US residency to Canadian Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamesmtl

Pleonastically Redundant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Question: While most discussions centre around the hemorrhaging of Canadian MDs to the US, how difficult is it for a US MD to come here. More specifically, I might be attending UCD in Ireland in September and am wondering what, after completing a residency in the US, my chances are of being able to return to Canada. What are the necessary steps?? I will have already sat the USMLEs....do i have to write the Canadian equivalent?? I would like to do FP, preferably in QC. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Jamesmtl said:
Hey all, Question: While most discussions centre around the hemorrhaging of Canadian MDs to the US, how difficult is it for a US MD to come here. More specifically, I might be attending UCD in Ireland in September and am wondering what, after completing a residency in the US, my chances are of being able to return to Canada. What are the necessary steps?? I will have already sat the USMLEs....do i have to write the Canadian equivalent?? I would like to do FP, preferably in QC. Thanks

I believe it is actually quite difficult for a foreign graduate to immigrate to Canada. Though, I did read that some provinces are pushing to accept the USMLE for American docs who want to cross the border. Not up to date on that though. Perhaps someone has some more info... Anyone?

Hi James,

I've also looked into this myself. Check out: CFPC Eligibility Requirements & General Information

B) Graduates of Family Medicine Residency Programs Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)

1. All applicants who are graduates of ACGME accredited family medicine residency programs who are seeking eligibility to sit the Certification Examination in Family Medicine must either be members of the College of Family Physicians of Canada or must submit an application for membership at the time they apply to sit the examination. They must be members at the time they sit the examination.
2. Applicants must provide proof of registration in an ACGME-accredited residency training program in Family Medicine.
3. Applicants from ACGME accredited family medicine residency programs are eligible to sit the examination during the last six months of their training programs.
4. Certification in the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CCFP)will be granted when the candidate has:
a) Successfully completed the CFPC Certification Examination in Family Medicine;
b) Successfully completed ACGME accredited post-graduate training in family medicine as verified by the family medicine postgraduate director;
c) Become a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice.
I'm not sure about Quebec, but in Ontario the USMLE's have been deemed equivalent to the MCCQE 1 and 2. However, to be eligible for private practice in Ontario, the CPSO has additional requirements in addition to CFPC certification:
i. having passed MCCQE Part 1 and 2 or its equivalent;
ii. participating in an enhanced, specialty-specific quality assurance program;
iii. participating in an accredited specialty-specific program of continuing professional development (e.g., RCPSC or CFPC);
iv. satisfactorily completing a specialty-specific peer assessment at the end of one year of practice.
I don't know what these other requirements entail, though. I hope this helps.

cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamesmtl said:

Dammit, James, you're gonna get into McGill so stop stressing. :p And even if you don't, you might be better off applying again next year to every Canadian school - with your stats, someone will take you for sure. Cheaper than Ireland and far less hassle down the road. And you're not, by any means, old. Hey, here's a thought: if you don't get in this year, spend a year learning French and add the three French schools to your app list. They only care about numbers, so with your GPA you're golden. And the books are in English and you can write all your exams in English.

That said, I'm sure the US-to-Canada path could be done, but it would be a long and pointless exercise for you to go the IMG route when you want to stay in Quebec (as an FP, no less!!!). Believe me, folks, this boy is just trippin'. He'll be fine.

:rolleyes: Thanks Trustwomen....I like your French idea....my UdeM interview was a horrifying experience....i need to improve my French greatly. I am however very impatient :oops: !! Anyway....fancy you visiting these blogs....with all you have to do i wouldnt think you'd have time :laugh: :laugh: Just joshin ya!

Jamesmtl said:
:rolleyes: Thanks Trustwomen....I like your French idea....my UdeM interview was a horrifying experience....i need to improve my French greatly. I am however very impatient :oops: !! Anyway....fancy you visiting these blogs....with all you have to do i wouldnt think you'd have time :laugh: :laugh: Just joshin ya!

Damn straight I don't have time! But that isn't going to stop me. :laugh:
Actually, all I have right now is exam prep. It's not too bad.

Don't be so impatient! Time is definitely on your side here. The extra year you could spend now (learning, having fun, living life fully in a kick@ss city) would probably save you at least a year down the road (trying to gain Canadian equivalencies, stressing, dealing with a million bureaucratic steps, not to mention having to live somewhere you don't want to be).

Did you hear back from UdeM? They blew me off this year (just like last year...)

UdeM sent me that stupid french test thing but i didn't go. I would NEVER have scored the required mark nor do i have time to stress about it. Concerning studying abroad my decision isn't as impulsive as it might seem. If it were the Caribbean i would try again another year...this is not because i think the quality of education there is less..not at all. It's because i feel as if there is no cultural gain going there....its simply the "quickest/easiest" path to MD. Conversely, i think 5 years in Ireland would be an amazing experience...and EU certification is always a bonus...especially considering i want to do MSF work. Debt sucks! Bureaucracy sucks...but hey, besides the government find me something more bureaucratic than the licensing/practice of medicine (ESPECIALLY here). I've said i wanted to live in Paris since i first went there at 15 and maybe this is my chance. I feel like if i dont go after these crazy opportunities im missing out...maybe, maybe not. In short, Ireland isn't my "ticket" into med....it's more a choice than a backup....although MCGILL....IF YOU'RE LISTENING.....ID LOVE TO STAY HERE TOO....so accept me..... :D

Oh.....and what do you mean by they "blew you off"?? No iterview??

The way to do things in this province is to get a CRC of 38 in CEGEP, volunteer as of 14 yrs old, and get a private high school education.....unfortunately, some of us LIVE during our childhood instead. Mind you i wouldn't mind being an MD at 23.....but i'd never trade my B.Sc for it....

Jamesmtl said:
The way to do things in this province is to get a CRC of 38 in CEGEP, volunteer as of 14 yrs old, and get a private high school education.....unfortunately, some of us LIVE during our childhood instead. Mind you i wouldn't mind being an MD at 23.....but i'd never trade my B.Sc for it....

You're absolutely right. But hey, it's still better than in France, where they won't let you into medical school at all if you're over 25. I suspect that the "French influence" is what leads Quebec to train its doctors really young (med-Ps start med school at 20... WOW) when compared to elsewhere in Canada.

I "lived" pretty hard from 17 to 21 and wouldn't trade it for anything... :)