US news rankings- overhyped?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericthomp83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forwarded to my by someone from Cedars. Name redacted to protect the original sender's identity- suffice it to say that he/she is among the leadership at the institution. Surprising to see how important US news rankings are and how academic centers are actively trying to boost their ranks. As a medical group why are we paying so much attention to these rankings? It was disheartening to see a famous physician stooping to these levels.

"
Dear colleague,
Reputation plays a major role in the scoring for U.S. News & World Report’s rankings of the nation’s top hospitals. U.S. Newshas partnered with Doximity to conduct the survey online through its website. The survey is now available for you to make your nomination.
Since 2013, the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute has been ranked #1 in the western USA, and in the top ten nationally, by U.S. News & World Report in cardiology and heart surgery. Your active advocacy can help us to maintain our excellent rank and perhaps to boost it even further.
If you have signed up for Doximity, you will receive an email asking you to log into your Doximity account to submit your specialty recommendations. This will be your opportunity to mention Cedars-Sinai as a top program in the cardiology and heart surgery category. Be sure to check your emails and Doximity account regularly for these notifications. If you have not yet joined Doximity, you can easily do so at Doximity.
To be certain that my own vote counts, I will be naming all variants of the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in my top ranking: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute, Cedars-Sinai Smidt Heart Institute, Smidt Heart Institute of Cedars-Sinai, and Cedars-Sinai Health System. I also will refrain from nominating any other institutions.

Thank you for your participation in this important opportunity to have your voices heard in the Best Hospitals survey process.
Best Regards,
XXX
XXXX, MD, PhD

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Ranked #1 Cardiology and Heart Surgery Program in the Western USA, 2013-2018

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Forwarded to my by someone from Cedars. Name redacted to protect the original sender's name- suffice it to say that he/she is among the leadership at the institution. Surprising to see how important US news rankings are and how academic centers are actively trying to boost their ranks. As a medical group why are we paying so much attention to these rankings?

"
Dear colleague,
Reputation plays a major role in the scoring for U.S. News & World Report’s rankings of the nation’s top hospitals. U.S. Newshas partnered with Doximity to conduct the survey online through its website. The survey is now available for you to make your nomination.
Since 2013, the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute has been ranked #1 in the western USA, and in the top ten nationally, by U.S. News & World Report in cardiology and heart surgery. Your active advocacy can help us to maintain our excellent rank and perhaps to boost it even further.
If you have signed up for Doximity, you will receive an email asking you to log into your Doximity account to submit your specialty recommendations. This will be your opportunity to mention Cedars-Sinai as a top program in the cardiology and heart surgery category. Be sure to check your emails and Doximity account regularly for these notifications. If you have not yet joined Doximity, you can easily do so at Doximity.
To be certain that my own vote counts, I will be naming all variants of the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in my top ranking: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute, Cedars-Sinai Smidt Heart Institute, Smidt Heart Institute of Cedars-Sinai, and Cedars-Sinai Health System. I also will refrain from nominating any other institutions.

Thank you for your participation in this important opportunity to have your voices heard in the Best Hospitals survey process.
Best Regards,
XXX
XXXX, MD, PhD

pathetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Forwarded to my by someone from Cedars. Name redacted to protect the original sender's name- suffice it to say that he/she is among the leadership at the institution. Surprising to see how important US news rankings are and how academic centers are actively trying to boost their ranks. As a medical group why are we paying so much attention to these rankings?

"
Dear colleague,

Best Regards,
XXX
XXXX, MD, PhD

People pay attention because it's easy to look at a list and scroll to the top.

Agree the lists don't mean a lot but if a program is near the top of one, you can assure yourself they will let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't surprise me one bit. Anyone in worth their salt in medical community knows these rankings don't mean much. Those who care are the hospitals themselves (for bragging rights and marketing), patients (who the rankings are intended for) and ignorant med students/residents. I've heard many stories of what some bigtime hospitals do for these rankings, considering much of the score is based on data collected from the hospital, which can be creatively manipulated to make things look better than it is. You can bet jobs are on the line regarding rankings. Some of these top hospitals are legit, but I know of some that are seriously flawed. Despite the intent, I think most patients don't know the difference, they go with what their insurance covers, which doctor they like, etc. Then you have the ignorant med student or resident who associates the US news ranking with overall training program ranking, which are totally unrelated.

Completely agree. It is bothersome to see such a practice. Gives you the impression that it is all about gaming the system.
I would have thought an administrator would have sent such an email, not a well published physician. Tells you how much hospitals and administrators (and people on this forum) are hostage to such rankings.

Last edited: