US Medical Candidate interested in working in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WindingRoad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in working in UK after residency. Does anyone know what tests need to be taken and applications need be filed in order to work semi-permenantly in the UK? Is this difficult to do? How long shall I anticipate this process to take? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in working in UK after residency. Does anyone know what tests need to be taken and applications need be filed in order to work semi-permenantly in the UK? Is this difficult to do? How long shall I anticipate this process to take? Thanks for the help.

See my response to another person above. If you have an EU passport, you do not need to take any tests. What do you mean, "semi-permanently"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you still had to take the PLAB if you went to med school outside of the U.S.--even if you have a British passport? Is that incorrect?
Yes, this is incorrect. This is something I really do not think is fair. If you are a UK/EU citizen, you can work in ANY EU country, UK included, without taking any further tests. It does not matter which school you went to; it may well be in the US, Pakistan, India or wherever. Check on GMC website.

Yes, this is incorrect. This is something I really do not think is fair. If you are a UK/EU citizen, you can work in ANY EU country, UK included, without taking any further tests. It does not matter which school you went to; it may well be in the US, Pakistan, India or wherever. Check on GMC website.
Nice. I'm British and I'm attending a U.S. medical school. I'll investigate residencies when I'm over there this year on a clinical attachment. Thanks.