may, under some circumstances, be eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, even if their permanent residence remains within the United States, but there are some other limits and requirements. The deduction is capped at about $100K. Federal employees are specifically excluded. So are military servicemembers (who get the CZTE). Notably, the "single day" bit that qualifies a military servicemember for the CZTE doesn't work for them. I think I've read that they need 330+ days in the zone to qualify but I'm not sure.

A few years ago a bill was introduced in the House that would have allowed civilians working in a combat zone to claim the CZTE, but I don't think it ever made it out of committee. It certainly isn't law. If nothing else, the fact that this bill was even introduced in the first place should clearly prove to you that civilians were not eligible for the CZTE benefit.

I never said it wasn't; and I am in fact aware of efforts to extend certain benefits to drone "pilots" in CONUS as if they were actually overseas. There's legislation in the works for all kinds of things. What's most interesting about all of those things is that they're utterly irrelevant to any discussion of current tax law.

The killer is that anybody with 10 minutes and an understanding of where to find Google could've learned all of the above, but you're so sure you know everything that it never occurs to you to question or fact check anything.

I don't really have high hopes that you'll absorb or understand any of this information either. Try firing up that home theater screen you fraudulently claimed as a business expense, pull up this post, spin up the font size real big, and read it again. Maybe that'll help.

This is sad i was planning on getting into congress to take advantage of this tax loophole

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So what’s the latest in Colorado? How’s the market look post USAP? Private groups forming or hospital employed positions abound? Seemed like there were a few more gasworks postings.

Members don't see this ad :)

FTC voting soon to ban noncompete clauses for most Americans. It took a little over 15 months from when it was first proposed with over 26,000 public comments.

We'll see how the vote goes, the board is composed of 5 members - currently 3D and 2R (the board can't be composed of more than 3 people of the same party). I'm cautiously optimistic, but there's no doubt even if it goes through it will still be challenged in Court and that could go on for a while.

"FTC estimates a rule banning noncompetes would increase the earnings of the American workforce by as much as $296 billion per year."

Reactions: 1 user

FTC voting soon to ban noncompete clauses for most Americans. It took a little over 15 months from when it was first proposed with over 26,000 public comments.

We'll see how the vote goes, the board is composed of 5 members - currently 3D and 2R (the board can't be composed of more than 3 people of the same party). I'm cautiously optimistic, but there's no doubt even if it goes through it will still be challenged in Court and that could go on for a while.

"FTC estimates a rule banning noncompetes would increase the earnings of the American workforce by as much as $296 billion per year."
If they truly do away with noncompetes in healthcare, it will be the wild west.

Reactions: 3 users
The may try to make healthcare mid levels and physician the exceptions

I'm not sure I understand your thought. You think removing non-competes will be bad for anesthesiologists because it will lead to more midlevel encroachment?

Presumably midlevels would benefit from the lack of non-competes as much as physicians and would be equally capable of moving to greener pastures.

I'm not sure I understand your thought. You think removing non-competes will be bad for anesthesiologists because it will lead to more midlevel encroachment?

Presumably midlevels would benefit from the lack of non-competes as much as physicians and would be equally capable of moving to greener pastures.
No he is saying that maintaining noncompetes for docs and midlevels ould be bad for hospitals. So the FTC may carve out an exemption and keep those in place.

No he is saying that maintaining noncompetes for docs and midlevels ould be bad for hospitals. So the FTC may carve out an exemption and keep those in place.

Ah ok.

The article did list at least one exception, but there could be other future exceptions made:

"The FTC's proposed rule did include a notable exception for noncompete agreements between sellers and buyers of businesses, meant to protect the value of the businesses being acquired. The two sides could still enter a noncompete agreement provided the seller had at least a 25% ownership interest in the business being sold."

So the vote was along party lines. As much as I think this is a good thing for America, I'm very skeptical this will survive SCOTUS.

Chevron deference is hanging on by a thread.

The legal arguments Republicans will hang their hats on are going to find a sympathetic ear. But the practical arguments against this policy that I've heard are garbage.

Reactions: 1 users